Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421475 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:New Year, New Variant Edition
« Reply #6390 on: February 09, 2022, 06:15:50 am »

I wasn't kidding a few days ago when I said that you'd be surprised how many people refuse to have their medical data shared with the national medical database. Crap like this is why.
I always assumed it was the electoral roll that did me in. Always getting robot calls claiming I'm being done in for tax fraud or won the lottery

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: February 09, 2022, 06:33:33 am »

I'm slightly terrified.
Those prank calls are the least of evils that can be done with the data stolen.

They have all the nescessary information to buy property on my name, or hire a warehouse in the harbor to smuggle cocaine in, and I would never know (until in the former case, the tax service comes knocking, or in the latter case, a SWAT team lifts me off my bed in the middle of the night).

The only thing that could really be done to stop that threat is for our government to destroy all census data and social security numbers and give everyone a new identity
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 06:41:00 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: February 09, 2022, 08:40:19 am »

And then afterwards, take data security fucking seriously.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: February 09, 2022, 08:57:17 am »

I've been warning and ranting about this for ages.

A few years ago, a new law was passed for coffeeshops (they dutch type, that sells weed and hasj). They were no longer allowed to sell weed to foreigners, 'to reduce nuisances caused by drug tourism'.

As for the practival application, my city municipality distributed scanners and software to make full colour scans of our passports, so the coffeeshops could check the residency of their customers.
Don't ask me why they couldn't just have the store clerks check someone's passport without scanning it. It makes no sense.

I considered this whole thing strange, and me, having been local politician for one of our major political parties for years and knowing my way around the municipalities' telephone numbers and civil servants a bit, made some calls to inquire whether there were any measures in place for supervision and control of what happened to the full colour scans of the passports...

There were none.

This made me send a letter to our dutch version of the FBI (AIVD), to inform them that our city (and probably many more) gave full colour scans of passports away of tens of thousands of people (per city) for free to the underground criminal circuit, with a cherry on top.

With the know-how, you don't want to know what people of malicious intent can do with a full colour passport scan. You really don't.

A few weeks after my letter to the AIVD, the new law was put on ice and no longer enforced. Coffeeshops no longer scan passports.

It does not comfort me that now, not only is my full colour passport out in the criminal open, now they have all sorts of additional sensitive personal information to go with it as well. My identity (and that of many others) is so compromised right now, I can't even begin to describe it.

Let's say that movie, 'the Net' is scratching the surface of it.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: February 09, 2022, 09:36:04 am »

Let's say that movie, 'the Net' is scratching the surface of it.

God, that’s an obscure reference if I’ve ever seen one. That movie was the epitome of pre-2000s cheese.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: February 09, 2022, 11:02:25 am »

I know I'm British, which puts me in a particularly non-European mindset even if I would have prefered to still being European more than I am now, but the idea of requiring a passport to be served at a local (to me) establishment is... Strange. The people who would be more likely to habitually carry their passports around here would be the foreigners who needed them to get here.

Yet "But first, can I see your passport", "Sure, here it is!", "Aha! By being actually able to prove that you are foreign, I am now obliged to refuse to serve you. Have a nice day!" is a much stranger filtering mechanism that probably won't hack it.

(I don't even carry a photo-Id, habitually. I'll even go out without a bank-card, at times, even though that's probably better two-factor authentication - without going beyond everyday equipment - than my driving license. And only marginally less definitive of residency.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: February 09, 2022, 11:09:25 am »

Carrying a passport/ID isn't habitual here. It's mandatory. I think the fine for not carrying when asked by a police officer is 130 euros, possibly more nowadays.

I went to a protest against it when that law was passed some 10 years ago, mumbling angry 'Ausweisspflicht' sounds (that's what the Germans called it when they forced it upon us during WW2 occupation).

A law like that was still in the 'unthinkable' and 'political suicide' universe when I grew up, but yeah, 9/11 changed things worldwide.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: February 09, 2022, 11:24:02 am »

Maybe we're conflating passport and ID. To Americans, Passports are your travel documents. Your ID is your local/national ID.

You're supposed to have your US ID on you at all times, although I think the laws regarding it vary state to state. And when you're abroad, most Americans understand the need to have your passport on you at all times.

But it would be weird for us to carry our passports around with us here in the US.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: February 09, 2022, 11:31:11 am »

The difference between ID and passport over here is that ID allows travel between Schengen nations, a passport is needed for travel outside of the EU (and ofcourse also counts as a ID card for EU travel purposes).

For national identification purposes, they are the same, and both valid.

Most people have ID cards because they think they are cheaper. They are, as a one time purchase, but the ID card loses validity after 5 years, the passport 10 years, making it the cheaper option long term haha.

EDIT: The passport is nothing more than the ID card bound into booklet form so that it has room for visum stamps.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 11:35:21 am by martinuzz »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: February 09, 2022, 12:15:08 pm »

I know the prevalence of passport ownership is more in the UK than the US (who'd want to ever leave the US, right?), but we're[1] very much not passport carriers. Not even an obligation to carry[2] the driving license whilst driving

[1] The mainland British, that is, not sure about NI in general, or the special cases of the much smaller and possibly more "internationalised" CI and IoM populations.

[2] I can roll off the alphanumeric serial#, but the first bit is obvious, the second bit happens to make a nice pattern and the third element (that could be much more random) happens to look meaningful, to me, so much so that I thought it actually meant something when I first received it in the form of a Provisional (i.e. learner's) License, oh so many years ago. It's hard to forget it, not that I expect to be asked for it (license or 'number'). But then my National Insurance number (SSN, for 'Merkins, not sure about you other Yurrupeans) is nowhere near as memorable (nor a photocard) or often actually used for anything, but I still inexicably recall it easily on demand. I thought I knew my youth-hostel membership card number, too, but after a decade or two of non-use (but it being a Lifetime Membership, subscribed to back in the '70s, still valid) they might have changed something in their database, making the one on my card invalid though they could still look me up on their now computerised system.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6400 on: February 09, 2022, 01:02:24 pm »

A few years ago, a new law was passed for coffeeshops (they dutch type, that sells weed and hasj). They were no longer allowed to sell weed to foreigners, 'to reduce nuisances caused by drug tourism'
I dont think that was in effect in 2019
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: February 09, 2022, 01:13:04 pm »

No it is a bit longer ago, somewhere between 6 and 10 years I think.

EDIT: somewhere between 6 and 8 years. It was not before 2014, because that is when I got my current passport, which made the full colour scan an issue for me until 2024, then I get a new passport.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 01:15:27 pm by martinuzz »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: February 09, 2022, 01:16:00 pm »

I mean, I know for a fact that a bunch of my trainees were getting high in a smoke parlor in Amsterdam alongside a pharma rep
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: February 09, 2022, 01:16:55 pm »

They went to the best pharmacy then.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: February 09, 2022, 03:24:14 pm »

I know I'm British, which puts me in a particularly non-European mindset even if I would have prefered to still being European more than I am now, but the idea of requiring a passport to be served at a local (to me) establishment is... Strange. The people who would be more likely to habitually carry their passports around here would be the foreigners who needed them to get here.

It's totally standard in Russia, you bring your passport for service at the post office ... and there are like "Russian" "non-Russian" lines at most tourist attractions.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 459