Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31

Author Topic: Can delphonso make a commercial game?  (Read 49910 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can delphonso make a better game?
« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2022, 11:42:53 am »

Neat!

A gripping tale of man against monster.

but uh, are you planning on making more?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 31, 2022, 01:52:09 pm »

Nah, not really. The depth you see here is probably all I'll get up to. There's a few things I wanted to add, but am returning to work tomorrow and also have hit a spat of poor motivation/mild depression, which is making coming up with solutions pretty tough. Depending on how work goes the next few days, I'll do one final polish pass and be done.

I've got plans for a longer-term project, but that remains pretty nebulous. When that does kick off, this thread will be renamed for sure.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 01, 2022, 02:55:50 am »

I've got plans for a longer-term project, but that remains pretty nebulous. When that does kick off, this thread will be renamed for sure.
Sounds exciting, what kind of thing will it be?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 01, 2022, 10:19:47 am »

The controls on capumon are giving me trouble.
The mouse can't be re-centered.

The game also locked up. I used dirty dog, then got hit to like 1hp, then used mustard, and the game locked up with 'you need to switch'

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 01, 2022, 11:15:33 pm »

It do be that way.

Capumon is honestly very poorly coded, with Sewer Kings only being slightly better on that front. The biggest issue with Capumon, is that it runs in a daisy-chain of functions, and, as you experienced, occasionally that chain breaks when something unexpected happens.

Sounds exciting, what kind of thing will it be?

I'm hoping, actually, to make a commercial product next (still free, just commercial quality) over the next few months. I think this is completely possible given my current skill, because I know how to implement the desired mechanics simply and reliably, and the rest is just like...art and level design. It'd be a clone of Legend of the River King, but I'll do some more thinking on it about how to make that model of game more interesting/desirable.

In the mean time, I want to do this during the month of September: freecodecamp
My fundamental skills are pretty poor, and I've just gotten highly specialized in the stuff I know how to do in Godot/python. This would help me out a lot for things like when I just want to build a quick bash script to modify some files at work. Currently, it's impossible for me to understand Stack Exchange/Overflow answers because of the different assumptions/difference of vocabulary. I think it's also a necessary investment for me to better learn how to structure complex code systems, because, as Capumon shows - I'm not good at that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 12:36:01 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 02, 2022, 04:03:09 am »

A RPG fishing game sounds like it'd be an interesting thing, kind of excited for that.

In the mean time, I want to do this during the month of September: freecodecamp
It's always good to improve your skills, after you take that course are you gonna continue to use Godot or will you switch to something new?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 02, 2022, 05:09:34 am »

As I plan to stick to 2D, I'll stay in Godot. If I ever work in 3D, I might change engines, but everyone is praying the next version of Godot will be competitive when it comes to 3D development, so we'll see.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 02, 2022, 05:25:58 am »

the next version of Godot
...of course, everybody is waiting for that...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 02, 2022, 06:48:47 am »

One day, 4.0 will be here and we'll never need another engine.

(Godot does update pretty regularly. I started with 3.2, Capumon was 3.3, Sewer Kings, 3.4, and 3.5 is already out)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 03, 2022, 04:49:00 am »

I recently played a 3D game that was made using Godot and even though the graphics weren't the greatest but I enjoyed the game, didn't say what version of Godot they used though but it did show you could make a commercial game with the engine the way it is now.

In case anyone is wondering the game is Bunker 21 and it's a phone game.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 03, 2022, 02:01:37 pm »

You could probably do a DOOM-like (basically a 2.5D drawing method, graphically optimised as visually vertical slices based upon a 2D (plan) map with floor/ceiling limits.

In fact, you could probably do what Descent did and free up the player/view-window to have freedom across the entire six-axis range.

'All' you need to do is to write the "3D data to 2D rendering" in a fast enough manner to not mind that you don't have native direct-to-3D rendering capabilities. And before 3D-acceleration (or DirectX 3D, etc) everyone did that kind of thing in raw code of one kind or another. It's not quite a lost art.

Whether you could get Godot to do it quickly enough to rival (say) the latest Spiderman release is doubtful. But I bet you could get a decent (low-res but sufficient) environment with effort. (Could mean a lot of effort, reinventing wheels or hunting down the documented wheelwrights of times past.)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 06, 2022, 01:25:49 am »

It's not quite a lost art.

I recently watched a video of someone creating a 3D engine using ASCII in C++ which was beautiful. The end result was Doom hallways, but with #'s making up the walls. There's a lot of tricks and tips you can do to squeeze performance out of Godot, but it's missing some of the easy resource savers (for example, all objects are "rendered" {wrong term, perhaps} in a scene even when the player isn't looking at it, or it's blocked by something else.) That's one of the bigger updates in 3.5, easier automation of that, but it's still up to the dev to implement the method of doing so.

but it did show you could make a commercial game with the engine the way it is now.

Yeah, this is pretty true. I've seen a handful of things made with Godot that I would say are impressive. The real reason I'm shying from 3D is asset creation. It's exponentially more work to make a 3D model with animations than a pixel sprite sheet. It's something I want to learn, and hey, maybe that'll be the focus of whatever I do after this.

What's this, you ask?

Well, here's my stated goal: Make a clone of River King and release it on itch as if it were a commercial product, rather than just like...a thing I did.

What's River King, you ask?

Oh wait wrong one, but I might want to read that as research. The real River King:

(I refuse to believe there are any more games in this series, especially not one on the DS.)

So Legend of the River King is a cute game. The basic idea is that your sister fell asleep really hard and the only way to wake her up is to ask a fish to do it, so you go on an adventure to find The River King and put a hook through his mouth. There's some basic RPG elements, but the originals were all about catching fish, selling fish, buying way too specific fishing equipment and enjoying the country-side.

The graphics of the old game were...well, I'd say a bit blocky and rough.

It also has the unpleasant UI of old gameboy games (and honestly the newer ones aren't much snappier). But at the core, it's a lovely peaceful experience with chipper music and a satisfying fishing game loop.

So why make a clone?

Because. I can make it more satisfying. I can make it even more chipper. I'm gonna cram so much cuteness down your cramhole you won't know what hit you.

Here's what I'm thinking, actually. I played the DS one recently, as it's the worst of the lot - and my intention there was to see /why/ was it the worst of the lot. Here's my synopsis:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I could talk for actual hours about how bad the quest design is in Mystic Valley, but I won't be doing that now.

Here's my idea for the game loop:
This is about resource management. You catch fish to sell to spend money on bait to catch fish.

Should you fail at fishing often enough, you'll run out of money. In such a situation, you either use a net (baitless) and scoop up some bait fish from the shallows, or you forage in the forest for worms/bugs and get beset by rats or whatever that trigger Final Fantasy style combat. I could scrap this second idea because it's seeming more and more pointless and would only be added as homage to the original games. Of course, winning combat would reward you with bait/money.

The idea here is the flexibility of using a net and a rod. While playing Mystic Valley, I would sit there with the bobber in the stream, waiting for something to bite and I'd see a fish just collide with the shore and mill about there. I really just wanted a net to walk over there and scoop it up. Which would break the main issue I have while playing River King: mainly, you just stand in the same spot and burn through all your bait, then go back to town. At least now there's something else for you to do, if you want to.

I'll keep hammering these ideas out, so any suggestions are appreciated.

-=#-=#-=#-=#-=#-=#-=#-=#-=#-=#-=#-=#-=

So today (because the teachers are required to come back, but the kids aren't allowed to come back to school because of a recent outbreak of covid), I had no work to do at all. With my time, I decided to make a very basic game to try to express the loop. I don't think it captures what I was trying to do, but it's good practice iron out what I want in 2D movement and methods to determine if you're fishing in shallows or depths. Anyway:

Here's our map. We've got a small pond with a shore (light blue) and a deeper section (the darker blue), plus a patch of exposed dirt. We also have a small nudist.

I've determined these are the things we want to do in the game. Let's associate some keys to these actions.

Luckily, we're going to scrap all this eventually because I absolutely hate all of the names I've given stuff.

I make some crappy net and rod/bobber sprites out of the Godot logo and give them a brief time of existence when you press their respective button:

When that timer runs out, it runs this function:

I end up having to do this twice, and really what I want is to use a state machine. I'll get into what that is more next time I write an update. Either way, we end up with our bobber and net existing for a brief time and I attached an area to both of them. Because of the way Godot works, I can check if the area the rod/net enters is the depths or shallows, and I print a message if it is the right one!

This requires setting up the correct collisions. Eventually, I settled on using the Layers built in to Godot. Basically: collisions can occur on one or multiple levels. I set level 1 to be present for everything except the walkable terrain - so our player won't walk into the water, but can walk everywhere else. The shallows is collision 2, which is also what the net is. The depths are collision 3, same as the rod. If they're not in the same collision layer, they don't interact, so we merely have to check if they ran into a body.

I wrote a quite rotation check for whenever you press left-right-up-or-down, with points the rod/net in that same direction. It's a bit silly because rapidly tapping left and right makes you catch several fish on a single cast.

Finally, since the dirt is an unusual shape, I establish another Area, and give it a complex polygon collision. I drew that by hand, and now the game knows if you're on the exposed dirt or not.

Finally, I added a basic game loop - digging for worms can cause a rat to attack you, lowering your health and ending the game.

If you want to play, go ahead here! It's only in-browser, as this isn't really worth a full export process. This was a useful experience because I know I /don't/ want to code it in this way and will instead do some research on state machines.

I want to play the PS2 River King, though it might take some effort to emulate it. I mean, legitimately obtain a copy and system.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Can delphonso make a commercial game?
« Reply #267 on: September 06, 2022, 02:37:27 am »

...that was strangely enjoyable.

ProTip: Only fish with a net.  While it's fun to find worms and fish with a rod, the rats will kill you.  And you get the same fish.
I like laughing at the stupid fish swimming into my net.  Stupid fishies, you didn't even get a free meal.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 06, 2022, 02:55:36 am »

It hates me, I can't play it for some reason, says something about not being able to load the body.

Anyway when you say fishing on the sea shore are we gonna be fishing from the shore or a pier? Will there be boats to fish the deepest parts of lakes and the ocean? Also how in depth are you gonna make the rod just be generic rod or are there gonna be various different rods, and will there be various different bobbers, types of line, lures, weighs, and other such things?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 06, 2022, 02:59:12 am »

It hates me, I can't play it for some reason, says something about not being able to load the body.

Anyway when you say fishing on the sea shore are we gonna be fishing from the shore or a pier? Will there be boats to fish the deepest parts of lakes and the ocean? Also how in depth are you gonna make the rod just be generic rod or are there gonna be various different rods, and will there be various different bobbers, types of line, lures, weighs, and other such things?

Also, what kinds of watercraft will be available? Will we be able to upgrade from rowboats to motorboats? Can we get Fish Finder Sonar?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31