Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423677 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Big Pharma Shenanigans Edition
« Reply #5430 on: April 13, 2021, 11:55:12 am »

I think the risk benefit is clear too, but I also think that the medical establishment has centuries of history of not studying women's bodies and not paying attention to risks they face. If there's enough vaccine in the US, then pausing is fine. It might not be the right time to die on this particular hill but I'm honestly relieved that they're not just saying "who cares."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: April 13, 2021, 03:35:04 pm »

It's not like the the Pfizer/Moderna mrna vaccines have been free of the odd catastrophic adverse reaction either, but blanket stops haven't been rolled out for either of them. I wonder why?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: April 13, 2021, 03:55:56 pm »

Is that sarcasm?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: April 14, 2021, 08:04:28 am »

For a no vaccine regime we are getting here, I would gladly take the chance of the moderna/pfizer. The chances of dying of one in hundreds of thousands is far more atractive that the chances of dying of corona in one in a hundred or two hundred. I bet Venezuela has a bigger death rate but most likely, like almost everything here, we'll never get to know the true magnitude.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: April 14, 2021, 11:08:26 am »

The risk of thrombosis with these vaccines seems to be 1 per million
The risk of thrombosis with covid is 1 in 5.

TBH I think the risk benefit is clear
No, it's one in 1000000. Still way below the risk of trombosis from 'the pill' for women, but not entirely negligable either.
I am going to ask my doctor for Pfizer or Moderna. My dad got unexplained trombosis age 39, a wound that never healed for the rest of his life. He died of heart attack age 51, when I was 15.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: April 14, 2021, 11:20:48 am »

The risk of thrombosis with these vaccines seems to be 1 per million
The risk of thrombosis with covid is 1 in 5.

TBH I think the risk benefit is clear
No, it's one in 1.000.000. Still way below the risk of trombosis from 'the pill' for women, but not entirely negligable either.
I am going to ask my doctor for Pfizer or Moderna. My dad got unexplained trombosis age 39, a wound that never healed for the rest of his life. He died of heart attack age 51, when I was 15.
1.000.000 = one million. Your math is weak old man.

By all means get the pfizer vaccine if you can. I mean its a better vaccine than Janssen or Oxford-AZ hands down re covid.
But the risk of thrombosis is pretty negligible and not clearly associated to any risk factors.  Tbh the limiting factors here whether the govt in the NL wants to give you AZ or Janssen and/or whether it has pfizer available
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:26:20 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: April 14, 2021, 03:28:10 pm »

Oh I accidentally double-typed a zero, I meant to type 100000. At least that what's my newspapers have been saying for the past week.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: April 14, 2021, 03:53:17 pm »

Oh I accidentally double-typed a zero, I meant to type 100000.
Ahhh...  But which zero did you double-type?

(IGMC)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: April 14, 2021, 04:21:54 pm »

It depends on the vaccine and the numbers. Janssen so far is on 1 per million numbers. AZ a bit more, though the exact # depends on who you ask. British reported rates are lower, German ones  are higher. *Lethal* thrombosis however is on the lines of 1 per million in either reported numbers. And covid is still way, way worse. Like I said, if you can get pfizer then sure go for it. But if the questiom is AZ now or pfizer in 3 months, its another matter (almost assuredly it isnt, if pfizer makes good its latest humongous promise to the EU... and they have been more compliant than most. But you never know
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: April 14, 2021, 04:28:41 pm »

Hahaha 3 months. If only. People in my country, of my age, are expected to, maybe, if no more pauses and semi-temporary temporary unstopped stopped vaccination pauses occur, get a AZ shot somewhere around july - august (at least, that was the plan BEFORE AZ and J&J were short on supply and/or paused). I have no idea if asking for Pfizer or Moderna will make that take even longer. We have both Pfizer and Moderna available, they are just not earmarked for my demoraphic.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: April 14, 2021, 04:35:09 pm »

Pfizer promised to deliver 250 million vaccines between April and June.

That being said: if you're *really* that sidelined for a Pfizer vaccine I'd very much advise not to say no to an Astra Zeneca vaccine. Specially if you're worried about cardiovascular and/or thrombotic risk: covid19 is waaay worse than the AZ vaccine in that regard. Thrombosis is 1 in five.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: April 14, 2021, 11:41:37 pm »

250 million doses is just 125 million people. Roughly a quarter of the population

Assuming martinuzz is fairly young, his assessment about timing is probably accurate.

Personally I am in the last quarter of population in Italy and don't expect anything for a long time yet. I was aiming for AZ or J&Jin September, but that seems like it won't happen.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: April 14, 2021, 11:57:22 pm »

Catching Covid is far more dangerous than risks of any vaccine. If you're lucky enough to have one available to you, suck it up and take the damn thing.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: April 15, 2021, 02:54:18 am »

I'm 42, that's fairly young for vaccination queue purposes  :P

Are those 250 million doses for the entire EU?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: April 15, 2021, 10:13:34 am »

First moderna shot get. Shot 2 on the 13th, at which point my entire household will have got it.

So far side effects pretty mild. Bit of a headache, some arm pain, maybe a bit tired. Probably could have gotten through work today, but I'll take the boss telling me to just stay home. It's not major but it's definitely noticeable.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 459