Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 124155 times)

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Aggressively Silly
« Reply #315 on: June 16, 2021, 02:03:17 pm »

yeah just stay away from the door while Genesis does his thing, make small talk with the animals in the meantime.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus
« Reply #316 on: June 17, 2021, 01:34:47 am »

Bob, disappointed at the lack of effect his cheering had on opening the door, knew how he could help. He would have to step up his game. And that, of course, required more belts.

Use 1 HP and 2 Fate points to grow a belt.

Spoiler: Bob the Belter (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #317 on: June 17, 2021, 02:48:32 pm »

’Alias’… that’s an interesting name.  A head detective?!  No, no, I would never claim to be such a thing!  Why did the star told the road to do that?!  Ah, it’s nice to hear that you’re planning on settling down and making your home here, but I don’t think the Magi will let you!
"...

Whatever we paid for you, it was too much. I want my money back."

You prayed for me?!  You didn’t have to do that!

’Alias’… that’s an interesting name.  A head detective?!  No, no, I would never claim to be such a thing!  Why did the star told the road to do that?!  Ah, it’s nice to hear that you’re planning on settling down and making your home here, but I don’t think the Magi will let you!
"...

Whatever we paid for you, it was too much. I want my money back."

"Maybe we should put him back in the cauldron for ten minutes when we get back."

Why would I need pauldrons?

The Speaker walks up to the door, and after looking at it for a moment, addresses it.  “We are  humonculi!  We were sent by the Magi to check up on your master.  Could you please open up for us?  We need to see if… if…”, The Speaker turns to the others, “What was the mage’s name again?

Ask the door to open itself, spending 1 fate point.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)

[1, 2]

Speaker asks the door to open.  The door, or at least one of the animal heads of the door, turns to him and says "No."

<snip>

The Speaker summons King Zultan and Sir Purrs-a-lot.

The Speaker turns to the others and says “Your turn.

Speaker shrugs, fails to understand basic English, and then gives up.

Bob, disappointed at the lack of effect his cheering had on opening the door, knew how he could help. He would have to step up his game. And that, of course, required more belts.

[3,5,2][-1HP]
Bob...Well he can't grow a belt. But when he looks down at his body he can visualize aspects of it as belts. Hmmmm. Bit of weight around the midsection, a band of adipose...or perhaps one could say...a belt! With a triumphant hoot he grabs his belly, reaches a thumb into his navel while his fingers press in from the other side, and rips a belt of fat straight out of his flesh. "Ah ha!" He shouts triumphantly. Then, with a bit less triumph, he shouts "AAAAAAAAAAOW FUCK!"

yeah just stay away from the door while Genesis does his thing, make small talk with the animals in the meantime.

"So uh...whats it like to be a stuffed animal?" Flameo asks, half shrugging at his own inability to make small talk.

"Fine...I suppose?" The mole responds.

Youare swallows his pride and dignifies the owl with conversation.

"I'm a homunculus, here on Covenant business. I'm going to need to investigate the level below us, so take me down. Tell me, was there anywhere your master visited particularly often?"

If the elevator owl complies, Youare investigates the Escher paradise of the gardens below. If not, he repeats the intructions with his needle held in a manner highly suggestive of impalement.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)

The owl gives a little bow and gestures you to enter the elevator. You do so and he cranks a big ornate lever. Unlike the elevators from before, this one seems to require someone to guide it.

"The master spent many hours in the plaza, beneath the great tree." The owl says as the elevator descends. His tone is somewhat hushed and reverent.

The elevator emerges from the ceiling of that kaleidoscope dreamworld and lowers itself down onto a giant flower below. The flower's pedals part and it catches the elevator between soft pink pedals and a fuzzy yellow field of stamens. You find your self on that central plaza that they were just talking about, with the glassy pathways to all the encapsulated dreams spreading out like sunrays from this platform.

"I don't have any neighbors and I don't think you have any ether, so who cares what neighbors that don't exist think, also I think it's racist of them to think a fox and deer can't be friends."
Spend one fate point on convincing the fox to join me on my adventures.
[4,1]
"Ok...but only if I have the master's permission. I wouldn't dream of just abandoning my post without letting him know." She seems more firm on this point.

Spoiler: Drip (click to show/hide)

Drip is helping!

Offer to be the bottom of the Hero Tower for Genesis.

Drip does a cheerful cheer.

"RAH RAH SISBOOMBAH! YAAAA BREAKING AND ENTERING! WOOOO!"

"Who excels at gaining access to places they aren't supposed to go?  WE DO! Who is gonna get through this door and touch everything in side and maybe steal some of it? WE ARE! Who is gonna silence any witnesses that try and rat us out? PROBABLY GENESIS, HE SEEMS THE TYPE!"
"I want my money back for you guys too.

Hey.

Someone bring me a ladder."

Touch da beetle. Touch the rest of the animal carvings in order, following the line carefully. Use my needle for the higher ones. Stop if I get to one that's out of reach and no one has brought a step stool or ladder. Also restart if using the needle breaks the sequence.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
With Drip working as human stepstool and ladder Genesis begins the process of touching each carving one by one, tracing the magical threads about. When he touches the beetle for the first time it sort of retracts into the wood a bit and its color alters from wooden brown to beetle green, its little legs wiggling. Along the way each animal touched does this; shifting deeper into the carving and seemingly coming to life in full color. As he works, Genesis becomes certain that the pattern here is one of consumption, a food chain of sorts. Though its not perfect, some of these beasts seem to be roughly equal in terms of predation but placed in line. Regardless of the logic, the careful use of the needle allows Genesis to progress through the pattern until he finally lays his hand on the bear's snout.

With the last touch the entire slab of wood shifts into color and the scene comes fully alive. Its like staring through a giant window onto a particularly packed forest and hill. Its not just color either, the entire scene seems to have shifted from a flat image into a 3d scene. Genesis puts a hand forward experimentally and finds that trees which were once simply rendered to give the illusion of depth are now  distant, the simulated perspective becoming real. And, maybe 50 feet back into that forest scene, is a large boulder. And set into that boulder is a wooden frame and a simple wooden door.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 17, 2021, 03:33:16 pm »

Oh, good!  Now we get to see Allen.”.

The Speaker begins walking towards the door.  When he reaches it, he knocks on it.

Is anyone home?”, he asks.

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 17, 2021, 04:25:29 pm »

"Thank you Drip. That was helpful."

Step into the scenery. Look about for signs of disturbance / foul play as I approach the boulder. Wait a moment for a response to Speaker's inquiry. If none come, open the door and peek inside.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #320 on: June 17, 2021, 08:23:57 pm »

"Hey Drip. I noticed you were struggling with that key earlier. Have you ever tried turning it?"

Grey takes a step away from everyone and makes a few practice swings with the saber to see if anything happens, in a direction away from anything living.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)
You take a few swings. The blade whistles and cuts through the air pleasingly, but nothing immediately magical or amazing happens. The air does seem to shimmer every so slightly though...

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 18, 2021, 12:00:01 am »

[3,5,2][-1HP]
Bob...Well he can't grow a belt. But when he looks down at his body he can visualize aspects of it as belts. Hmmmm. Bit of weight around the midsection, a band of adipose...or perhaps one could say...a belt! With a triumphant hoot he grabs his belly, reaches a thumb into his navel while his fingers press in from the other side, and rips a belt of fat straight out of his flesh. "Ah ha!" He shouts triumphantly. Then, with a bit less triumph, he shouts "AAAAAAAAAAOW FUCK!"
”Gross, dude.”

Grey advances with The Speaker and Genesis to the door, ready to use his needle in defence against any magical traps. If he reaches the door unmolested, he looks inside with Genesis and examines whatever he sees through the needle.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 18, 2021, 12:28:05 am »

"Okay than let us find him a see what he thinks, also my name is Debby I might to have forgotten to mention that and I also forgot to ask what your name is."
Follow the others to the door on the rock, and find out what the fox's name is.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Home sweet home
« Reply #323 on: June 18, 2021, 09:54:21 am »

Drip is glad to help!

"Hey Drip. I noticed you were struggling with that key earlier. Have you ever tried turning it?"

Drip hasn't tried that!  Good idea!

Follow along to the door.  On the way, try to unlock own chest.  Stop if any vital organs look to be falling out.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 19, 2021, 12:25:52 am »

walk up to the door and look at it throughthe eye of my needle

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 19, 2021, 05:10:04 am »

Youare examines the great tree and plaza through the eye of his needle, before finding the most convenient spot to sit under it. He tries to think himself into the role of Elias, and sits back in the most natural way possible, trying to see where his gaze naturally lands. What was Elias looking at?

One wheel short of a wagon

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 19, 2021, 08:01:01 am »

<snip>

Grey advances with The Speaker and Genesis to the door, ready to use his needle in defence against any magical traps. If he reaches the door unmolested, he looks inside with Genesis and examines whatever he sees through the needle.

<snip>

<snip>

Seeing others looking through the eyes of their needles, The Speaker does the same using his own, curious as to why they are doing it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #327 on: June 19, 2021, 11:14:49 am »

Youare examines the great tree and plaza through the eye of his needle, before finding the most convenient spot to sit under it. He tries to think himself into the role of Elias, and sits back in the most natural way possible, trying to see where his gaze naturally lands. What was Elias looking at?

Youare walks around the great tree, looking both at the tree and out at the area around it. He's looking for a good place to sit and he finds several. Metal benches, stumps and root clusters, even a giant pillow or two. But what gets his attention is that giant slab they saw before. There are no chairs there, nowhere to sit, but its surrounded by living candles in somber attire, wax mourners with flicking flame heads. They're gathered quietly around the slab in a semi circle, but part as Youare walks closer. The slab is 10 or so feet tall, deeply buried in the roots, but its surface is pristinely clean. There's signs of recent care: flowers  left at the foot of it, plants trimmed back. The slab has no markings, but on closer inspection its clear that its not actually a single slab but a giant box, a stone sarcophagus.

He looks through the eye of his needle at the sarcophagus and sees, faintly, a small body within.

Drip is glad to help!

Follow along to the door.  On the way, try to unlock own chest.  Stop if any vital organs look to be falling out.

[6]
Drip turns the key. It turns easily and painlessly, all things considered. And then his chest opens up like a goddamn treasure chest. The entire thing just hinges open. But instead of pulsating and unpleasant life sustaining goo within, what he sees is a room. A room he knows. The training room back in their cavern, where he first stabbed himself.

"Okay than let us find him a see what he thinks, also my name is Debby I might to have forgotten to mention that and I also forgot to ask what your name is."
The fox's name is Elizabeth Audrey Foxington.

Oh, good!  Now we get to see Allen.”.

The Speaker begins walking towards the door.  When he reaches it, he knocks on it.

Is anyone home?”, he asks.

"Thank you Drip. That was helpful."

Step into the scenery. Look about for signs of disturbance / foul play as I approach the boulder. Wait a moment for a response to Speaker's inquiry. If none come, open the door and peek inside.

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

Seeing others looking through the eyes of their needles, The Speaker does the same using his own, curious as to why they are doing it.

Drip is glad to help!

[3,5,2][-1HP]
”Gross, dude.”

The group advances carefully into what had been a wall a few moments ago. They walk through carved woodlands, past skittering wooden insects and prancing wooden deer. They look for signs of a struggle and find nothing. When they reach the door they look through their needles and see the curving root wreath around the doorframe and the maw of roots in the door. They knock. No answer. They knock louder. No answer. They press ears to the door. Dull clicking within and nothing else. Finally, with some final trepidation, they try the handle. It turns, slow and heavy but smooth. The bolt opens with a clunk and the door swings freely into the room beyond.

The room beyond is something like an old Viking hall: Much longer than it is wide, with a sharp vaulted roof and many crossbeams. It smells powerfully of wood, as though all the boards and beams were freshly cut despite being dark  and worn with age. At one far, back end is a large throne set into the wall. Dark wood accented with gold and sliver, it seems to be growing out of the boards themselves. It is covered in swirling, knotted designs of roots and branches with creatures moving within. Literally moving, like the giant door from before. At the other end, a large open balcony, something like the prow of a ship, complete with an old "Wagon Wheel" style ship's wheel, brass telescopes and instruments, and what looks like a figurehead. They can see from here that the wheel is damaged, one of its hand holds is missing, broken off. The 40 or 50 feet between these ends is filled with a huge collection of stuff. There are shelves lining the walls with books, fossils, scrolls, potted plants, preserved specimens, animal carvings, piles of old swords and axes, furs, silks, gold coins, maps, glazed pots, glass bottles of colored liquids, and all manner of other random things that someone might collect. Among this museum of oddities, near the center of the room, is what apparently passed for Elias' bedroom: a single large bed in the center of the room, small end table beside it, desk and chair next to it. There's a feeling of a life confined to a very small area, of a great deal of time moving only a few feet between these monumental furniture islands. Seclusion and claustrophobia in a mansion of dreams.

The man himself is laying about halfway between front of the room and the bed, sprawled out and silent. He seems to be the only one here. His back is to them, but they can see blood discoloring the wood near him. 

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 19, 2021, 12:21:04 pm »

after closing the door behind us, look at the body through the needle's eye, then at the weaponry to see if the wound matches any of them. Then look for a suicide note.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Seclusion
« Reply #329 on: June 19, 2021, 02:12:18 pm »

What happened here?  Have you seen Alex?  We were sent by the Magi to check up on him.”, The Speaker asks the corpse as he peers at it through the eye of his needle.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 116