Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 124149 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.
« Reply #1665 on: July 08, 2022, 09:53:21 pm »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Now this is interesting!”, Hugh laughs puzzledly, as he uses his needle to tell the others about what’s on the plaque.  “I’m going to view it through my needle in case anyone else wants to see it.  After that, do you think I should just teleport back to the group?  Or should I do something else?”, he asks.

"I think the image is a more generalized thing describing how ant society works, but in this case, your example is one possible way that could play out.

And no, I definitely do not think we should tell the ants what was on the plaque. The human-like heroes on the plaque were sneaking past the hydra, right? So we should be sneaky here, okay? The war minister will take his opportunity when it arises."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: July 09, 2022, 03:08:13 am »

"Telling the ants what we are doing is a bad idea and it will end poorly for us."
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: July 09, 2022, 01:32:02 pm »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Now this is interesting!”, Hugh laughs puzzledly, as he uses his needle to tell the others about what’s on the plaque.  “I’m going to view it through my needle in case anyone else wants to see it.  After that, do you think I should just teleport back to the group?  Or should I do something else?”, he asks.

"I think the image is a more generalized thing describing how ant society works, but in this case, your example is one possible way that could play out.

And no, I definitely do not think we should tell the ants what was on the plaque. The human-like heroes on the plaque were sneaking past the hydra, right? So we should be sneaky here, okay? The war minister will take his opportunity when it arises."

"Telling the ants what we are doing is a bad idea and it will end poorly for us."

Ho! Ho! Ho!  I see what you mean.  I wonder if we can use our cloaks to disguise ourselves…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home
« Reply #1668 on: July 09, 2022, 06:59:48 pm »

"First off, well remembered Hugh. It had slipped my mind for the moment that we could hide ourselves with our robes. Second off, it doesn't really matter which ant faction wins to us. The hydra sounds like a metaphor for the ant kind in general. We just have to get them distracted killing each other for a while, while the artisan works. Perhaps we should help Lud plan a way to attack his rival so as to seem to win, but be forced to fight for an extended period."

Aaron attempts to know in what way the rival clan of ants is weakest.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1669 on: July 27, 2022, 09:22:38 am »

My games are going on Hiatus for the moment because of board exams. I'll see you in september.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: July 27, 2022, 12:47:15 pm »

My games are going on Hiatus for the moment because of board exams. I'll see you in september.

Best of luck with that!
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: July 27, 2022, 05:11:22 pm »

Thanks for telling us!  See you after your exams!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: July 28, 2022, 01:31:33 am »

Hope they go well!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1673 on: October 03, 2022, 09:33:56 am »

You teleport back to the cave and go check the plaque. The plaque does have something on it...but its not words. It is an engraved image of a hydra; a multi-headed, long necked reptilian creature. Its heads are all fighting, biting each other and the body. One head has been torn free and his held in the teeth of one of the others, but a replacement is already growing from the stump. At its feet, a line of humans in heroic gear are climbing over the hydra's giant talons, moving past it and towards a horde of treasure on the left as the hydra attacks itself.

"Multiheaded hydra? infighting? treasure sought by sneaking past the infighting? That sounds like what we are facing now, metaphorically. I guess inciting these ants to war among themselves is the proper path after all. Treasure to the left? I wonder if that signifies anything, or if it's just placement on the plaque. Debby, feel free to stir the pot. Maybe we'd be willing to 'help' after all, since the order now seems to come from our chain of command.

Hugh, it seems that our command is suggesting we act here, so feel free to come back to the group."

Ho! Ho! Ho!  I was just thinking,  do you suppose that the hydra could be the ants, the head that got bitten off could be that Patriarch ant, the head that bit it off could be the leader of the rival ants, and the new head growing to take it’s place could be the war minister?  What do you think?  Do you think, maybe, we should tell the war minister about what was on the plaque?”, Hugh asks as he teleports to Genesis, making sure to relink afterwards.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
You perform all these actions without the need of a roll.

"First off, well remembered Hugh. It had slipped my mind for the moment that we could hide ourselves with our robes. Second off, it doesn't really matter which ant faction wins to us. The hydra sounds like a metaphor for the ant kind in general. We just have to get them distracted killing each other for a while, while the artisan works. Perhaps we should help Lud plan a way to attack his rival so as to seem to win, but be forced to fight for an extended period."

Aaron attempts to know in what way the rival clan of ants is weakest.

[?]
Hmmmm...economically, probably. You don't see a very diversified set of exports coming from them. It would likely be easy to undermine their  stability by reducing the value of their primary products.

"Sounds like it's time to enact the plan."
Lets go talk to that high ranking military ant and tell it that Aaron had a vision and saw the enemy ants were preparing to attack this group of ants. Use a fate point on this.
[4, 4]
The military ant seems at once both skeptical and outright elated. He wants this to be happening. He NEEDS this to be happening. Only his paranoia about outsiders is preventing him from fully believing you. He wants proof, he wants something concrete, not just your words or dreams.  You can tell it doesn't need to be much: he's teetering on the edge as it is.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: October 03, 2022, 07:43:26 pm »

Welcome back piecewise! You might want to alert some of the other players that this is running again. I'll edit this post once I have an action.

Edit:

Aaron offers to stay with the military commander to provide immediate communication, while the others go to see if his information is true.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 05:49:45 pm by fatcat__25 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: October 04, 2022, 03:50:43 am »

(Glad to see you back piecewise!)

"The ant seems really excited about the potential war, but he wants us to bring him proof that isn't just us saying it's gonna happen, given how excited he is it seems like just about any miner thing would get the war started so all we need to do is figure out what that thing is."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: October 05, 2022, 08:04:57 am »

"Proof, eh? Seems like a lot of effort. We could go down toward one of the 'enemy's tunnels and start scribbling hexagons or octagons on the walls. Whichever shape this lot opposes, anyway. Maybe take a couple of these guys' scouts into 'enemy' territory and accidentally get noticed. Bet that'd do it."

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: links (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: October 06, 2022, 04:14:15 am »

"A fake scouting mission seems like it'd be the one that they'd find the most believable, so lets go for it."
Ask the military ant if we can take some ants and scout out the enemy territory.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: October 06, 2022, 09:54:52 am »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  He has doubts?!  What if I ate them?”, Hugh asks.  Hugh then ponders out loud if he can actually eat the military ant’s doubts without harming him.  He wouldn’t actually have to eat parts of the ant’s brain, would he?  What if he ate the doubts themselves?  But that would leave the humanculi convinced, too…

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: October 06, 2022, 04:07:57 pm »

"What if we go out with a guide to scout the borders, promising to hurry back with news whether I'm telling the truth, someone gets separated, provokes the other clan, and gets all of us chased back here, prompting a war? Also, is there a problem with us believing what we say, Hugh?"
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 116