Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43

Author Topic: Amazing Cultivation Simulator  (Read 125818 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Cultivation Simulator
« Reply #465 on: February 16, 2021, 12:08:44 pm »

Huh.... All the manga versions I've read had the MCs be generally decent. Maybe the artists took some creative liberties?
From what I've seen of manga/manwha adaptations, that tends to be what happens, yeah. Mix of that, the particularly odious ones just not getting adapted, and the medium leaving out (unfortunate) details just due to the nature of the format.

This. There tends to be a similar cutback in odiousness from manga to anime, and from there to live action. Ratings boards are more strict the more "lifelike" the depiction is.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 17, 2021, 08:52:00 pm »

Got a love triangle happening in my sect. First is a catboy, Miao Hongsheng; who currently has a permanent "Damaged Organs" effect on his head(brain damage?). I was originally going to put him through Sunflower Refining Law(neuter the damn cat), but he has 96% compatibility with True Sun Refining instead(and I can still neuter him by teaching him Lunar Form). He fell in love with Du Mengxiang, the sect's best crafter. And since the rest of her stats are terrible(except maxed charisma), she's staying that way unless an even better crafter comes along in which case she's being shipped off to an agency somewhere. A few days later, Guo Qian, who is great at construction, decent at magic and medicine, 133% compatibility with Six Paths Reincarnation, and, according to her bio, used to go topless in the snow, fell in love with the catboy. According to the social logs, Guo was being a bit tsundere to him.

In less worldly news, the bunny girl has 15 days left before tribulation, and only 400 points of cultivation before she can attempt her Golden Core breakthrough. I'm going to ship her off on another camping trip to Mt. South and collect the inspiration there. She needs to learn a lot of skills. The advices from before were helpful, thank you. Sect leader's cultivation room now has four bars of Fire Essence, and bunny girl's cultivation room has four bars of lumina. Much higher qi bonuses in those rooms now. A third inner has been inducted, a tigerboy taking Grand Chariot Wisdom.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 26, 2021, 07:22:55 pm »

Sect leader is finally at Golden Core. Had to settle on a GC4. Granted, it was my original goal to hit at least that, but there was nothing I could do to bump it up any further. Wasn't able to find any Earth Flux whatsoever, even though I do have a cultivator supposedly able to find it(catboy, a decently lucky True Sun). Then again, I don't have access to Gemspring Cave, only Exultant Isle. Guess I can just throw my sect leader at Mt. Shu until Gemspring Cave appears.

Sect leader now has a little over 19k qi. High enough to turn some peculiar items into artifacts, such as low-end magic drugs and darksteel weapons. Or even spirit stones.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 26, 2021, 08:20:20 pm »

Might want to send your fire law cultivator to alchemist peak *wink wink*.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 12, 2021, 06:48:27 pm »

Anyone else experiencing frequent bugs and crashes on Adventure Mode?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 13, 2021, 08:26:08 am »

I haven't, but I've only just started a new playthrough, so my adventure mode shenanigans are currently limited to just my founder and the surrounding sites.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 13, 2021, 07:40:59 pm »

I haven't, but I've only just started a new playthrough, so my adventure mode shenanigans are currently limited to just my founder and the surrounding sites.

Hm, that is where I'm getting the crashes.  Going into the sites either locks up my keyboard or crashes the computer.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 13, 2021, 09:42:51 pm »

It might just be my machine, I've had similar issues with some other games.

More exciting news, I started with an Otherworld Rift, and a cultivator came to visit. One of my Outer Disciples convinced them to stay!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 14, 2021, 08:29:57 pm »

So people were talking about how terrible a lot of wuxia/cultivation writings are. Apparently there's a lot of garbage in the genre with unlikable protagonists and so on.

What are some good examples? Are there any? I keep wanting to get into ACS but almost every concept is completely alien and/or poorly explained. I understand the basic gameplay loop (train warrior monks, ascend to higher power levels, keep training and growing stronger) but that's about it. If there's a decent crash course on the genre I wouldn't mind reading it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 14, 2021, 10:02:29 pm »

My Disciple Died Yet Again is one of the few I found tolerable... mostly because it's intentionally kind of off the wall (one of the sub-realms is a nigh endless Plants vs Zombies field...) and effectively acts as a criticism of the genre. If you prefer something more visual over textual, My Sect's Senior Disciple Has a Hole in His Head makes for a decent and semi-readable... thing. Though, like the former, partly because it's intentionally crazy and self-aware with weird but generally well-meaning main characters.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 14, 2021, 11:53:32 pm »

That's um, not an especially auspicious take on the genre, if the two most tolerable recommendations are parodies :P

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 15, 2021, 03:15:38 am »

That's um, not an especially auspicious take on the genre, if the two most tolerable recommendations are parodies :P

Well, the former is basically about a woman
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I admit, I'm not really a fan of the genre when played straight, because it just seems utterly ludicrous to me to begin with, so the ones I enjoy are pointing out the oddities and playing with them.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 15, 2021, 04:22:46 am »

Coming at it from a western perspective Xianxia is completely unique. Your first Xianxia novel will contain a vast amount of world-building and mechanical systems you have never seen before, a huge amount of new tropes and an entirely different cultural feel from any English novel.

The thing is though that once you actually get into the genre in any real depth all you see that pretty much all of them are the exact same novel reskinned with only very minor differences.

The MC's are mostly interchangeable (someone completely ruthless willing to do nearly anything while also being the most talented and luckiest person in the history of the universe), the fundamental plot is the same (eg. cultivate to become the most powerful dude in the multiverse just because) and in large part the cultivation systems are at a fundamental level the same even if the specifics differ (eg. use energy to cultivate and eat rare stuff to become more powerful).

The best comedy/parody novels always change things up significantly from the standard Xianxia formula, which is why they are preferred by many long-time readers.

Still, for your first Xianxia the fact that 99% of the genre is a homogeneous trash heap doesn't matter.

So people were talking about how terrible a lot of wuxia/cultivation writings are. Apparently there's a lot of garbage in the genre with unlikable protagonists and so on.
If there's a decent crash course on the genre I wouldn't mind reading it.
Just to be clear, there is no crash course. Its pretty typical for completed Xianxia novels to be over a thousand chapters and a million words long since authors get paid by the word and typically are on a tight schedule of multiple chapters per week (which obviously lowers the quality of pretty much every published Xianxia work).

I would personally recommend Desolate Era as A) A good Xianxia, B) with a fairly traditional cultivation system while C) having a fairly moral protagonist.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 15, 2021, 08:22:53 am »

I'm sure the parodies are fun stories, it's just that parodies usually require that the audience be familiar with the source material that is being parodied. For someone like myself, unfamiliar with xianxia in general, most of it would likely go over my head.

Thanks for the recommendation though, I'll check it out.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 15, 2021, 12:56:11 pm »

a simple manhua, i think thats the term for the manga/comic/visual novel version of that xianxia genre (again im not too sure about the terminology), is this one called Tales of Demons and Gods.

its almost exactly that plot but the mc is a good guy based a bit off of naruto, if i may guess, and its got isekai elements merged into it because he gets sent back in time and wants to protect his home city from demon invasions and politically rival clans from fucking it over. so using his knowledge of future events and historical techniques that would only be discovered in the aftermath of his cities destruction, he begins cultivating using the best techs with his low quality spiritual core (which ofc he'd have) until he's the strongest. he also uses this knowledge to pick out those who can be trusted (i.e. those who didn't backstab and run away during the destruction) and helps them also become more powerful and influential.

all in all, its worth at least a look.

i read quite a bit of it before my favorite site ran out of chapters a while ago, and it may be the only reason i even looked at this game. sseth's video on it tipped me over as well.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43