Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119210 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #180 on: April 23, 2022, 06:52:54 am »

Sorry for my rants yesterday. Somthing snapped when I got home from a weekend night out and the first thing I see are more sattelite photos of mass graves.
The madness must end.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 23, 2022, 07:39:19 am »

Orthodox Easter is tomorrow. Knowing Russians I expect something... nasty.

Also, dear religious people of Ukraine, please don't try to ignore the curfew and don't try to go to churches for the night sermon. I am sure that your God will forgive you for staying home
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2022, 07:53:10 am »

Sorry for my rants yesterday. Somthing snapped when I got home from a weekend night out and the first thing I see are more sattelite photos of mass graves.
The madness must end.
We've all been there.  It is a high stress situation.
Your responses make sense regarding the crimes perpetrated by, at least some, if not many, of the Russian Military and Russian Government.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2022, 01:37:51 pm »

Seing second hand reports of Ukraniams on Discord being told to take their guns and go home in sevrral oblasts because their TDF units are being demobilized. Claim is that the immediate threat to those oblasts is over, and they are needed in civilian life.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #184 on: April 23, 2022, 05:16:41 pm »

What boggles my mind - is there are people living in Ukraine, business as usual, especially on the west side.
Seems about what you'd expect really. Unless you have a means of directly contributing to the war effort you are really only left with the choices to flee or continue life as normal, like the Londoners during the blitz

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 23, 2022, 06:09:49 pm »

(...and citizens of other cities, a dozen or more from Glasgow to Plymouth, Belfast to Hull, plus those under a continuous threat in various other places, and the small and inoffensive hamlet of Random where many a bomb was inexplicably dropped!)

One hopes (and, it appears, it may be) that a similar top-down style of reprioritisation-by-whim is dominant in the Russian strategy as with the Reich. There's no better asset than the enemy's forces being micromanaged by an armchair general who thinks he has all the answers and insists upon a 'Grand Strategy' that his subordinates may know to be incorrect but are unable to pipe up about.

It means a lot of senseless barbarity, of course, but in many ways that's better than suffering from an entirely sensible barbarity that also actually does what it is intended to do.

Here's to lessons not being learnt! (Enough, at least.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 06:12:22 pm by Starver »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2022, 02:20:38 am »

Seing second hand reports of Ukraniams on Discord being told to take their guns and go home in sevrral oblasts because their TDF units are being demobilized. Claim is that the immediate threat to those oblasts is over, and they are needed in civilian life.

After the threat of invasion from Belarus passed, there are no reasons to maintain TDF units in Western Ukraine. Zero.

And they are needed in civilian life, -45% to GDP is no joke...
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2022, 02:54:26 am »

That makes plenty of sense, and I was noting it more as a sign that things are stabilizing and improving than anything else.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2022, 06:24:16 am »

Just read a post on another board from a guy who's been doing some work around conflict areas for a long time. He'd been to Bucha and said that he'd never witnessed anything as horrible and gruesome as what they found there in the mass graves and such. I won't repeat the ghastly descriptions here, but I'm really nauseous, frustrated and angry after reading about what he'd seen there.

Putin and Russia has to be stopped by any means necessary.

(Can't confirm the accuracy of the account, though, but I don't really have a reason to doubt it either.)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 25, 2022, 09:35:06 am »

A torture camp has been set up in Kharkiv Oblast.

There was a torture fantasy rant here that I deleted because it might be against forum rules.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 10:57:37 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2022, 12:02:36 pm »

Thanks for the info and deleting the rant.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2022, 01:53:16 am »

Continuing with the news spam:

Sergei Lavrov warns of danger of World War III and says that Western arms deliveries to Ukraine means that NATO is in essence engaged in war with Russia.

Quote from: The Guardian
Russia foreign minister warns of ‘real’ danger of World War III

Sergei Lavrov told Russian news agencies that Russia’s peace talks with Ukraine will continue, but that there remains a “real” danger of a third world war. The Russian foreign minister was critical of the Ukrainian president’s approach to peace talks, accusing him of “pretending” to negotiate and calling him a “good actor”.

“Good will has its limits. But if it isn’t reciprocal, that doesn’t help the negotiation process,” he said. “But we are continuing to engage in negotiations with the team delegated by Zelenskiy, and these contacts will go on.”

He said he was confident that “everything will of course finish with the signing of an accord”, but that “the parameters of this accord will be defined by the state of the fighting that will have taken place at the moment the accord becomes reality.”

The danger of a world war is real, he said. “The danger is serious, it is real, you can’t underestimate it,” Lavrov told the Interfax news agency.

Quote from: BBC
Lavrov: 'Nato, in essence, is engaged in a war with Russia'

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has said deliveries of Western weaponry to Ukraine mean that the Nato alliance is "in essence engaged in war with Russia”.

In an interview aired on Monday, he said: "These weapons will be a legitimate target for Russia’s military acting within the context of the special operation.”

Lavrov also told state television: "Nato, in essence, is engaged in a war with Russia through a proxy and is arming that proxy. War means war."

Quote from: BBC
Lavrov: Threat of nuclear war is real

Lavrov also acknowledged there's a possibility of the conflict escalating to nuclear weapons, though he also sounded a hopeful note about the prospects of a peace accord.

Speaking to the Russian First Channel on Monday, he said Moscow wanted to avoid "artificially" elevated risks of such a conflict.

"This is our key position on which we base everything. The risks now are considerable," Lavrov said.

"I would not want to elevate those risks artificially. Many would like that. The danger is serious, real, And we must not underestimate it."

Lavrov also accused President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine of "pretending" to negotiate, calling him "a good actor”.

"If you watch attentively and read attentively what he says, you'll find a thousand contradictions," Russia’s top diplomat said.

The foreign minister said last week that Moscow was committed to avoiding a nuclear war.

On Monday, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba tweeted that Lavrov’s latest comments were an indication Russia had lost its "last hope to scare the world off supporting Ukraine”.

"Thus the talk of a ‘real’ danger of WWIII. This only means Moscow senses defeat in Ukraine," he tweeted.

Days after the invasion began back on 24 February, Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered his nuclear forces to be on alert.

The US and its Nato allies have said they do not want direct military intervention in Ukraine, in order to avoid the risks of a Third World War.

*Yawns* Someone is losing the war and tries to bluff their way into leaving Ukraine with no support.

Truth is, despite the loud talk, Russia ALWAYS swallows when answered with force. It swallowed when Turkey shot down their fighter, it swallowed when Americans annihilated a bunch of mercenaries from the Wagner group, it swallowed when Azerbaijan pounded their ally Armenia, etc.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2022, 04:04:39 am »

Swallows?
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2022, 04:13:06 am »

Yes, both African and European swallows
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2022, 04:26:33 am »

Damn it Russia why did you steal all the swallows?!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 167