Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119126 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1230 on: September 17, 2022, 02:19:32 am »

Or Russia's government is overthrown and the people in charge want to consolidate power rather than focus on a war

Overthrown Russian government changes little. A huge majority of Russians have the ideology that Ukraine doesn't exist (or should not exist) and this means that the war will continue. It may merely temporarily deescalate. Russian culture, as it is, is incompatible with Ukraine.
::) Whatever you say. I don't believe you.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: September 17, 2022, 02:24:36 am »

I smell the start of another stupid argument that gets the thread locked. Let's not.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: September 17, 2022, 06:13:08 am »

Or Russia's government is overthrown and the people in charge want to consolidate power rather than focus on a war

Overthrown Russian government changes little. A huge majority of Russians have the ideology that Ukraine doesn't exist (or should not exist) and this means that the war will continue. It may merely temporarily deescalate. Russian culture, as it is, is incompatible with Ukraine.
::) Whatever you say. I don't believe you.

I could write walls of text about contemporary Russian culture and ideas. About Russian history curriculum in Russian schools. About modern Russian music, including non-mainstream artists. About modern Russian cinematography with marvelous TV-series. About modern Russian literature and selective popularity of Russian classical literature (which is usually twisted and misinterpreted). Show how Ukraine and Ukrainians portrayed in all of the above. Then do the same for the art of the Soviet period and show that it isn't something new, it merely became worse. 

I won't. I'll merely express my personal opinion that Russian culture (as it exists now) is incompatible with the idea of any independent Ukraine and restrain myself from trying to prove the validity of my opinion. You are free to believe whatever you want.

One saving grace is that many, many young Russians prefer anime and Netflix to all of that, so the hope is not entirely lost but it won't shift the culture quickly. Also, I expect something like the Great Chinese Firewall of Russia soonish.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: September 17, 2022, 01:05:17 pm »

Also, I expect something like the Great Chinese Firewall of Russia soonish.
Already well in hand, although I'm surprised I haven't heard much about it since the 'Special Military Operation' started. (Or maybe the reason I haven't heard much is that it's been rather effective? Though we have Max/etc here still, so...)

Can't find many definite early references (several before 2019, but a bit vaguer), yet I think it's been in the offing for more than a decade. Not even counting the "Hey, YouTube/Google/etc, don't let my Russian people see <foo>" that they're not the only regime to have preferences about...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: September 17, 2022, 09:49:49 pm »

okay, so if you find 100% of what someone is saying to be bullshit and misleading, they're a good candidate for the forum's block function.

"You are ignoring this user. Show me the post."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: September 17, 2022, 10:10:48 pm »

Umm... I think you're in the wrong thread dude. This your first time here and you post a non-sequiter.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: September 17, 2022, 10:17:15 pm »

Umm... I think you're in the wrong thread dude. This your first time here and you post a non-sequiter.

Nope, this is the right thread, I'm just tired of hearing misleading propaganda and manipulation out of people like euchre

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: September 17, 2022, 10:28:20 pm »

Dare I ask what parts in particular? EJ usually saves his hot takes for ameripol from what I've seen. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: September 17, 2022, 10:30:02 pm »

Dare I ask what parts in particular?

Don't. If he had something to say he would have opened with that rather than make vague accusations designed to rile people up.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: September 17, 2022, 10:40:05 pm »

Also, I expect something like the Great Chinese Firewall of Russia soonish.
Already well in hand, although I'm surprised I haven't heard much about it since the 'Special Military Operation' started. (Or maybe the reason I haven't heard much is that it's been rather effective? Though we have Max/etc here still, so...)

Can't find many definite early references (several before 2019, but a bit vaguer), yet I think it's been in the offing for more than a decade. Not even counting the "Hey, YouTube/Google/etc, don't let my Russian people see <foo>" that they're not the only regime to have preferences about...
Yeah they're too incompetent to do anything on that scale. I have Tor and a VPN anyways.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: September 17, 2022, 10:49:20 pm »

Bay12 is a good forum but it would be epic with a good moderator team. It is plain impossible for one man to maintain proper order...

Jumping into a discussion with no useful contribution whatsoever besides announcing "please ignore this awful user X like I do" WILL result in a (totally deserved) temporary ban on well-moderated forums. But we can't bother Toady with dealing with such minor rudeness. Another side effect of a one-man team is that quite a few interesting users god lifelong bans for transgressions that didn't warrant one...

But if we live in a relative anarchy... Let's discuss a very relevant subject... Is eerr a Russian vatnik, a tankie, a neo-nazi, a conspiracy theorist or simply a moron? (Just in case you think I am serious: Let's not)

And I know that he'll read this even if I am also an honored member of his ignore list because usually people claiming they use an ignore list either don't use it or simply click "show post" every time.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: September 17, 2022, 11:03:11 pm »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: September 17, 2022, 11:33:46 pm »

Nah Toady gives people a long leash. Multiple talkings to, temporary mutes and the like before wielding the banhammer. If someone got banned round here, they ignored multiple opportunities to address the behaviour or issue that lead to it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: September 17, 2022, 11:38:16 pm »

Nah Toady gives people a long leash. Multiple talkings to, temporary mutes and the like before wielding the banhammer. If someone got banned round here, they ignored multiple opportunities to address the behaviour or issue that lead to it.
Yeah I got into several shitfights these past few months, about a variety of topics, and didn't get a single warning. Toady is lenient, this community does an OK job at policing itself.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: September 18, 2022, 02:18:15 am »

Nah, if there is a whole moderator team, they likely become worst trolls and flooders of all, because they can't ban each other for arguing with themselves. Let there be one ruler, one king.  :P  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 167