Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 70

Author Topic: LGBTQ+ Thread  (Read 54417 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: LGBTQ+ Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2022, 05:12:26 pm »

Gender Bose-Einstein Condensate, when you are absolutely sure.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2022, 06:17:05 pm »

quantum gender that changes when it is observed
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2022, 07:07:46 pm »

Yeah, this student has also been using the wrong pronoun in conversations with the lead instructor for the course and persists while being corrected over and over and over again.

I'm working on moving past it but I had so many negative interactions over the past couple of weeks that finally being discarded was a bridge too far.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2022, 07:29:55 pm »

I've always taken great comfort in being fired, as it means the other person wins and has no need to continue the feud or even remember my name.
Yay, they're gone from your direct responsibility!  You'll see them, of course, but now it's Someone Else's Problem.

They should move up, on, or out in a couple years, and they'll be gone for good. 
It's best for you not to speculate, but I'll say they're probably not moving towards great success.

Remember what employers want. If they're not following instruction in school, they're not looking like an ideal employee either.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2022, 08:07:34 pm »

It occurs to me that I have, for the most part, just been assuming I like women. But looking at the pattern of my crushes, that's probably not actually the case. Homoflexible? Pan with a strong female preference? God only knows.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2022, 11:15:21 pm »

As a cis bi man, PTW.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2022, 11:40:10 pm »

Had an interesting dream where I was a masked "villain" in the Worm-verse, again.  I needed to inform the local heroes about some situation, and technically they were pursuing me, but I was so good at evading them that I was doing it on instinct.  Hearing them talk about me, misinterpreting everything as usual, putting me in a "villain" box from lack of understanding.

It was a pretty long dream of wandering through an impossibly large convention center trying to let my guard down enough for heroes to notice me.  You'd think the mask and iconic form-fitting outfit would be enough, but I think it was too much...  I think several minor heroes did recognize me, and pretended not to for their own safety.  As if I had any intention of hurting them.

Eventually I overheard radio chatter from a heroine who was different.  Not only was she competently compiling reports of my location, she seemed excited to meet me.  Like she might actually heed my warnings about the *real* threat.  She was operating out of a video game arcade, very classic except that the machines were hanging from the ceiling.  I made a batman-style entrance and she played along, pretending to be surprised.

But it was she who surprised me.  She was asking all the right questions, and for some reason I could barely answer.  She wasn't treating me like a villain.  She took her mask off and she looked so familiar somehow, tired, a couple days of stubble framing kind eyes.  She *knew* me and, incomprehensibly, she aspired to be like me.  She was asking what I needed and all I could do was ask, beg, to keep my mask on.  It didn't hide me from *her*, but I couldn't reveal my identity to everyone else.  Not just yet.  I felt like I was letting her down, but she didn't agree.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 10:08:55 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2022, 09:58:52 pm »

I detest even thinking about the sports issue, since it's almost entirely an artificial front the right to scaremonger.
I did enjoy this bit of satire, though, which points out how ridiculous the "issue" is: https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/guys-i-swear-im-only-transitioning-so-i-can-cheat-at-girls-sports

Kinda just nice, too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2022, 10:26:56 pm »

My faculty advisor now knows my identity through the grapevine and seems ... kind of smug about it? IDK
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2022, 11:57:46 pm »

It occurs to me that I have, for the most part, just been assuming I like women. But looking at the pattern of my crushes, that's probably not actually the case. Homoflexible? Pan with a strong female preference? God only knows.
I put myself as bi with a heavy preference towards women after over two decades of thinking I was straight.

It's hardly an unknown situation. Kinsey scale is 0-6, being from exclusively heterosexual to exclusively homosexual. You could be sat at 5
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2022, 12:14:07 am »

Mine's a Francium atom. Completely unstable.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2022, 12:45:29 pm »

There are people who are stable out there?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2022, 06:46:49 pm »

I detest even thinking about the sports issue, since it's almost entirely an artificial front the right to scaremonger.
I did enjoy this bit of satire, though, which points out how ridiculous the "issue" is: https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/guys-i-swear-im-only-transitioning-so-i-can-cheat-at-girls-sports

Kinda just nice, too.

I get the satire, but from the LGBTQ side the "I changed sex just to win at sports" is their straw man so they don't have to have a real discussion about the intersection of gender transitioning and sports performance.

The point is not the .0001% that claim to be transitioning actually just to win at sports (they're doing it ironically to prove a point.) The actual point is someone who legitimately wants to transition, does and then wants to perform in the gender group they identify with. (Let's also not overlook that now, suddenly, someone is gate keeping the concept of "who is really transitioning and who isn't." Something that if it was said to an "actual trans person" would be heinously offensive.)

The example I go to is Laurel Hubbard. While she didn't even place in the Olympics against the top performing female power lifters, domestically in much lower ranks they did much better.

Being into fitness, I can't overlook the biological differences in muscle mass and bone density living as a man for your entire teenage and most of your adult life has versus someone who was born biologically female. That muscle doesn't simple disappear overnight, the bone mass doesn't return to any level because as far as the body is concerned, you developed with male levels of hormones and that's what it should be. If someone has trained their whole life as a man, the differences magnify. If they trained their whole life as a man and used Performance Enhancing Drugs, the advantage magnifies even more.

A life-long male in their early 30s who is untrained will, statistically, be stronger in most metrics that matter to professional sports than an untrained woman of the same age. So if they transition to female with no hormone therapy, then they will by the numbers have strength and performance above the female standard. It's why we even have gender separated sports in the first place.

I don't have an answer for what to do that makes everyone happy. But I resent people acting like someone's chosen identity > biological reality. It doesn't. If someone transitioned to female, they will never give birth. That's just a biological reality. They can simulate it but they can't actually physically do it. From there it becomes a gray scale of what you constitute as biological reality. And the stats on male vs. female performance are very clear. The presence (or absence) of testosterone over a life time and its long-term effect on physical development is well mapped. And I feel like that needs to be acknowledged in the discussion of who competes where and under what conditions.

I hate the sports issue too but it cuts to the quick of how we define gender. The question of "should I respect what you choose to identify as" isn't up for debate among sane, reasonable people. You just do. But now the question extends to "to what degree do I respect or should society contribute to your self-identity" when you start talking about things like sports. Or hiring practices around job requirements. Put another way, you be you. But when it has to intersect with the rest of society, "always yes" isn't a measured response. It's one that doesn't even want to address the complexities for fear they won't get what they're seeking.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 06:48:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2022, 07:06:20 pm »

The big thing about the sports issue is that we're not seeing sports get dominated by transwomen. The Olympics has been open to them for some 15 years or something, and yet the women are dominated by cis women. Time and again. If there was this enormous advantage you'd expect to see the trans athletes competing and winning, but you just don't. There was one weightlifter and she didn't do well.

Of course, as soon as one transwoman does do well, it's screaming about them doing well competitively and needing to be banned. See Lia Thomas, which was actually kind of bollocks. The oft used figure of something like ~350th placing up to 1st only really works when you take into account she got 350th while on hormones but still competing with men. Before that she was generally doing a pretty solid job.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2022, 08:54:12 pm »

Gee it's almost like they have medical standards for trans people to meet before they compete. (stuff like X time on hormones.)

Meanwhile, terfs here in the states have been very depressing, and it just sucks. I know acceptance is relatively high, but that shit can backslide and laws don't give a shit.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 70