Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119144 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #420 on: May 21, 2022, 09:03:02 pm »

While I am very much in favor of civilian criminal procedural law being used, I think the reality is that the vast majority of perpetrators will be returning to Russia and protected by the Russian government at the end of the War.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 21, 2022, 10:43:21 pm »

The guy that was recently tried for war crimes in Ukraine didn’t get any support from Russia.

I expect that’s the exception rather than the rule though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 22, 2022, 02:18:13 am »

especially if Russia decides to destroy their paper trail.
Given how much of a shit fest this whole thing has been I doubt there is much documentation for what the hell these people are doing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 22, 2022, 04:52:38 am »

The guy that was recently tried for war crimes in Ukraine didn’t get any support from Russia.

I expect that’s the exception rather than the rule though.

Or that the fate of rank-and-file soldiers isn't of much concern. I'd assume some high brass ones might get support.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 22, 2022, 05:28:39 am »

Well I hope those soldiers die in the most painful manner. If I was an Ukrainian commander and they got captured by my unit, I'd... I won't say it here for forum rules' sake.

If I was a commander in this hypothetical situation I would be either like "Nice additions to the POW exchange fund, it can be used for freeing some of our guys." or "eeew..." shot it and resume the mission.

To win a war one needs cold pragmatism. Not to mention that torturing an evil monster won't undo the evil it done.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 23, 2022, 02:22:42 am »

shot it and resume the mission.
Sometimes dead is better.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 23, 2022, 07:05:53 am »

So, today I learned that a guy I knew is KIA. On the other side. One of the conscripts from the "Donetsk People's Republic."

He always was of the "politics don't concern me." types. Never participated in any elections. He never was a pro-Russian, just had that vague "Ukrainians and Russians are brothers and all of this is political games and I don't want to hear about your irrational hatred towards Russian people."

I literally begged him to leave this increasingly lawless territory of the "DPR" for years. Tried to explain that there he'll have no future, no decent career, no anything. That situation will only get worse. The answer was always the same - "it is my home and I can't leave my parents and it will be better once politicians will stop playing their games..."

He was force-drafted and ended his life as cannon fodder, died for no reason at all. "I am not interested in politics" can have an awful price tag attached.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 23, 2022, 07:20:28 am »

Well that sucks man. Losing someone you knew is always terrible.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 23, 2022, 08:42:43 am »

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

No, he wasn't a close friend or something like that. Just someone I shared some interests with. I care more about Ukrainian soldiers who I knew only from few posts in social networks.

It is just... sad... The whole Donbass region is getting depopulated like that. There will be very few men left there. In part, it is the result of their own decisions, of their actions... or inaction.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 24, 2022, 06:42:28 am »

So continuing this conversation, I think any infantry conscript prisoners captured by Ukraine will just be labeled Traitors, then abandoned and forgotten. It's only those rare pilots that Russia cares about.

As for my friend, I think I figured him out.
He's desperate to feel intellectually superior to everyone else. Since most people know that the Russians are in the wrong, his only way to "Know better than the dumb masses" is to believe the Russians. It quite pitiful. I kinda wish I could just cut the guy out of my life, but that is not good business.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 24, 2022, 07:38:47 am »

I consider contrarianism as a form of mental illness for a reason. It’s one thing to look at a situation objectively and then come up with an unpopular conclusion, it’s another to have a mind that constantly forces itself to do so regardless of the facts.

You have my condolences. We can only hope he learns humility one day.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 24, 2022, 11:18:03 am »

I consider contrarianism as a form of mental illness for a reason.

I disagree.
Love, scriver~

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 24, 2022, 12:32:41 pm »

So, today is 3 months since this stage of the war started. It feels like 3 years. And I have a strong feeling that the next three months will be even more deadly than the first.

Severedonetsk (~100K pre-war population) is about to become surrounded and face the same fate as Mariupol. We can only hope that the help will arrive in time, before forces there will be forced to surrender

It is an open secret that Ukraine will start a major counteroffensive in 4-8 weeks, preparations are too obvious. I don't even want to think about what kind of casualties will come then.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 25, 2022, 09:31:34 am »

So, I decided it's probably useless.
Thanks for the help.
I at least have more information.
When someone says "insufficient evidence" now, they're almost certainly not open to rational arguments. By far the best way to convince someone like that is if he would spend some time in Ukraine, get to know some people there and befriend them. Our opinion is all too often based on emotion and only look for some rational arguments as an afterthought.

Quoting the news thread

My friends host a family of refugees from Mariupol. The family that lost everything because of Russians, their apartment ceased to exist. Their city ceased to exist.

Who do they blame? Ukrainian nationalist government failed to reach a diplomatic solution with Russian brothers who were forced to this action by the USA and NATO. Also, if that Pesky Azov surrendered immediately, Mariupol would be intact.

Irrational people are like this. If facts contradict their beliefs... Facts will be ignored and twisted
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 167