Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119134 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #2100 on: February 08, 2023, 05:09:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure the side that got us to stop reading their posts has lost...

Although "Western Satanists" does amuse me.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: February 08, 2023, 05:53:27 pm »

Praise Stan.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: February 08, 2023, 06:03:19 pm »

"In an argument, as in a battle or a war the sides that runs away and stops fighting is the side that lost"

Yeahhh. This feels awfully relevant right now.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: February 08, 2023, 06:12:39 pm »

For anyone interested in how Russia took over Crimea, there is a lot of interesting details here (Chronology starts at p6 of the document or p24 of the pdf )

Praise Stan.
Which one? Hopefully not Russia-stan.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 07:44:33 pm by jipehog »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: February 08, 2023, 06:18:24 pm »

He's dyslexic. Should read 'Santa'.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: February 08, 2023, 08:14:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I start loving this "one who stopped talking last in the argument has won it " guy. He must be very successful in life.

I am very not surprised that this guy is a hardcore theist because he spews their logic. For them

1) Laws are not tools but something sacred. If it is written on paper that President must be removed in X way, he must be removed in X way no matter the situation
2) In the same time, any part of reality that contradicts your beliefs can be safely ignored no matter how evident it is. If your side breaks laws it doesn't count
3) Truth is irrelevant as long as you make your opponent silent. It is winning the discussion. The best tool is to execute the other side of an argument, luckily theists don't have this option in most countries

Coincidently it is also a Russian way of thinking, even if most of them don't really follow Christianity or other religion in their daily lives
_________
PS, yes Red Diamond, I am a satanist(well, by the twisted logic of people like you when satanist=atheist). You can go fuck with whatever brand of an imaginary almighty friend in your head, who tells you how awesome, genius, and moral you are. This imaginary friend is the only person who sees you this way. Here, in the real world, you are a laughing stock and a loser who lacks basic empathy
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: February 08, 2023, 09:43:03 pm »

Aww is that what he meant by satanist? Ugh, religious intolerance is boring as a conspiracy.

Might get a new spin on it though I guess.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: February 08, 2023, 09:57:10 pm »

I am very not surprised that this guy is a hardcore theist because he spews their logic. For them

1) Laws are not tools but something sacred. If it is written on paper that President must be removed in X way, he must be removed in X way no matter the situation
2) In the same time, any part of reality that contradicts your beliefs can be safely ignored no matter how evident it is. If your side breaks laws it doesn't count
3) Truth is irrelevant as long as you make your opponent silent. It is winning the discussion. The best tool is to execute the other side of an argument, luckily theists don't have this option in most countries

Coincidently it is also a Russian way of thinking, even if most of them don't really follow Christianity or other religion in their daily lives

Er.

A couple points, then, from a Christian across the pond:
    1) Divine law is sacred, but it also exists for the benefit of the people, not the other way around. When applying holy law to a situation, the human context is still important.
    2) Faith is sacred, but spiritual and material reality should work in concord with one another - the faithful are still very responsible for the things they do in this life.
    3) Forced conversions, executions, etc. are wrong, period. How is anyone supposed to convert a dead man? What good is a confession of faith made under duress? I'm aware such things exist in history, and it saddens me mostly. The Body of Christ should be better than that.

Let's not make this about every God-fearing person ever, please. Hypocrisy is a real danger, but many of us are still trying our best out here.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: February 08, 2023, 10:51:03 pm »

Er.

A couple points, then, from a Christian across the pond:
    1) Divine law is sacred, but it also exists for the benefit of the people, not the other way around. When applying holy law to a situation, the human context is still important.
    2) Faith is sacred, but spiritual and material reality should work in concord with one another - the faithful are still very responsible for the things they do in this life.
    3) Forced conversions, executions, etc. are wrong, period. How is anyone supposed to convert a dead man? What good is a confession of faith made under duress? I'm aware such things exist in history, and it saddens me mostly. The Body of Christ should be better than that.

Let's not make this about every God-fearing person ever, please. Hypocrisy is a real danger, but many of us are still trying our best out here.
Note that I used "hardcore theist" for a reason. Not all theists are what I described, ones who throw the word "satanists" around usually are.

And I am not interested in really starting THIS discussion here because even if I am not only an atheist but also an anti-theist (a person who believes that religions are harmful to society and it is a moral duty of a decent person to oppose them), this thread is really not the place for it.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: February 08, 2023, 11:04:14 pm »

To move it back to the topic...

Some stuff I heard about the last few days from people who are actually there. Note that this is anecdotal.

1) Russia has already started a very noticeable offensive on all of the frontline in Donbas. They push, and we are forced to move back. Most likely we'll have to leave Bakhmut and the surrounding areas soon..
2) Our casualties are really-really high, but mostly WIA and evacuation work well. (again, remember, anecdotal info)
3) Russians reenact WW2 with human wave attacks with total disregard of human life in their attacks. People from there don't believe official Ukrainian daily estimates of 500-1000 dead Russians per day believing those to be too low. But I personally think it is wishful thinking
4) People are really exhausted and in a dire need of rotation. It worries me a lot. We start experiencing serious shortages of fresh manpower and I think we'll have to move to more forceful conscription which is never a good thing
5) My contact from the Zaporizhia area says that they are expecting a major offensive there, too

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: February 08, 2023, 11:13:55 pm »

Ah, the crazy stopped peeking out from behind the mask and finally came out in its full uncensored glory. It was inevitable.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: February 09, 2023, 03:55:08 am »

Hey Red Diamond can I have some of what you're smoking because it sounds like some good shit.

Also the whole "Western Satanist" thing is interesting and he should tell us more about it. 
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: February 09, 2023, 04:00:30 am »

The "rotates around the Sun" made me twitch, too, but don't forget Strongpoint has ESL, though that often makes it better than someone with it as a mother tongue[1].
The Earth rotates (most easily shown by setting up and observing a Foucault's pendulum), and also orbits around (the common barycentre of!) the Sun.
Not to be a non native nitpick, but isn't it 'orbits the sun' (or 'flies in an orbit around the sun') instead of 'orbits around the sun'?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: February 09, 2023, 04:34:43 am »

[..]

Not sure about the details (wasn't following red dragon posts) but what you suggest can be copy&pasted to USA politics. Also not theist logic per se, there are atheist who believe with religious fervor in their truth, and are intolerant and zealous in pursuit of their goals and those who blaspheme against their scared values as Christians in modern times.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: February 09, 2023, 04:57:15 am »

(wasn't following red dragon posts)

You're conflating my username with the Russian troll's username. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 167