Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 124191 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Aggressively Silly
« Reply #285 on: June 11, 2021, 03:03:31 am »

"You ought to place a guard on both elevators, and any other exits. If assassins were involved, they may still be here."

Youare ascends.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)

One wheel short of a wagon

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 11, 2021, 08:52:22 am »

Engaging us in combat would be a mistake.  We are humonculi, here to see Eliot.  We are here on official business!

The Speaker kept calm, but prepared to defend himself if things went south.  He also politely asked his body to heal itself, just in case.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)

(Emphasis added)

(If the GM failed to resolve my action, should I assume it worked perfectly and update my sheet to show a full 10 HP?)
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 11, 2021, 09:56:53 am »

((Just state your action again and add on whatever you want to do for this turn. Assuming it worked would lead to a very angry skeleton I’m sure))
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 09:58:32 am by Fire and Glory »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #288 on: June 11, 2021, 09:57:50 pm »

Engaging us in combat would be a mistake.  We are humonculi, here to see Eliot.  We are here on official business!

The Speaker kept calm, but prepared to defend himself if things went south.  He also politely asked his body to heal itself, just in case.

(Emphasis added)

(If the GM failed to resolve my action, should I assume it worked perfectly and update my sheet to show a full 10 HP?)
[4]
[HP to 7]
Flesh resets itself a bit more, groaning at the strain. You're quite hungry.

"What'll happen if we force the door, is it gonna explode or something?"
See if any of the animals near the elevator are foxes and if any are grab one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nothing around here, from crewmember to cannon, resembles a fox. All plants and birds and insects. No mammals in sight...aside from teammates.

I suspect the door will become quite angry.
Grey talks with the bird.

"When did you hear about this second passage? Do you know anything about it?"

Also...Do you have a pistol and holster I could borrow? It could be useful if we encounter an intruder.”

When all is said and done, Grey gets on the lift and goes up.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)
Not another passage, another method of entry! Another key through the door. Something your kind should be capable of that others would not be able to do. At least not most others.

[4]

We have no pistol, our guns are of a larger variety, as you can see. But, He pulls the feather shaped saber off his hip and hands it to you If you see anyone who seeks to harm our master, strike them down in our stead.

"hmm, perhaps one of the All-Tounges can ask the door to open nicely"
Ask some questions before the elevator leaves
"So what is the rough layout of the local terrain? How long have you been in the service of Elias? And would you happen to know of any enemies they may have had?"

Sand. Lots of it. Uh...Sahara.

Roughly 47 years, I believe
[4]
The master did not socialize much outside this tower, but I believe another mage did join him here for a time a few months ago. Wanted help with something or other, but Elias turned the mage down. I don't know why or what help was asked for.

"You ought to place a guard on both elevators, and any other exits. If assassins were involved, they may still be here."

Youare ascends.

Rest assured that the exits are well guarded. We almost killed you, after all. He laughs  and stomps one foot.

The elevator begins to ascend without any command, other than the team's willingness for it to do so. For a few moments it seems the journey upward will be the same blind ascent as before, but then the walls fall away and the gilded cage is rising through open air. The strange pyramidal towers seen from below are not solid structures, they are hollow shells of gold containing untold wonders. Their interiors are lit by gentle auburn sunlight radiating from a benevolently smiling stylized sun mosaic in the ceiling. Glittering glass platforms are strung about like dew on spiderwebs, huge but seemingly weightless, connected by graceful arcing silver stairways and paths. Countless scenes, terrariums, tableaus, aquariums, orchards, zoos, art galleries, statues, playgrounds, and gardens hang in polyhedral gems. Rabbits the size of men look up from tending giant vegetables and wave. Fish made of silk and shaped glass dance slowly through neon blue waters. Deer made of carved and burnished wood, with great apple tree antlers bearing fruit, peek out from between rustling bushes and sheltering oaks. Fountains of gold spiraling purple water upwards, giant scarabs in fine suits catching and bottling it on the way. A rainbow dips and curls, flying languidly yet gracefully about.  Too much to look at, too much to take in in the few seconds they can see. A chaotic, wonderful, childish, beautiful dream. At its center, a hanging pavilion holding up a colossal tree. And, wrapped in the embracing roots and trunk of that tree, a granite slab surrounded by a field of candles.

The elevator passes suddenly back into darkness and then slides to a stop. A crack of light appears and double doors swing slowly open onto a short hall. The floor is carpeted in wildflowers, the ivory walls decorated with tree shaped buttresses and painted to resemble a pastoral pathway between lines of trees. Standing directly in front of the elevator is a very nervous looking mole in a suit and thick glasses. Its larger than a normal mole, but still only about 3 feet tall. After a moment the team realizes its not a real mole but a stuffed one, a giant plush doll. To its sides, in maid and butler outfits all, are more animals. Badgers, rabbits, foxes, a full sized bear which dwarfs the rest, white mice, pygmy elephants, monkeys, all milling about and looking to the mole for guidance.

"Ah!" The mole says when he notices the group and rubs his oversized paws together. "You must be the ones who are going to help us. If you'll just-"

"Its awful!" a rabbit suddenly interjects, "The master is locked in his study! We heard shouting and he hasn't come out in nearly a day!"

"Its got to be that awful Witch!" A fox in a maid dress hisses, "You heard her."

The bear whines and looks forlorn.

"Hush." The Mole says sternly, glancing over his shoulder, "This will get us nowhere." He turns back to the group. "The master's study is just above us. Its also the control room for this tower. We have had no word or instructions from him in nearly 24 hours at this point. We cannot even check on him, as the door is locked. Do you think you could help us?"

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 11, 2021, 10:18:12 pm »

Are all the animals dolls or just the mole?

Grey examines the saber through his needle to determine if it is magic.

He also views every animal in turn through the needle to see if any of them are influenced by unusual energies.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 10:29:18 pm by Fire and Glory »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 11, 2021, 10:53:32 pm »

(assuming The Speaker is with the rest of the group)

"Yes.  I believe we can help you!  We're humonculi, sent by the Magi to check on your master!  It's why we're here!", The Speaker says, holding one finger in the air.

"Where is this lock, now?", he asks, allowing them to lead the way.

(if left behind, ask the bird thing to call the elevator again -either that or start a game of poker with him.  Whatever works...-)

Edit:  Whoops!  Forgot something!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 02:20:20 am by A_Curious_Cat »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Home sweet home
« Reply #291 on: June 11, 2021, 11:20:08 pm »

Spoiler: Drip (click to show/hide)

Drip snaps to attention and screams that he has this again!

Carefully remove key from self.  Find the lock and use key to unlock the door.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 12, 2021, 12:13:44 am »

"What is your name, good sir? and What can you tell us about this Witch?"
step out of the elevator and question the mole

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Timberwolf
« Reply #293 on: June 12, 2021, 01:32:14 am »

Tag along to the door to the study. Examine the door and its locking mechanism. before the door is unlocked, shoo away the inhabitants.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 13, 2021, 05:56:43 am »

"Aw what cute little things, I want one"
Poke the fox and see what she does.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 13, 2021, 06:04:26 am »

Youare interrogates any nearby servants, asking about recent visitors, odd events, and the last time they saw the master.

One wheel short of a wagon

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus
« Reply #296 on: June 13, 2021, 03:46:32 pm »

Bob fidgets absent-mindedly with the hem of one of his sleeves as he waits to see if the others can open the doors. If all else failed, he could probably knock. He supposed he could at least kill some time making idle chatter, so he approached the bear.

"Bear, what did you see?"

Bob talks to Bear.

Spoiler: Bob the Belter (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #297 on: June 14, 2021, 02:51:10 pm »

Are all the animals dolls or just the mole?

Grey examines the saber through his needle to determine if it is magic.

He also views every animal in turn through the needle to see if any of them are influenced by unusual energies.

All of the animals appear to be stuffed dolls...except maybe the bear. The bear might just be a bear.

[4] The saber does appear to have some magic on it, though you can't determine its exact nature. It looks...kind of like a helix of glass shards twisting down the length of the blade.

[6] They all appear to contain some kind of....MAGIC! Amazing! How could it be? BUT IT IS!

Spoiler: Drip (click to show/hide)

Drip snaps to attention and screams that he has this again!

Carefully remove key from self.  Find the lock and use key to unlock the door.
[2]
You shout "I'VE GOT THIS!" and attempt to yank the key out of your chest. But it remains stubbornly in place...more stubbornly in place than something just embedded in bone, you think. Almost magically restrained.

"Aw what cute little things, I want one"
Poke the fox and see what she does.
Debby walks past the mole, kneels down, and boops the fox on the nose. The fox, after a stunned moment, runs and hides behind the Bear. She peeks out a moment later, seemingly shy, and says "Thank you, but I have work to do here."

Bob fidgets absent-mindedly with the hem of one of his sleeves as he waits to see if the others can open the doors. If all else failed, he could probably knock. He supposed he could at least kill some time making idle chatter, so he approached the bear.

"Bear, what did you see?"

Bob talks to Bear.

Spoiler: Bob the Belter (click to show/hide)

The bear makes what could only be described as bear noises. He gestures a bit with his paws but is otherwise pretty much unintelligible. But he seems quite sincere and distraught.

Youare interrogates any nearby servants, asking about recent visitors, odd events, and the last time they saw the master.

[2]
Youare considers talking to the animal servants, but then feels rather silly about it and stops himself. Its...weird...right?

"What is your name, good sir? and What can you tell us about this Witch?"
step out of the elevator and question the mole

"I believe" He says, looking back at the other animals with some annoyance, "That they're referring to the Witch of the Wilds. She is a mage who lives in the mountains somewhere to the north of here. She came to consult the master about something several weeks ago. I don't know what, but we heard shouting and she left in a rage. She has not been here since then, though."

(assuming The Speaker is with the rest of the group)

"Yes.  I believe we can help you!  We're humonculi, sent by the Magi to check on your master!  It's why we're here!", The Speaker says, holding one finger in the air.

"Where is this lock, now?", he asks, allowing them to lead the way.

(if left behind, ask the bird thing to call the elevator again -either that or start a game of poker with him.  Whatever works...-)

Edit:  Whoops!  Forgot something!

Tag along to the door to the study. Examine the door and its locking mechanism. before the door is unlocked, shoo away the inhabitants.

The Mole guides the group through a handful of corridors, all with their own idlic themes and designs ranging from beaches to mountain tops. Finally they pass through an ordinary looking door and into a giant mahogany room. The room is studded with alcoves along its side walls and each alcove contains a huge wooden statue of a predatory bird, maybe a condor or some kind of eagle. At the end of that room is a door. The door is a good 20 feet tall and 10 or so wide, seemingly a solid slab of wood deeply etched with carvings of the natural world. It depicts a sort of condensed woodland scene, trees riding up and giving way to mountain crags with animals scattered all across its surface. Beetles, rabbits, foxes, bears, birds of all kinds, mountain lions, mountain goats, deer, etc.  It has no obvious means of opening, no obvious lock, and is sealed tight, not so much as even a sliver of light passing through its edges.

Genesis looks through his needle and sees that there's a sort of dense weave of magic in the door, nodules of energy connected by thin strands. Each nodule seems to lie in the body of a carved creature. [5] He notices that what at first appears to be a tangled mess is actually a single line moving from one nodule to the next, bouncing around across the surface of the door.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 14, 2021, 06:42:41 pm »

The Speaker walks up to the door, and after looking at it for a moment, addresses it.  “We are  humonculi!  We were sent by the Magi to check up on your master.  Could you please open up for us?  We need to see if… if…”, The Speaker turns to the others, “What was the mage’s name again?

Ask the door to open itself, spending 1 fate point.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:52:12 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 14, 2021, 07:58:40 pm »

"His name is Elias. Are all All-Tongues as defective in the head as you are? Also, do be careful of your wording. A startled toad may stumble after all, and I'd like to be able to go home after we've settled things here."

Genesis shares what he saw with the other homunculi, and observed the animal carvings, especially looking for the first and last in the line, to see if there is some kind of sequencing puzzle or something.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 116