Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 118564 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #2445 on: March 04, 2023, 02:09:10 am »

T’be fair, given Putin’s background as an intelligence agent and the fact we’re getting to the end of Winter, and Russia’s failure to roflstomp an “inferior” (by military strength) nation, it would not surprise me if it was a false flag operation to engender further support from the Russian populace.

No, it is legit. It is Russian Volunteer Corps (don't confuse with the Free Russia Legion). Those guys are real and they filmed a video with their faces open and everything checks out.

As I said their status is blurry but formally they are a part of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Legion_of_Territorial_Defence_of_Ukraine along with other curious units like Karelian\Bashkir separatists
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: March 04, 2023, 01:10:07 pm »

Yeah sorry I sometimes get too emotional (angry) with this ongoing miserable war and Russia twisting everything to make Ukraine look like the aggressor.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: March 04, 2023, 01:36:47 pm »

Fire Erupts At Munitions Depot In Russian Border Region Near Ukraine's Kharkiv
https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-belgorod-munitions-depot-fire/31995787.html

Apparently smoking is still bad for you

----

Der Spiegel: German arms manufacturer in talks about building tank plant in Ukraine
https://kyivindependent.com/news-feed/der-spiegel-german-arms-manufacturer-in-talks-about-building-tank-factory-in-ukraine

Am I missing anything, because the idea of building an expansive tank factory in a warzone, in range of Russian missile strike sound like pure lunacy..
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 01:45:00 pm by jipehog »

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: March 04, 2023, 01:50:51 pm »

That news is from August 19, 2022. Unless I'm missing something.

Der Spiegel: German arms manufacturer in talks about building tank plant in Ukraine
https://kyivindependent.com/news-feed/der-spiegel-german-arms-manufacturer-in-talks-about-building-tank-factory-in-ukraine

Am I missing anything, because the idea of building an expansive tank factory in a warzone, in range of Russian missile strike sound like pure lunacy..

Yeah, sounds strange. On the other hand, I guess there are many possibilities to make it very hard for the russians to effectively hit such an installation. Maybe some kind of distributed production lines, underground facilities and what not.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: March 04, 2023, 02:26:15 pm »

From what I readto, before the .js errors ("slowscript, do you want to continue...") started to show up, that seemed to be a report from back in August.

I think it's very unlikely to come to fruition in that form. While constructing/commissioning the factory it'll be a prime target, even before it has to actually roll out its tanks.

But I could see how the idea of such a thing could be very useful, in so many ways. Not sure which particular game they're playing, but all power to their elbows.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: March 04, 2023, 02:39:48 pm »

Maybe it's a decoy target. Something to waste Russian missiles.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: March 04, 2023, 02:48:29 pm »

One of my ideas. But I wouldn't want to second-guess. Double-bluff? Triple-bluff? Not going to go too fr down that rabbithole...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: March 04, 2023, 02:49:59 pm »

Other than the propaganda value, that's years in the future.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: March 05, 2023, 05:31:49 am »

So are we gonna start seeing decoy tanks and airplanes getting set up like they did in world war 1 and 2?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: March 05, 2023, 05:44:43 am »

So are we gonna start seeing decoy tanks and airplanes getting set up like they did in world war 1 and 2?

Those are already quite common on both sides.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: March 05, 2023, 06:09:50 am »

Those are already quite common on both sides.
I wasn't sure since I hadn't seen anyone mention it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: March 05, 2023, 06:51:13 am »

here is an article about wooden HIMARSes back from September - https://nypost.com/2022/08/30/ukraine-building-decoy-himars-rockets-to-draw-russian-fire/

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: March 05, 2023, 09:13:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: March 05, 2023, 09:26:59 am »

I knew one day my wargaming hobby would come to the rescue of my country
Love, scriver~

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: March 05, 2023, 09:56:18 am »

I knew one day my wargaming hobby would come to the rescue of my country
Putin seems to have the strategic skills of a below-average HOI4 player. :P
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 167