Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119110 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #300 on: May 08, 2022, 09:28:17 pm »

Insofar as "kids dressed as soldiers", I'm less condemnational about. I remember dressing as a pirate[1]when I was 9ish. I don't think either myself or my parents[2] wished to force anyone to walk the plank.

Look, if a kid is dressed as a soldier wearing a tank costume, there are many possibilities

1) A kid wants to put on such a costume, parents (or other adults) helped him\her to get such costume. It is perfectly normal.
2) Militaristic-minded parents put this kind of costume on their child, it is less normal but usually those parents just see this as a proper upbringing.
3) A group of militaristic-minded parents organizes a joined event with many children wearing military uniform\costumes. Here we are entering into a crinhy and somewhat dangerous territory. For example, far-rights love to do such kind of stuff all over the world.
4) Some organization\institution puts this kind of costume on a group of children. NOT NORMAL. Especially if this is a governmental institution
5) State mandates to dress children this way on some occasions. Hello, fascism.

To be fair, Russia is yet to reach #5. This kind of stuff is encouraged but not enforced. The video above is an initiative of this one kindergarten's staff. If young women get such ideas... It is very worrisome.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 08, 2022, 10:19:39 pm »

And "Oh, hi Fascism. Did you sleep well? Yeah, I tried the sofa, because you were hogging my bed. Again! Didn't you say you'd only be here a week, two at the most?" (i.e. Stage 6) is where the state mandates uniforms on all occasions.

(One thing the Nazis were good at was uniforms. Assuming you were the kind of person who was complient to them. - Those that weren't tended to get various badges, instead.)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 08, 2022, 10:22:11 pm »

That's a seriously disturbing clip. Kids dressed as soldiers and tanks. Even if (or especially if) that's a yearly thing to have kids participate in the May 9th parade, it's disgusting.
It's not a yearly thing as far as I know, but now it's a thing you know why.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 08, 2022, 11:05:52 pm »

(One thing the Nazis were good at was uniforms.)

Nazi uniforms were actually quite terrible. They were designed for the literal parade ground and were absolute shit in the field. Perhaps most importantly, it took as much labor to produce 4-10 US/UK/USSR uniforms (depending on the exact bit of kit) as it did to make one Nazi equivalent. It was also worse at distributing weight, more uncomfortable, and less durable.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 09, 2022, 03:20:18 am »

(One thing the Nazis were good at was uniforms.)

Nazi uniforms were actually quite terrible. They were designed for the literal parade ground and were absolute shit in the field. Perhaps most importantly, it took as much labor to produce 4-10 US/UK/USSR uniforms (depending on the exact bit of kit) as it did to make one Nazi equivalent. It was also worse at distributing weight, more uncomfortable, and less durable.
Yeah, impractical[1], but as far as appearances went they were Das Boss, right?

[1] And some went overboard with the totenkopf insignia...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 03:21:51 am by Starver »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 09, 2022, 06:23:31 am »

That's a seriously disturbing clip. Kids dressed as soldiers and tanks. Even if (or especially if) that's a yearly thing to have kids participate in the May 9th parade, it's disgusting.
It's not a yearly thing as far as I know, but now it's a thing you know why.

Ah, there just was somebody on Twitter saying it was a yearly thing, but maybe they just meant the parade in general and I misunderstood.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 09, 2022, 07:16:14 am »

So, I'm hearing from other places that Putin said... effectively nothing in his Victory Day speech. Some basic NATO SUCKS nonsense, but nothing more. This may be a sign that he doesn't have a fucking clue how to move out of the mess he's gotten into.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 09, 2022, 07:45:47 am »

"The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math."
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 09, 2022, 08:32:09 am »

I am very curious why the aerial part of the parade got canceled. The official excuse is bad weather which is laughable
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 09, 2022, 10:51:15 am »

As a guy who actually knows a hobby pilot, I can say with authority that airplanes are actually really sensitive to weather. He’s had to cancel many trips for things that you wouldn’t think would be such a big deal.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, so there are holes in my story, but I think a good question to ask is whether Russia has cancelled the aerial portion due to weather before.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 09, 2022, 11:06:22 am »

When I read about the cancelled flypasts for Red Square and other cities, my first thought was to dig out weather reports for each cancelled place and also any that went ahead (something with cloud-ceiling, where applicable, as well as likelihood of rain and windspeeds). But I never got off on the first step of collating the (planned) locations.

Could be an interesting little project for some news analyst, and I can't imagine there isn't someone prepared to do it... Possibly someon already (ouwith a government job where they're actually employed to do such telemeteorology) has a sideline of having all this info at hand anyway because I know from personal experience that there's much more niche data-collections going on. ;)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 09, 2022, 05:23:55 pm »

I'm just waiting to hear more about warehouses and oil depots "mysteriously" burning down
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 09, 2022, 06:02:39 pm »

Weather reports for most of the cities showed bright, clear skies, and the Russians have, in fact, held air demonstrations in much worse weather.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 09, 2022, 10:46:23 pm »

I'm just waiting to hear more about warehouses and oil depots "mysteriously" burning down

Maybe the Russians cancelled the Air Show because they were afraid that the Jets would "mysteriously" crash?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 09, 2022, 10:53:32 pm »

There was, apparently, massive hail in Moscow. If you fly during a hailstorm, you are suicidal. But yeah, sabotage would also be a concern.

I remember the air parade in my city being cancelled because of rain before.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 167