Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Game Design Discussion and Review (Also Ideas Dump)  (Read 7491 times)

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
Re: Game Design Discussion and Review (Also Ideas Dump)
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2022, 08:20:57 am »

(^Really well said. That's pretty much my exact position on this as well)
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2022, 08:58:52 am »

To be quite blunt, y'all (and by y'all I mean Roseheart) taking GMing way too seriously. It's something done inherently for the fun of it. GMing forum games is done for the fun of telling a story that just so happens to be you and your buddies doing dumb things.

If people want to pay me for running FEFs (for instance), they're free to but I'm not doing it to get paid, I'm doing it to piss around with my friends. Anything else is entirely and utterly secondary, as it should be.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2022, 10:25:24 am »

My heartiest congratulations to Roseheart for managing to derail his own thread with this useless conversation about GM monetization.

Now, perhaps this thread isn't the greatest place to discuss this?

I'm reminded of Adam West.  If Adam West is the GM for your game, you're probably paying him to do it.  If Adam West is a player for your game, you're probably paying him to do it.  So the question of whether a GM is allowed to receive financial compensation is stupid.

More seriously, this is the Forum Games and Roleplaying section of the boards.  If this discussion continues, then this very topic which is actually useful for setting up Forum Games and Roleplaying needs to be in General Discussion, which would be a waste of an otherwise valuable topic.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2022, 11:12:17 am »

My heartiest congratulations to Roseheart for managing to derail his own thread with this useless conversation about GM monetization.

Now, perhaps this thread isn't the greatest place to discuss this?

The joke's on you.  This is clearly a Sun Tzu 4D chess move to get himself appointed as forum mod.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2022, 12:22:41 pm »

More seriously, this is the Forum Games and Roleplaying section of the boards.  If this discussion continues, then this very topic which is actually useful for setting up Forum Games and Roleplaying needs to be in General Discussion, which would be a waste of an otherwise valuable topic.
While I agree that it's a stupid discussion that shouldn't be happening, if it has to happen, FGRP is probably the right place.

Anyway, last word on the subject from me: This discussion is pointless for many reasons, not least of which is... it's a free internet. If you want to set up a pay-to-play forum game, we can't stop you. What we can do is point and laugh when nobody joins it, and mock you for trying. And then copy your game and run it for free, if it looked remotely interesting.
Long Live United Forenia!

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2022, 12:45:13 pm »

I can't stop you, and if my own strong disapproval is not enough to stop you, then I can't do anything - certainly not from behind a screen.

In any case, to put this thread back on topic:

I had two ideas recently, that I would probably be unable to pursue since I'm already doing two fairly high-effort games. I like sharing them here, if only to inspire others.

The first game would be, tentatively titled, "Scrapyard Wars". The idea is that multiple teams of players would each find a dilapidated warship in a scrap field, and by their own ingenuity and cannibalizing other ships in the field, they would improve and restore the warships into good enough condition to fight the other teams. They would start small and weak at first, but over time, the ships would each become very powerful.

The second idea, also tentatively titled, is "You are a Medieval Alchemist". The idea would be that you would control an independent alchemist that practices producing goods for the populace - while, simultaneously, uncovering the secrets of your art. The alchemy system would be based on something similar to Runes Race, with each ingredient being made up of a limited number of noun-verb combinations that could each be added, subtracted, or manipulated in certain ways. Experimentation to find what does what would be heavily encouraged. This would, however, require a fair bit of preparation on the GM's part.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2022, 02:38:48 pm »

I'm shocked that I'm saying this but I think you guys are being a little too hard on roseheart. Like, he hasn't tried to do that again. Yes it was a stupid, terrible idea, but, he hasn't tried to do it again, so I think he learned this important fact.

So hey, some discussion on discord made me realize that I might possibly enjoy running an AR, while I had already been working on an exploration/business game. (And two other concepts, but one of them is on indefinite hold while I'm doing a D&D because of being too similar, and the other I'm just not that into right now.) So I'm curious if there is enough interest in another AR that would be fairly simple and straightforward, with the setting of gladiatorial combat between the Blues and the Greens. Instead of conquering territory, the win condition would be conquering the hearts and minds of the Emperor and the civitas Romanus. Anyone interested?

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2022, 02:41:03 pm »

I can't stop you, and if my own strong disapproval is not enough to stop you, then I can't do anything - certainly not from behind a screen.

In any case, to put this thread back on topic:

I had two ideas recently, that I would probably be unable to pursue since I'm already doing two fairly high-effort games. I like sharing them here, if only to inspire others.

The first game would be, tentatively titled, "Scrapyard Wars". The idea is that multiple teams of players would each find a dilapidated warship in a scrap field, and by their own ingenuity and cannibalizing other ships in the field, they would improve and restore the warships into good enough condition to fight the other teams. They would start small and weak at first, but over time, the ships would each become very powerful.

The second idea, also tentatively titled, is "You are a Medieval Alchemist". The idea would be that you would control an independent alchemist that practices producing goods for the populace - while, simultaneously, uncovering the secrets of your art. The alchemy system would be based on something similar to Runes Race, with each ingredient being made up of a limited number of noun-verb combinations that could each be added, subtracted, or manipulated in certain ways. Experimentation to find what does what would be heavily encouraged. This would, however, require a fair bit of preparation on the GM's part.
I like both of these ideas.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2022, 02:42:51 pm »

I’d also like to see something like this game: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=175519.0
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2022, 03:59:26 pm »

I'm shocked that I'm saying this but I think you guys are being a little too hard on roseheart. Like, he hasn't tried to do that again. Yes it was a stupid, terrible idea, but, he hasn't tried to do it again, so I think he learned this important fact.

So hey, some discussion on discord made me realize that I might possibly enjoy running an AR, while I had already been working on an exploration/business game. (And two other concepts, but one of them is on indefinite hold while I'm doing a D&D because of being too similar, and the other I'm just not that into right now.) So I'm curious if there is enough interest in another AR that would be fairly simple and straightforward, with the setting of gladiatorial combat between the Blues and the Greens. Instead of conquering territory, the win condition would be conquering the hearts and minds of the Emperor and the civitas Romanus. Anyone interested?

Blood and Sand was pretty popular.  No one has figured out the right mechanics, combat, and tech progression for that kinda theme though?  If you do go full realism, you have a really narrow set of designs to chase and you can't plot armor champions against permadeath.  Also, the game and esp batreps could get really stale unless GM you dictate novel match rules each turn.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2022, 05:58:04 pm »

Dictating Novel Match Rules would be authentic.  It was how the Gladiator games stayed exciting historically.
Insert obligatory slave revolt scene for good measure.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2022, 12:20:47 am »

Finally, if you ever bring this topic up again I sure hope you run more than a fuckin hurt and heal or other absolutely minimal effort game to run when you’re using your own experience as a point of reference. There are very few people I’d consider worth giving money to for their efforts, and I hate seeing someone far less worthy championing a cause that that person should have no right associating themselves with.
There's no reason it has to be 'my' cause, there's plenty of room. *pats seat*
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 09:31:05 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2022, 01:08:47 am »

I like the part where everyone moved on then roseheart didn’t and told everyone to move on

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2022, 01:10:19 am »

Yes, I knew I was inviting the discord clown car by bringing it up, but you and Meimie did show it is possible to have a dispassionate convo on the topic, even if I was getting myself worked up before they came.

Speaking of forum games, I had an idea for something like the above as a forum game.  Forum Wars or something like that.  Each player is a forum, and they are rated by forum statistics.  More statistics, more resources.  The cool part is that the players can interact with each other in interesting ways.
Hmm, I don't think I understand, I guess there's been times I've thought of tying them in small ways. In Pandemic, the person who goes first is the last one to get sick. I've thought of similar things for like most posts or oldest account if it fit the theme.

Sounds like it would make a good Arms Race.

Blood and Sand was pretty popular.
I'm actually running a gladiator themed RTD, with some systems from MOP's game. Gladiator Manager. Random: This was a good YouTube documentary

I like the part where everyone moved on then roseheart didn’t and told everyone to move on
Ooh, good one.

MOP do you just host your Arms Races narratively, or do you have a method for resolving battles to keep things competive and fair?

Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2022, 01:40:04 am »

Blood and Sand was pretty popular.  No one has figured out the right mechanics, combat, and tech progression for that kinda theme though?  If you do go full realism, you have a really narrow set of designs to chase and you can't plot armor champions against permadeath.  Also, the game and esp batreps could get really stale unless GM you dictate novel match rules each turn.
Even in fantastical arena fighters, I've found that a challenge. But I did try some audience interference in my ArenaCraft. And in this case it was actual forum users who were able to save up for various bombs and monsters to throw into the fight. It was spectacle gore, but might not work for a competitive serious game.
Awesome With Autism
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6