Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 59482 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #570 on: October 29, 2022, 07:21:23 pm »

As it hasn't been mentioned yet, Russia is throwing a whole bunch of mudlike substances, trying to get at least some to stick. Usual MO, hard to tell what's true (apart from the wanting to take its ball home and refuse to play nicely in the one international agreement that actually exists), so read it as you will.

I have my suspicions, but that's beyond my ability to call.
Nice footage from the drones e.g. here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9tNwORmwro

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 30, 2022, 04:17:05 am »

Ah, I just realised I read the revolution purge question the wrong way around :D
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 17, 2022, 12:01:34 pm »

A note that three guilty verdicts have just been passed (one acquittal) in the MH17 trial. No hope of the sentencing being enacted, and not much more that could be done against Russia (at this point), but it's legally official nonetheless.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 17, 2022, 12:40:08 pm »

A note that three guilty verdicts have just been passed (one acquittal) in the MH17 trial. No hope of the sentencing being enacted, and not much more that could be done against Russia (at this point), but it's legally official nonetheless.

I expect an appeal and 5 more years of trial...
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 17, 2022, 01:46:50 pm »

I expect an appeal and 5 more years of trial...
I rather expect it to be ignored, by the guilty parties, so long as those found guilty in absence are in no danger of being handed over. Which means the state that once protected them is nothing like it is now and may be more than happy to expedite delayed justice in one form or another.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 18, 2022, 04:19:27 am »

Xi publicly warned Putin not to use nukes. This is great news. If any country has political influence over Russia, it is China.

(many sources for this, but for example see:)

https://www.politico.eu/article/china-xi-jinping-warns-vladimir-putin-not-to-use-nuclear-arms-in-ukraine-olaf-scholz-germany-peace-talks/

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 19, 2022, 12:00:51 am »

That is GREAT NEWS, thanks for sharing!  :D

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 19, 2022, 02:58:50 am »

I wonder if it's gonna turn out Russia is China's bitch.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 19, 2022, 03:19:53 am »

I can't help but to see Xi's statement in the context of a intended Taiwan invasion.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #579 on: November 21, 2022, 07:32:01 am »

I can't help but to see Xi's statement in the context of a intended Taiwan invasion.
Probably the only silver lining of Putin's immense folly is that it showcased the many ways a Taiwanese invasion could end in absolute disaster 100x more effectively than any American or Chinese war game could ever have done and seems to have sobered up PRC warhawks

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 22, 2022, 06:27:15 am »

Cherson's inhabitants say that the Russians burnt many corpses at one of the city's garbage dumps.
Eye witnesses report that trucks brought many black bags there and those were set on fire, after which a nauseating and penetrant odour of burned flesh filled the air. What remained was buried under the garbage.
Employees of the garbage dump confirmed the stories.

Some people say it were the corpses of their own soldiers.
"every time we bombarded them, they moved the remains of the fallen to the garbage dump to burn them".

So yeah.. Russian moms, Russian dads, brothers, sisters. If they tell you your child / sibling deserted, they lie. Your loved one was killed and burned like trash offal.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 22, 2022, 07:40:14 am »

Cherson's inhabitants say that the Russians burnt many corpses at one of the city's garbage dumps.
Eye witnesses report that trucks brought many black bags there and those were set on fire, after which a nauseating and penetrant odour of burned flesh filled the air. What remained was buried under the garbage.
Employees of the garbage dump confirmed the stories.

Some people say it were the corpses of their own soldiers.
"every time we bombarded them, they moved the remains of the fallen to the garbage dump to burn them".

So yeah.. Russian moms, Russian dads, brothers, sisters. If they tell you your child / sibling deserted, they lie. Your loved one was killed and burned like trash offal.

Russian strategy in Kherson, in the past months, was a cold-hearted evacuation of elite troops and heavy equipment while using mobilized Russians as speedbumps holding Ukrainian advance (as well as wast minefields). They succeeded with the evacuation and those troops will be a large problem elsewhere. But the amount of untrained Russian men lost on that front must be huge. They wanted to be like their WW2 grandfathers... they share their fate.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #582 on: November 22, 2022, 02:12:26 pm »

The messages of that one mobilised chap who was dead in 120 hours, the soldiers who got arrested for deserting their post after they were left under shellfire for 3 days with no food or water... Yeah it's hard to say Russian command is sacrificing its conscripts; sacrifice implies they at least did something useful. This is just slaughter, slaughter with no purpose

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 22, 2022, 02:58:30 pm »

"Pay no heed to casualties Comrade Commander, for every Conscript that dies in this glorious crusade, there are a thousand more eager1 to replace him."

1: For some definitions of eager. Individual constript eagerness might vary. Eagerness not guaranteed in the event of Bayraktar
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 03:00:29 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #584 on: November 23, 2022, 07:38:52 am »

"Pay no heed to casualties Comrade Commander, for every Conscript that dies in this glorious crusade, there are a thousand more eager1 to replace him."

1: For some definitions of eager. Individual constript eagerness might vary. Eagerness not guaranteed in the event of Bayraktar
That's legitimately what happened in Pavlivka

Russian high command sent in Russian marines to capture Pavlivka with no air or atillery support, even though Pavlivka was deep inside Ukrainian held lines. The Russian marines accuse their own command of sending them to capture a politically significant but strategically irrelevant target just so he could win a medal after their own CO ignores their private requests to retreat, after losing 300 men and half of their vehicles in two days. Surrounded on all sides and with the road behind them at risk of being mined, they ask publicly to be allowed to retreat - only to be told "actually you are doing fine, stay put, all reports to the contrary are false."

Vranyo; I am lying to you, you know I am lying to you, but still I am lying to you
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 60