Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423736 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Son of the Mask edition
« Reply #5820 on: September 06, 2021, 12:46:45 am »

Hooray!  Yeah the personal risk isn't that high for us... eh, relatively, young people.  But I'm glad you're through it.  I still think it gave me a pervasive brain-fog until I got fully vaccinated though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: September 06, 2021, 10:44:23 am »

Yes, anyone reading this thread who is not militantly opposed to vaccination but has just been putting it off should go get their shots Right Now. The peace of mind for you and grandma is too important.

(One of my friends just got her third shot. Protect the immunocompromised people who you love! And those you don't!)

Also we're below 30% ICU capacity across the country, apparently, and 0% in some places (e.g. Oregon). Do yer part to keep people out of the ICU so that if you get hit by a car or something, there's a bed for ya.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: September 06, 2021, 12:25:08 pm »

Even my wife and I got the commrade vaccine, c'mon you unvaccined reader, just do it.

And after vaccination just keep the sanitary measures. If most population were vaccined and we keep the measures for a little while the virus would actually die out.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: September 06, 2021, 12:38:36 pm »

Even my wife and I got the commrade vaccine, c'mon you unvaccined reader, just do it.

And after vaccination just keep the sanitary measures. If most population were vaccined and we keep the measures for a little while the virus would actually die out.

Too much common sense. We should call it exotic sense.
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: September 06, 2021, 12:39:59 pm »

And not only corona, but hopefully other nasty bugs too.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: September 06, 2021, 02:48:03 pm »

Sadly, it might not - it seems to hav found new animal reservoirs that can keep reinfecting people.

But some good news is they are testing a vaccine for the whole family corona viruses.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 02:52:40 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: September 06, 2021, 06:07:46 pm »

Oh crap.... well, hopefully in a few years there would be a complete vaccine then.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: September 06, 2021, 06:32:03 pm »

Sadly, it might not - it seems to hav found new animal reservoirs that can keep reinfecting people.

But some good news is they are testing a vaccine for the whole family corona viruses.
Yes, because people regularly go to deer concerts.

If everyone was vaccinated and we were sensible for a couple of months this crap would peter out. As it is, odds are we'll keep getting waves until between vaccines and reinfections there's enough background immunity to safely ignore it (as opposed to now in which its being unsafely ignored)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: September 06, 2021, 07:14:19 pm »

If everyone was vaccinated and we were sensible for a couple of months this crap would peter out. As it is, odds are we'll keep getting waves until between vaccines and reinfections there's enough background immunity to safely ignore it (as opposed to now in which its being unsafely ignored)
Thinking that a majority of people could act sensibly for more than a week is not very sensible. And it's not just the deer and it only take one interaction and every infection is a chance for a variant that gets around existing immunity.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: September 07, 2021, 03:08:15 am »

Thinking that a majority of people could act sensibly for more than a week is not very sensible.
This is a bit of a circular argument,  but granted, prople wont act sensibly
And it's not just the deer and it only take one interaction  and every infection is a chance for a variant that gets around existing immunity
No, but there are not many clinical reservoirs (or for that matter documented new infections from animals). I dont know what you mean with interaction there... And every infection is a  (small)chance for a new strain, but obviously not every infection is a new strain.

Besides the scenario about which we are talking is precisedly to play it safe to minimize infections to avoid all that. Which is worth noting that several countries have done successfuly. Again, the problem with infections is exponential growth... but decreases are also exponential. If you prevent one infection who in turn would infect 6 people who in turn... you see my point. Nipping it in the bud  helps.

That most of the world is doing the insane thing of letting it run its course doesnt mean its the only option.  I'll grant you that sensible or not its the scenario our dear leaders have accepted, and thus at this point the most inportant thing is personal safety while we wait for this shit to finally end :/

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 03:20:41 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: September 07, 2021, 03:18:00 am »

I very nearly used the phrase "Better a lockdown last slightly longer than necessary than every new lockdown is slightly shorter than necessary" in various conversations over the last year and a half, including last week.

In some ways it became both more and less useful as an argument, as time went on.

Anyway, if deer are a problem reservoir, stop people hunting them, for a year. I'm sure the kind of people who do that will understand, and it's not as if anyone's trying to perfectly reasonably cut down on their guns, right? ;)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: September 07, 2021, 03:21:32 am »

I'm one of the people who goes to those, it's not for everyone but I like them.

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: September 07, 2021, 08:09:25 am »

Anyway, if deer are a problem reservoir, stop people hunting them, for a year.

Many places will have a host of different issues if you do this.  (Just do a search for "results of overpopulation of deer" for a hint at what this can do to an ecosystem.)

What's that quote?  "For every problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong" (H.L. Menken)?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: September 07, 2021, 08:11:41 am »

meh it's the tale hunters like to tell,meanwhile many places feed the deer in winter so they have something to shootey shootey
let

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: September 07, 2021, 03:43:49 pm »

Anyway, if deer are a problem reservoir, stop people hunting them, for a year.

Many places will have a host of different issues if you do this.  (Just do a search for "results of overpopulation of deer" for a hint at what this can do to an ecosystem.)

What's that quote?  "For every problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong" (H.L. Menken)?
I already thought of that.

You also should increase the numbers of wolves, mountain lions, alligators, etc, as appropriate[1] to the habitat.

I challenge you to argue that I am being simple, elegant and wrong, with this suggestion.

[1] Or not! The world surely needs to see a Rocky Mountain Alligator, as a key apex predator...
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 459