Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 59486 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #480 on: October 11, 2022, 11:18:16 am »

The Guardian reports that Elon Musk spoke with Putin before his "peace" plan tweet:

Quote from: The Guardian
Elon Musk spoke to Putin before tweeting Ukraine peace plan - report

Elon Musk spoke directly to Vladimir Putin before tweeting his peace plan to end the war in Ukraine that would have seen territory permanently handed over to Russia, according to a report.

In a mailout sent to Eurasia Group subscribers, Ian Bremmer claimed Musk told him that the Russian president was “prepared to negotiate” if Crimea remained in Russian hands.

Putin also reportedly insisted to the Tesla CEO that Ukraine would have to accept permanent neutrality and recognise Russia’s annexation of Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia regions.

According to Bremmer, Musk said Putin told him these goals would be reached “no matter what”, including the possible use of nuclear weapons if Ukraine invaded Crimea.

Bremmer wrote that Musk told him that “everything needed to be done to avoid that outcome”.

Following the alleged conversation with Putin, Musk posted a Twitter poll with his suggestions for ending the war in Ukraine.

Musk argued that to reach peace, Russia should be allowed to keep the Crimea Peninsula that it seized in 2014.

He also proposed holding votes in parts of Ukraine occupied by Russia that the Kremlin says it is annexing. “Russia leaves if that is will of the people,” he said.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 11, 2022, 11:29:28 am »

The Guardian reports that Elon Musk spoke with Putin before his "peace" plan tweet:

Quote from: The Guardian
Elon Musk spoke to Putin before tweeting Ukraine peace plan - report

Elon Musk spoke directly to Vladimir Putin before tweeting his peace plan to end the war in Ukraine that would have seen territory permanently handed over to Russia, according to a report.

In a mailout sent to Eurasia Group subscribers, Ian Bremmer claimed Musk told him that the Russian president was “prepared to negotiate” if Crimea remained in Russian hands.

Putin also reportedly insisted to the Tesla CEO that Ukraine would have to accept permanent neutrality and recognise Russia’s annexation of Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia regions.

According to Bremmer, Musk said Putin told him these goals would be reached “no matter what”, including the possible use of nuclear weapons if Ukraine invaded Crimea.

Bremmer wrote that Musk told him that “everything needed to be done to avoid that outcome”.

Following the alleged conversation with Putin, Musk posted a Twitter poll with his suggestions for ending the war in Ukraine.

Musk argued that to reach peace, Russia should be allowed to keep the Crimea Peninsula that it seized in 2014.

He also proposed holding votes in parts of Ukraine occupied by Russia that the Kremlin says it is annexing. “Russia leaves if that is will of the people,” he said.

Oh... And I thought he got a sexy Russian mistress or spent a few hours watching Russia Today.

Well, Putin is experienced in manipulating rich fucks. It is one of the cornerstones of his power in Russia
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 11:31:31 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 12, 2022, 02:30:03 am »

Why do people like Elon anyway, he seems like a dick.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 12, 2022, 03:10:48 am »

Why do people like Elon anyway, he seems like a dick.

Because people are suckers for personality cults.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 12, 2022, 07:43:28 am »

There must be a story about how Musk got into that conversation... It is not like anyone else is talking about their conversations with Putin.

Musk: "I'm bored.... let's see if Putin will take my call."
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 12, 2022, 08:21:01 am »

There must be a story about how Musk got into that conversation... It is not like anyone else is talking about their conversations with Putin.

Yeah, my first thought was how and why Musk spoke with Putin in the first place.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 12, 2022, 10:37:41 am »

Russian agent.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 12, 2022, 11:06:06 am »

I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #488 on: October 12, 2022, 12:06:26 pm »

Elon Musk also did cut Starlink for Ukraine, as soon as it became relevant due to infrastructure failure. Ukrainian are smart to not have approved it for military purpouses, and I hope the rest of the world will remember it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 12, 2022, 10:37:29 pm »

Elon Musk also did cut Starlink for Ukraine, as soon as it became relevant due to infrastructure failure. Ukrainian are smart to not have approved it for military purpouses, and I hope the rest of the world will remember it.
...they won't

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 13, 2022, 12:25:41 am »

Meh, Musk's PR has taken a solid nosedive past few months/years, relative to when he was rather new to being talked about online. It remains to be seen how it fares in the future.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 13, 2022, 12:42:55 am »

As far as I know, he didn't cut Starlink for all of Ukraine... He cut Starlink for Crimea and this stops us from using toys like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 13, 2022, 01:04:40 am »

As far as I know, he didn't cut Starlink for all of Ukraine... He cut Starlink for Crimea and this stops us from using toys like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Darn, it looks like the hobbyists are out of the war for now...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 13, 2022, 02:49:01 am »

That's a fancy boat there, a UAV is like a bomb or something?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 13, 2022, 04:14:25 am »

In this context, "UAV" means Unmanned Aquatic Vehicle - a drone boat. It is theorized that that particular one is a suicide attack unit, and there's speculation that a bigger brother was involved in upgrading the Crimea bridge to offer tours of the Moskva, but very little information is available.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 60