Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423791 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:New Year, New Variant Edition
« Reply #6495 on: February 12, 2022, 02:16:04 am »

I have found that I have very little need for interaction with other people, I find them tiresome. As for social life I have this forum and nothing else and I don't feel the need for anything more.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: February 12, 2022, 09:24:47 am »

I work for four hours a day in retail, and that’s more than enough social interaction for me.

I do intend to quit my job soon, not entirely sure how that’s going to affect my desire for socializing as I know those four hours are good for me.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: February 12, 2022, 09:35:11 am »

I also said, too many times to count, "I'm sorry, you're the first person I've actually spoken to today" to many a cashier or someone who wishes me Good Afternoon whilst out on a walk towards town to do that shopping, or whatever, after my attempt to engage with them started with a bit of a croak or other verbal mis-step (too quiet, too loud, a lisping mispronunciation, the sudden realisation that my mouth is too dry or wet to vocalise a spontaneously desired phoneme...) and maybe mumble on about how I've been wrapped up on my keyboard most of the day (<mime's keyboard usage... realises it's ambiguous whether QWERTY or piano-style, but ultimately decides the ambiguity is acceptible and maybe even interesting...>).

That was pre-pandemic, and really it hasn't changed much for me, in that regard. Today I have mostly been coding, gaming, editing wiki pages and pondering the mathematics behind the game of my own that I will probably never even complete. Nothing more than a precautionary clearing of the throat has been vocalised, and yet a few thousand (at least) words have gone out towards regular conversational acquaintances who I may or may not have ever met IRL (and then this, if you consider it to count).

I've become wary of crowds, perhaps (I was previously able to bustle through a shopping-centre crowd or sit on a packed bus, obviously those things went away to various nevessary degrees and I'm not dying (figuratively or literally) to jump into such mosh-pits right now) but not people in general. If it weren't for the rain currently battering my windows I might have already walked into the nearest shop (donning my mask prior to entry) and bought some semi-essential supplies for the next few days. This evening (whatever the weather) I shall dine at a house up the road a bit (it has effectively been my 'bubble' since before bubbles were officially a thing) and if I haven't actually needed to speak before that point I shall then start to do so. Ironically, that'll be the most relaxed part of my day.

Yes, I think I can be alone in a crowd and also feel crowded when alone. But all the othe extremes can apply too. This is not at all to bemoan my state of being (neither do I state it proudly), I'm just setting it down on 'paper' as an alternative to doing anything else useful[1]. I'm sure everyone inhabits all these phase-spaces at times, perhaps with different balances and different intensities (actual or perceived).

And I feel myself lucky, generally. If I'm not normal then I feel I 'pass' as normal. Those who actually know might think me reclusive and/or overly outgoing (maybe both!) but the casual passerby might not think much of me other than wonder at the hat I'm wearing, and the not infrequent random social good morning/afternoon/evening on the path over the hill towards the next town over may care little about the hat, just wonder what particular style of music I play. (I don't!) Those unluck enough to catch me around noon might get me hastily correcting myself when checking the time and finding my greeting wrong, and they probably get far more out of me (verbally) than most others on a typical day.

But get me in a meeting (real or virtual) in which a point-of-order seems necessary about why a particular proposed change to documention doesn't actually say what the revising author thinks it says then I can bend earholes with the best of them, ye ken?

So, yeah. To drag this back to the thread-subject... Mask on (indoors/sufficiently enclosed areas, possibly outdoors if a crowd appears, not in my own home/bubble-space, not generally when the nearest person to me is a yodelling-distance away or we pass each other on opposite sides of the trail while I attempt to not fuss their excitable pooch) and that works for me and is within (beyond, in places) the rules. I'm perhaps lucky that way, by circumstance and temperament and all that jazz.

I think I reported, early on in this mess, having pre-pandemic, seen an asian (oriental) student, in the nearest university city, standing in a deserted alleyway just off the busy (traffic and pedestrian) main road having pulled down his facemask (an affectation from prior SARS/MERS events he may have experienced, or just an anti-smog thing, from a home-city far less clean-aired than his current abode) just so that he could smoke! Incongruous at the time. Less so now. But still amusing. He would have looked odd at the time (or exactly as odd as the rest of his transplanted countrypersons, who had not yet become comfortable to go bare-faced), but not these days. Or for forseeable future. Even when not obliged to mask in the open air, there will be some who will.

edit: While I'm here to fix a typo anyway... Hopefully that masked (when not filling lungs with tar!) student won't be more discriminated against, like they were in early-days/slightly-before-lockdown times. It sounds like he, or I, would be targetted by some elements of society these days. But not commonly so around here, at least.

[1] Does anyone know if there's a term for shapes that are partially concave (such as a cresent or gibbous moon, for the sake of argument) but possess a(t least one) point within them from which the vector to a tracing point moving around the perimiter never goes retrograde? i.e., in a radial coordinate system, d(theta) never goes negative in a suitable first derivative description of the path.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 10:30:43 am by Starver »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: February 12, 2022, 10:05:44 am »

In a species adequate living situation, I croak like hell, you just reminded me and I actually miss it... I don't feel any shame either, I used to clear my throat... But I kinda like croaking through it. Don't like talking and they are allowed to know.
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: February 12, 2022, 10:43:41 am »

... but yeah, the trick to avoiding that one is to just talk to yourself regularly. Singing works pretty well, too, read stuff out loud (this one's actually pretty good if you're learning something, or something of similar intent -- read it quiet, the read it again out loud, see if it makes sense vocalized), whatever. Gotta' keep the vocal cords limber, or something like that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: February 12, 2022, 11:56:24 am »

So, despite continued rain (light), I did go out.

First encounter, over the hill, and down the lane towards the tavern (but that's just after where I cut across the field boundary to take the footbridge) a car coming up the lane double-toots me and (though I don't recognise them) I raise a hand in greeting... Their hand is giving me the finger. No idea why. (I'm on the footway on the opposite side, so not that sort of impatience, on this rather wide lane is a bit of a rat-run for semi-locals.) No words spoken. Confusion, even until this moment. *shrug*

Bridge, main(er) road, usual traffic, but I spot a gap in the traffic, both ways after a particular vehicle crosses my path. They stop to let me cross in front of them (again, I don't know who they are - totally not the same vehicle, in appearance or courtesy). Given I was geared up to go after they were past, slightly more awkward for me, but I hand wave my thanks and voice the same (not that they'll have heard me - maybe lip-read). Got speaking out of my system.

By the time I'm over the next road, cut across the frontage and shopping, I was at full (masked) vocalisation for the circumstances.

On the way back, had to dodge a bit into the hedge of the footpath (muddy, narrow) for a couple of people walking shop-wards/towards that bit of civilisation in general. With the second, a polite young lad with a definitely local accent, we overspoke each other ("muddy path"/"heavy bag"; his observation and my explanation why I was happy to stand to one side and exchange which hand the handle was slicing into) which we resolved without otherwise changing our oppositely forward motion.

On the lane, crossed a man with a dog (should know him, I've seen him several times before) for whom I dodged into the carriageway (less legs to coordinate - two, not six!) but did we speak? Might have been a smile-and-nod. Though I have a tendency to baby-talk a greeting to dogs like his.

Nearly time to go up the other road to my meal. Need to change my shoes, or spend much longer cleaning them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: February 12, 2022, 05:06:06 pm »

Went to a small, queer, departmental party last night of about ten people, which I desperately needed. I hope I don't get sick but my meds didn't have any happy brain chemicals left to boost. We're all constantly around each other anyway.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: February 12, 2022, 09:52:06 pm »

Going to a Superb Owl party tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Not for the game, sportsball isn't really my thing, but for the booze and the socialization and the new faces and new opportunities. No masks, of course. It's two days before the official end of the mandates, but eh - give or take one or two, who really cares? Went out and had lunch with my dad today and talked about it, he said he was excited to be done with them too. This is might actually turn out to be a nice month, after the 15th! :)

Still, I get that some (sexy) people don't like masks.  That's rational.

That explains my aversion to masks!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 09:56:59 pm by Pwnzerfaust »
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: February 12, 2022, 10:10:33 pm »

In other news, Valentine's day is coming up on Monday. I don't know how many people have plans for that holiday (I certainly don't), but it might be nice to have a friendly discussion about the ways COVID has changed the nature of love and dating rather than get into a culture war over mask mandates.

Fun fact, last March I was going to go on my first date ever, but the government closed the restaurants a week before we were supposed to meet. We were still in what I would call the "discovery" phase of the relationship so weren't really in love with each-other. As a result, the relationship quickly fizzled out since neither of us had really learned to care enough about the another to put in the extra effort needed to keep it aloft.

It honestly hurts I have to say. I haven't met another girl since. I guess I could have tried harder to save this one, but it was the "discovery" phase. I had as much of an emotional connection to her as a girl I had a fun time with at the bar.

I believe there's some insight about the nature of human relationships that could be gleemed from this, but I'd rather hear the opinion of someone more knowledgeable on this kind of stuff.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: February 12, 2022, 10:17:22 pm »

In other news, Valentine's day is coming up on Monday. I don't know how many people have plans for that holiday (I certainly don't), but it might be nice to have a friendly discussion about the ways COVID has changed the nature of love and dating rather than get into a culture war over mask mandates.
I wonder if I could get rich by opening a tongue condom production line.
Hmm. What would be a good name... Tubber?

"Hi baby, can I do a YouTubber while you #MeTubber me?"
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 10:18:56 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: February 12, 2022, 10:25:22 pm »

Question: is it tubber as in bathtub, or tubber as in tube?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: February 12, 2022, 10:38:50 pm »

Adversity begets creativity I think. If you can’t do something in person, there are a myriad of ways to spend time with people on the interwebs, what with Zoom calls and things like that.

There are probably articles about it somewhere; pretty sure I read some on the BBC last year in regards to dating ina pandemic.

Of course you could get unlucky like a lady in China, who went on a first date for a meal at a prospective paramour’s apartment, and then got stuck there for four days due to a sudden lockdown.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: February 12, 2022, 10:42:24 pm »

I'm dating someone, but she's the manager of the local bakery where I constantly go to eat at cafe tables on the way to work. She's also the housemate of someone from my program.

We've been dating since the last week of 2021 but have not yet touched. No holding hands, hugs, kisses, or whatever. This is almost certainly partially due to the COVID situation.

Adversity begets creativity I think. If you can’t do something in person, there are a myriad of ways to spend time with people on the interwebs, what with Zoom calls and things like that.

Respectfully, as a person whose serious relationships thus far have all included a long-distance component since ... 2008, this sucks.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: February 12, 2022, 10:51:07 pm »

If you can’t maintain (or build) a relationship any other way, needs must. It may not be the best, but I can attest that it can work.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: February 12, 2022, 11:08:52 pm »

What you could do is do what I've been doing: go to meetups and meet people. I've been going to weekly board game nights since July or so with 60+ people, meeting people, making friends. It's been a great experience.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 459