Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31

Author Topic: Can delphonso make a commercial game?  (Read 49920 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Can delphonso make a commercial game?
« Reply #285 on: October 16, 2022, 11:54:34 pm »

It's bugs, bitch.

There's two crashes that occur, which you can just take as "winning the game" - because they're both related to there being too few bugs on the screen. This is just done enough to send to the music guy, which was my goal for today. Also sometimes they all go off to the top left.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 17, 2022, 04:29:24 am »

It seems to hate me because I can't play it, but it sounds interesting.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 23, 2022, 10:00:23 am »

Spooky cultist game!

It's just bugs, plus the use of state systems and bad pixel art. The music was done by some dude who happens to also be in China, so that's convenient if I want to work with him in the future. Because the music absolutely fucks.

(Zultan, there's a 32 bit version in there for you too.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 24, 2022, 04:48:18 am »

I feel special, got my own special version!

That's a pretty fancy looking game for something that only took a few days to make.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 24, 2022, 05:01:07 am »

I feel special, got my own special version!

That's a pretty fancy looking game for something that only took a few days to make.

Genuinely the entirety of the code was finished in about two hours. The rest of the time was asset creation.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 24, 2022, 05:08:50 am »

Damn son two hours to make a game, you must code like lightning to do that.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 02, 2022, 12:19:38 am »

I was rated "Most Original" of all games in the jam!

Most of the comments were "I didn't understand this, but enjoyed it!" which I guess is my vibe.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 02, 2022, 03:34:27 am »

Congratulation man, that's a big accomplishment there.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 15, 2022, 05:50:50 pm »

Congrats!

It was fun.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 26, 2022, 07:58:03 am »

Damn son two hours to make a game, you must code like lightning to do that.

Partial credit to my more prototype-y style of coding that I've been working on and partial credit to me recycling things I've done here already. It did feel good to get it that done that quickly, though, and to competently and confidently know how to integrate music, timers, etc.

Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congrats!
It was fun.

Aww, shucks - thank you guys.

-=-=-=-=-=

Alright, enough thanks. It's time to get serious.

Questions:

What's been going on?

Things are busy in the delphonso household. We moved/are in the process of moving; we are adjusting our 2 year old to that process as well. Covid has made another sweep through my city leading to sweeping lockdowns and closures. I'm off work, which is nice, but my daughter is also home from playgroup, while my wife works online - so I'm taking care of baby all day, only getting "breaks" to carry heavy boxes to trucks or from a truck to an apartment. I'm sick, as always, with some sort of flu the kids gave me before school closed up. We also have to get covid tests every other day, which means a 30 minute queue at best, 1.5 hours at worst... I haven't touched this computer in 3 days.

Games/coding/etc?

Fishing game has hit a dead-end. The game jam really drove home the need for me to learn visual effects and things that make games look pretty, rather than make games functional. The issue is that I have no interest in making games look pretty and instead are far more interested in making shitty-looking games that are fun. This just requires some amount of self-discipline I seem to be lacking.

So...what have you been doing?

In the meantime I've been working on two projects.

A friend of mine and I are slowly hammering out the details of a Dwarf Fortress-like just to see how many things we can systematize rather than explicitly code. Or at least, to see how interesting we can make an experience by using systems. DF is all systems with very little hard-coded content (think the dynamics of personalities interacting compared to the game-like experiences of satisfying strange moods). This is all very ground-work stuff but will help both of us as we work toward our goals, even if it never gets put to anything besides pseudocode. I'll need to make fish that act autonomously and realistically, in some sense, so that's basically what we're doing here.

Second, my dreams of a Morrowind-like have never died, but Dunning-Kreuger has worn off and I now understand the amount of work that such a task would require. I've considered some alterations to make a smaller experience that can hopefully capture some of the magic of Morrowind, but we'll see when I get there. In the meantime I'm working on world-building. This is not only for the purpose of a game, but I'll also try this world out with my DnD group (to watch them utterly tear it apart, shoot the emperor in the cock, and then strangle a Daedric Prince to death). If nothing else, this is just writing practice for myself. I'm trying out Proton Drive instead of Google Drive (though it's more like Mega than Googy-Docs), so...Documents will be collected here!

I dunno...a game before the end of the year? Pretty unlikely. Maybe during Chinese New Year I'll whip up something. If not just a nicer looking name-generator for the world I'm building.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 27, 2022, 03:29:17 am »

I don't see why people get all bend out of shape about graphics, as long as a game is fun I can't give a shit about graphics.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 27, 2022, 05:03:18 am »

I won't put an enormous amount of effort into graphics, but I would like something that is at least as polished looking as Earthbound, so that means freezes and transition animations. Games need a lot of false slow down.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 27, 2022, 05:54:42 am »

So you mean stuff like screen transitions or something to show the game is processing stuff like the mouse pointer turning into an hourglass?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2022, 07:32:16 am »

Yeah, anything that is used to convey messages to the player should look good and also clearly send whatever that message is. It's jarring if you press 'start game' and the game immediately drops you into combat, for example.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31