Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119213 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2022, 10:12:46 am »

I still fail to understand what is the Russian long-term plan at this point. They simply can't win. Even if they'll reach a major success like an encirclement and destruction of Ukrainian forces in Donbas, then what?

Sure, losing ~30-50K of our best troops would be a major blow sure but it won't make Ukraine surrender. Not after it became obvious that the goal is a genocide.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2022, 10:17:53 am »

Russia/Putin needs something else to distract the Russian people before they can call off the war, or they look weak.
Weak dictators are dead dictators.

Russia's long-term strategy is probably:
1) Re-organize and push hard now, maybe that will work
2) Reduce the intensity of the conflict to more manageable levels (on Russia's side).
3) Conscript dissents to die in Ukraine
4) When next global crisis hits to distract everyone, re-evaluate

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2022, 10:29:47 am »

Another $800M in military aid to Ukraine from the US, along with (an unspecified amount of?) more economic assistance money. Biden is going to request another $1.3B appropriations supplemental.
Russia is about to learn why the US has no universal healthcare.
"While you developed healthcare... I STUDIED THE BLADE
While you maintained your roads... I STUDIED THE BLADE
While you pursued vain equality and education... I BLADED THE BLADE

Now the barbarians are at the gates and you have the cheek to ask me for help?
Thank god, I was worried it was going to go to waste"

As much as I chuckled....you know this is the position some in this country actually take. The kind of people who watched "A Few Good Men" too many times and took away the wrong message.

1) Re-organize and push hard now, maybe that will work

I feel like this is Russia's only real plan. The sunk cost fallacy. They've come this far, they basically have to commit to an all-out offensive to win. Nothing else is really going to suffice, not after all this bullshit. They simply cannot retreat because pride and ego. And on the other side, there's political fallout, potential war crimes and no return to normality for Russia if they don't achieve what they said they were going to.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 11:02:33 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2022, 10:56:12 am »

As I said several times before, Ukraine needs to keep fighting to the last. Take back Crimea and yeet the separatist republics. Not only is it their rightful land, that's also how you get Putin to fall. I believe in you guys.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2022, 11:03:14 am »

I really don't see how Ukraine can both defend their country and then push back into territory Russia has controlled for years. They just need to withstand this.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2022, 11:09:50 am »

I really don't see how Ukraine can both defend their country and then push back into territory Russia has controlled for years. They just need to withstand this.

It makes perfect sense if you see war like this:

Me - Frontline - Them

So by pushing my frontline into the enemy, I no longer have to defend, for the enemy has to push through my advancing army in order to get to my stuff.
...war doesn't exactly work like that.  But hey, it is a theory.

The real question is how much support will the locals in the Seperatist Republics and Crimea give to Ukraine.  There were at least a few folks who backed Russia for a reason in those regions.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2022, 11:28:14 am »

As I said several times before, Ukraine needs to keep fighting to the last. Take back Crimea and yeet the separatist republics. Not only is it their rightful land, that's also how you get Putin to fall. I believe in you guys.

Very few people in Ukraine will support a costly offensive into Crimea. which is militarized to hell. Moving in so-called republics is possible but even then I fail to see Ukraine initiating major urban combat i Donetsk, Luhansk, Horlivka or other big cities. Not mentioning that we need quite a few major victories before going on offensive of this scale.

Our plan is to win the war of attrition against Russia. With Western help
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2022, 11:33:12 am »

Doesn't seem feasible right now, yeah, never said it is. But the Russian army is dwindling by the day. You're well on your way to attrition them to death.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2022, 11:50:31 am »

I hope these 90 extra heavy howitzers the US is sending (instead of the initialy agreed 12) are able to rain death on a lot of Russian troops.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2022, 03:29:48 pm »

Those howitzers also come with more shells than the intended lifespan of the barrel. I suspect they'll have plenty of death for everyone.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2022, 04:29:04 pm »

My guess is the political purge over there is officially underway, or if not then soon.

There's also something going on with Russian oligarchs suddenly committing suicide. Six have died so far since the invasion began.

The sanctions appear to be working.  The two most recent oligarchs are the guy who made his money selling Oil to the West, and the guy making money from one of the major banks. 
I tend to believe they were in fact murder-suicides because they saw their assets shrinking away.
However, getting killed by Putin because they told him to end the war and their losses is also a distinct possibility.
The slaughter of family could be committed by an egotist knowing they were unable to continue providing them the ultrarich lifestyle, or government retaliation.
After all, you wipe out your enemy's families so that no survivor can challenge you later, and to send a message.
50/50?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 22, 2022, 04:46:08 pm »

It disturbed me greatly that so many of these parents seem willing to brutally kill their children. My first reaction was to just assume they were Epstein cases, but one of them was a literal locked-room mystery. Either Putin is working very hard to hide his involvement in these murders or Russians really are this fucked.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 22, 2022, 06:51:28 pm »

It disturbed me greatly that so many of these parents seem willing to brutally kill their children. My first reaction was to just assume they were Epstein cases, but one of them was a literal locked-room mystery. Either Putin is working very hard to hide his involvement in these murders or Russians really are this fucked.

The scary part is the escalation. They go from Oligarchs hanging themselves to Oligarchs and their family being stabbed.
At least some of that has to be Putin.

As for the locked-room mystery:
1) Nobody mentioned the windows.
2) It is easy to perpetuate a locked-room mystery if the police are in on it.

It is also possible that the shooting was done by the Oligarch because he knew his family was about to be brutally stabbed like the others.  You have to imagine these Oligarchs know more about the brutality of the inner circle than the outside world.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2022, 07:08:18 pm »

2) It is easy to perpetuate a locked-room mystery if the police are in on it.

That implies the Spanish police are working with Putin. How deep does this Russian corruption go? Can't just be Spanish vigilantes cause that doesn't explain the other deaths.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2022, 07:11:55 pm »

The locked room was in Moscow I believe.

How do you even know if a place is "locked from the inside" anyway?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 167