Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 59477 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #780 on: March 30, 2023, 07:14:56 am »

GLSDB isn't much more capable than existing GMLRS munitions (the main utility is that they have greater terminal maneuverability, which could help against some targets), but does have a significant advantage nonetheless. GMLRS is fairly new, and part of a capability that the US has kept on the backburner for a long time. This translates to extremely limited quantities in the magazine. GLSDB mates surplus MLRS motors (which the US has in vast numbers from decommissioned cluster rockets) and mates them to the aircraft-launched Small Diameter Bomb (which the US been building in huge numbers as part of a "the skies will rain fire and steel" warfighting strategy). The only new component is the mating collar. Functionally, this means that there is no longer a worry of the US having to stop supply due to running out.
Interesting, I didn't know that, that is good news hopefully no production bottlenecks. Otherwise increased range and reduced cost is good as well. According to Wikipedia maximum effective range rose from 92 km to 150 km (easily covering all occupied territories except Crimea) and cost reduction roughly by a factor of 3.

EDIT:

Zelensky invites China's Xi Jinping to Ukraine

First thought, this seem like a smart move.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 08:52:45 am by jipehog »

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 31, 2023, 09:19:23 am »

Given recent news, any chance of Armenia would distance itself from Russia over its failure to intercede on its behalf in the nagorno karabakh conflict with Azerbaijan?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #782 on: March 31, 2023, 10:03:43 am »

Given recent news, any chance of Armenia would distance itself from Russia over its failure to intercede on its behalf in the nagorno karabakh conflict with Azerbaijan?
They'd been thinking about it but nothing concrete so far

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 01, 2023, 07:03:40 am »

Something tells me that new strategy doesn't include anything like "be a more friendly global neighbor."

Why is it hard for people to see that nobody likes bullies? Even the West is disliked when it is, or is even merely perceived as, being heavy-handed.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 01, 2023, 02:03:27 pm »

Arguably it's not really a new strategy Putin have been pursuing this for over a decade, its just PR.

Similarly I believe that Zelensky invitation to Xi Jinping is a nice pickle for China that tries to portray it self as neutral and PLaYar on global stage, but otherwise is cheap talk.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 02, 2023, 08:48:58 am »

The secretary of the Ukrainian Security Council presented a 12 step plan for the future of Crimea, after it has been liberated.
The plans include the dismantling of the Crimea bridge, expelling any Russian that immigrated to Crimea after 2014, the persecution of Ukrainians who collaborated with the Russian authorities, and declaring all real estate deals that were made after the annexation in 2014 null and void.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 02, 2023, 06:18:44 pm »

Meduza reports on the St. Petersburg bomb:

Interfax: Suspect in murder of ‘war correspondent’ Vladlen Tatarsky in custody in Petersburg

Daria Trepova, a St. Petersburg resident born in 1997, has been arrested on suspicion of murdering pro-Kremlin “war correspondent” Vladlen Tatarsky, reports Interfax, citing a source with knowledge of the situation. Trepova was brought to the investigator.

According to the source, investigators have grounds to believe that Trepova brought a box containing a plaster bust of Tatarsky to a cafe where the “war correspondent” was giving a speech. The bust reportedly contained an explosive device.

At publication, Daria Trepova’s arrest had not been officially confirmed.

(There's some unconfirmed tweets which say that Trepova isn't actually detained, but on the run.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 02, 2023, 08:07:10 pm »

*mumble mumble* booby-trapped bust *yada yada yada* heads up *waffle waffle* face the consequences *append disappointing punchline here*...

(PS, I don't believe any of it. Born in 1997? Inconceivable!)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 03, 2023, 12:07:54 pm »

Something tells me that new strategy doesn't include anything like "be a more friendly global neighbor."
Arguably it's not really a new strategy Putin have been pursuing this for over a decade, its just PR.

CaspianReport on Russian reorientation and some of its problems.
https://youtu.be/5ueMRsP1iXw?t=60

The secretary of the Ukrainian Security Council presented a 12 step plan for the future of Crimea, after it has been liberated.
The plans include the dismantling of the Crimea bridge, expelling any Russian that immigrated to Crimea after 2014, the persecution of Ukrainians who collaborated with the Russian authorities, and declaring all real estate deals that were made after the annexation in 2014 null and void.
messaging aside, do you believe that Ukraine can capture Crimea?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 03, 2023, 12:19:08 pm »

Never say never.

In other news, tomorrow, Finland will officially be member of NATO
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 03, 2023, 12:36:15 pm »

In a conventional way, in the 2022 offensive, No. This is why Russians building fortifications in Crimea is idiotic, no one is gonna assault it.

Benefiting from some black swan that will make Russia too busy with something else and repeating 2014 but in reverse? Absolutely. After a long siege, making it impossible to Supply Crimea - unlikely but also possible.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 03, 2023, 05:06:43 pm »

If Russia is busy fighting a civil war, Ukraine can capture Crimea when most of the Russian troops return to Russia.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 04, 2023, 01:59:09 am »

Doesn't really seem like we're at the point where civil war in Russia is gonna happen, probably gonna have to wait until they're closer to losing the war.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 04, 2023, 02:35:39 am »

Agreed. Wars can grind on for a very long time.
For Russia in particular it took three years and ~1.4 million dead in WW1 for the revolution to start. To add onto that things are looking relatively stable in Russia currently, so if a revolution does happen its going to be many years away.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60