- 0 (0%)
Titans
- 0 (0%)
Vault Guardians
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 04, 2022, 09:24:51 am

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23

Author Topic: In Search of Fairy Tales - Adelaathira - The End of Dwarfdom  (Read 39050 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In Search of Fairy Tales - Adelaathira - The Spear King
« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2023, 05:03:58 am »

Burt sits quietly after the funeral thinking about the fight that killed Grugni and Glorg wondering if there was something he could have done differently that would have saved them.

OOC
Appreciate it I may post the documents for it after I clean them up and we play the one shot!
It's a proper pathfinder system campaign using a df-world and lore
That sounds pretty cool, I look forward to the potential posting.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2023, 05:25:33 am »

Your travel towards Lashedfurnace begins with a rainy morning, but uninterrupted.

The next day is sunny and mild and you pass by Cursewax again on your way to Lashedfurnace

You make camp due south of the mountain range that the city languishes within.

There's a cool fall breeze and the forest is just beginning to take on the many hues of the fall season. There's significantly less foraging available now and so the party will have to rely on more hunting and trading.
As you sit around the fire you must consider your strategy for by tomorrow morning you will be within the lost city.
Search the city room by room, Wait to see if it comes out by itself, attempt to bait it to an open location, etc? It will likely never tire, but all of you shall

What is Loze Skullgraves? A fire breathing lizard waiting atop the city to burn you all? A giant crab spewing gas that melts flesh patrolling narrow corridors? Or an ooze made of feces resting in some room for you to wander by? Perhaps there is no beast at all? Have the dwarves even checked since they lost the city? His spheres of influence were caverns and disease
Egem, You have acquired 16 skulls also since you are from the dwarven civilizations you would know OF Loze Skullgraves, but not too much since he left no survivors.
Considering these disturbing thoughts after deciding strategy perhaps one of the party should tell a tale of their lives? It being true is inconsequential

You awake to yet another rainy day leaving the autumn breeze particularly chilling. You walk north and worth noting is that there is no surface roadway to this city. Strange considering the other one you recently went to had it's own high way, but without a map telling you wouldn't know that a great city is here.

You pass by a field of meadowsweet flowers. They only grow in mountain ranges and are another sign that you are entering lands with no food

Do you want to do anything?

Afterwords you make your way to the simple yet elegant entrance to the ruins. It's clear that surface interaction was not the intended priority of this fortress.

Source: Lord of the Rings War in the North Art https://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-24/lotr-dwarven-entrance.html

OOC:
Glad to pick things back up now! I'd have gone further, but strategy is important! This could easily be the quickest and easiest fight of the world gen or the actual hardest! And going in exhausted would be bad!
Also noted: All your characters REALLY like each other and most of you are mastering your social skills from the back and forth chatter that has been happening for months. Only Egem and Hal hate each other and Hal continues to try and make Egem laugh only deepening the anger.
I hope you all don't mind all the nature journeying and campfire interactions. I figured it realistically displays adventure travel and gives opportunity for character development. After I post this I'm gonna work on updating first post to add Galtran and update demographics.

One shot also went great! Party really loved the world itself and got distracted and lost a lot of time just talking with people and learning the ins and outs of towns and cultures. Once I clean up my DM-Document so it makes sense for other people to read I'll share it plus the character document I sent to them before hand. They all know me personally so they didn't require as much information to know how I generally run things.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 05:51:29 am by Maloy »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 02, 2023, 05:11:44 am »

Let's get some suggested ambience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzJ8J7cb9sM

The party crosses the gentle stream to the fortress proper. The dark stone is quite foreboding in appearance
On the way in you pass the Trade Depot.
It is stuffed full of gear and food. In fact, this food could not only feed the party, but many others during this famine as well!

Why is it here? Did the monster steal food and pile it here or perhaps the dwarves are providing sacrifices to it that it might leave them alone?

Regardless, you plunge into the deep.

Down, down, down you all descend into lightless depths.
Shortly, you pass a portion of the rampway that intersects with a cavern it's colors intruding upon the darkness temporarily. This would likely be where the beast originally entered the fortress, but it is unlikely he remains around this entrance so the party plunges deeper.
Had Grugni been here this could have been a feasible entrance to return to the caverns

Finally, you reach the fortress' massive residential and forge chambers. The party picks it's way through finding enough wealth to easily retire on for all their days, if they so desire. Weapons, armor, furniture, expensive and bejeweled clothing.
Finally, you creep down one last hall. There was light whispering chatter amongst the party the whole way down, but it has now silenced with anticipation

Lozu Unuorgo Desmo Zungo

Source: https://www.welcomewildlife.com/in-your-yard-mayflies/
Upon seeing Burt it immediately flairs it's trunk and sprays a cloud of dust engulfing itself and Burt. The valiant deer man is thrown against a wall by the force of the dust as the semi-liquid rapidly freezes.
The dust fills the corridor Burt had come from as well and his companions are pushed back as the dust freezes. They try to push through it, but the frozen material slows their progress considerably.

Egem valiantly fights through the dust lashing away with his whip and pushes the door open once more only to be thrown back again by another wave of frozen extract, but now the door has been coated and it is frozen open. Visibility in the room is zero as the frozen material forms a web covering floor to ceiling.

Finally, after a second attempt Egem makes it into the room and finds the beast standing atop of a statue of a dwarf while holding Burt by his shirt. Burt punches it square in the abdomen and it lashes out against him only hitting his shield.

The beast sprays Burt again, forming yet another layer of frozen dust upon his skin slowing him down. It lashes again and again, but Burt rolls and then blocks. Burt is now frozen to the ground though and unable to stand under so much webbing.
Egem fires saying "What are you if not an oversized dingo?", but the next wave of extract sends the bolt cascading into the wall instead and so he lashes at the beast instead as it dodges and pushes him towards Burt

Since these few moments have passed several new waves of extract flew in waves and coated the entryway again leaving Hal and Galtran hacking and pushing at it, but as soon as they push through one layer a new wave of dust floods the hall shoving them back where they started.
Burt and Egem are on opposite sides of the room from the beast who has used it's endless supply of powder to create distance. This provides Galtran the time needed to get through the door right as the beast begins moving full speed to the frozen eagle and deer. As it passes the entryway, still having not spot Galtran who is sneaking, Galtran delivers a wicked slash to the neck cutting through chitin.

The beast unleashes a keening noise and releases an even larger wave of dust followed by three more. The overwhelming flood sending Galtran back out of the room. Burt and Egem are slammed against the wall by the torrent, before it drags them south to the opposite end of the room. All of the party is forced to wait for the flood to end before pressing through the frozen mess the extract's stiffening on your clothes making every movement feel awkward and forced.

All of you assemble in time to find the beast--Dead

You have survived this battle, and gods willing this dust only freezes as each of you have inhaled and been covered by it. Time will tell

From what I've learned of the characters I don't think anyone will have moral cause to not loot the lost city?
It might have special significance to Egem who was sort of adopted by this dwarven civilization.

OOC:

Also fun fact I learned forever ago:

Legends viewer recognizes all deaths and lives, but people don't! So even though Avolition killed the swamp titan and changed the age many don't know he did and think the beast is still somewhere in the swamps. You have to specifically tell enough people who will spread it and so on. Kanil did it with some of the moon monsters he killed.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In Search of Fairy Tales - Adelaathira - Devourer of Cities
« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2023, 05:48:08 am »

Glad to hear the one shot has gone well.
Gonna do the stuff from this update and the last since I hadn't done ether yet.

As you sit around the fire you must consider your strategy for by tomorrow morning you will be within the lost city.
Search the city room by room, Wait to see if it comes out by itself, attempt to bait it to an open location, etc? It will likely never tire, but all of you shall

Burt thinks the best strategy would be to search the fort room by room as they don't know where in the fort the creature will be or how deep in it is, so their best bet is to find it rather than hoping it finds them.

You pass by a field of meadowsweet flowers. They only grow in mountain ranges and are another sign that you are entering lands with no food
Do you want to do anything?
He just sits and thinks about things for a bit before they move on towards the fortress.

Why is it here? Did the monster steal food and pile it here or perhaps the dwarves are providing sacrifices to it that it might leave them alone?
Burt thinks it's stuff left over from when dwarves still lived in the fort, as he's noticed that food prepared by dwarves never rots for some reason so who knows how old the stuff is.

You have survived this battle, and gods willing this dust only freezes as each of you have inhaled and been covered by it. Time will tell
Hopefully it just is cold and doesn't do anything permanent.

From what I've learned of the characters I don't think anyone will have moral cause to not loot the lost city?
Burt sees nothing wrong with looting the city, it's not like dead monsters need this stuff.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2023, 02:13:46 pm »

A pretty epic battle - but given how everyone was getting tossed around by the dust, I bet the beast died from its own dust flinging it into a wall.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 03, 2023, 09:08:28 am »

I could see that

It registers as Egem's kill, but the final blow was dealt with Galtran's blade

BUT the game insists that it was Egem's Silver Longsword that struck the beast even though Egem only has a whip and bow

Think its glitched, but either way Egem is now credited with killing the beast that destroyed the first dwarven city

Also I've generally improved Galtran and Egem's regular clothing getting them stuff that is encrusted with jewels, ivory etc
Nothing here fits hal or Burt

BUT there is a Steel Shortsword encrusted with jewels and jewel spikes. Thought about giving it to Burt or Galtran, except both of you have Silver Longswords which have superior reach.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 04, 2023, 02:43:27 am »

Sad that Burt can't get any fancy clothing but I guess that's what I get for choosing a big critter as my guy.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 06, 2023, 03:19:58 am »

Galtran would elect for wielding the steel short sword... if the option is still there.

"The next path should be towards Oarpassionate - capital of Craterous Glaze Dwarves, but what exactly were we supposed to do there, again?"

Otherwise, business as usual for the lad. Treasure, yes. Fighting, only if someone is looking.

I'm always curious about forgotten beast 'extracts' and their various effects. I sometimes wish there was the option to investigate the remains for clues..

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 06, 2023, 12:35:37 pm »

You're all planning to return the artifact spear to the king/queen of the Craterous Glazes in hopes that if war does break out between the human union and the dwarven silvery of staves the craterous glazes won't get involved.
You've also been help pacify former dwarven lands so they can reclaim that rather than continue to encroach on human lands in a time of intense famine.

I'm looking forward to 10 years from now when they add in a good poisoning system! I'd love to play an assassin using poisons made from forgotten beasts and taking out wizards, demigods, etc

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 13, 2023, 05:53:40 am »

Galtran would elect for wielding the steel short sword... if the option is still there.
The jeweled weapon fits snugly in your grip. It's reach is shorter than your silver sword, but it's weight and durability are obviously higher. You are no appraiser, but this weapon appears to be worth a fortune. It's yours now.

The party peacefully makes their way out into the light of day after gathering some food for the journey. The midday sun shines warmly on the party as they cross the babbling brook that served as the city's water source.

It is only a day and a half journey to Mebzuthishen - Oarpassionate to try and find the king and ensure peace.
It is an uneventful journey first through forests, then over an old dwarven highway, and finally through savannah plains before reaching the city at the base of the mountain.
Source: World of Warcraft

The surface portion of the city has only a few people about, but the party drops in at the tavern just in case. What is present would be a delight for the eyes:
Ambience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeo2VCCtUZQ

A working tavern! Not only fully stocked with alcohol, but plenty of tables. On a nearby stand are several instruments and a small stage to play on.
Working taverns are non-existent across the land, especially one with a large enough stock of booze to sell!
Although the alcohol is expensive, which is unsurprising considering the shortage of it.
What would you do? After many hard weeks on the trail this would be an ideal time to relax, drink and perhaps put on a show. After all there's no sign saying that you can't use the instrument.

Regardless when they are done, the party will set forth down into the underground city proper.

A similar spiral downward ramp into darkness, but instead of the ominous atmosphere of a city occupied by a giant monster or ruled by demon worshipping cultists this is much warmer as you hear all sorts of familiar urban sounds below.

The party gets off the ramp at the population center of the city and the hustle and bustle of life assails the senses:
Traffic running around and about the smoothed tunnels
Peacocks pecking about looking for food overturned from carts
A prophet doomsayer walks up and down screaming of the end of everything
A poet seeks to hand out copies of his work to passersby while reciting lines
Two horses, that clearly escaped their pen, wander off down the hall as you hear a distant voice likely shouting for them
People keep speaking of rumors of a famous spy called Dang, hiding within the city somewhere. From the goblin lands, although his race is not mentioned.
What is your reaction to the city?

You pass by markets selling foods; including rare underground meats such as from a gremlin
You pass a store selling accessories: Jeweled bracelets, earrings, rings, and an assortment of clothing all coated in the very same! On a few displays you see gems the size of your hand!
Do you want anything? You are fully stocked, but who says more is bad? How does such opulence make you feel?

You eventually wander your way into an office, unmarked, as you look for someone helpful!

You see a dwarf man in simple, yet elegant regalia speaking with two elderly dwarves. The elegant man is flanked by two other dwarves, dressed visibly like hunters from the wilderness, but their eyes watch the room more carefully like a guard's would!

You greet the dwarf, who turns to you as you walk in
Do you do so simply or with formality or with honor, etc?
He introduces himself "I am Aban Leafpost the last general of the Craterous Glazes." He bows to you even without recognizing you
Meeting the general is a great way to find the king and you request information about the local government
Feel free to phrase the request as specific dialogue for flavor - I won't speak directly for the party
He informs you that the city is under occupation and currently belongs to the...Patterned Images!
That's the name of the government ruled by the necromancers Kanil Inchwhip slew!
A cold hunter military captain rules the city...and the king is in hiding within the city.
Why would a king hide in the one place he is likely to be killed on sight?
As he speaks you can hear the voice of a guard shouting at and interrogating a passerby. He is very close to your position.

OOC:
This is actually new info for me! I had no idea the city was under occupation. There are no necromancers left, but the super powered intelligent undead are still a force to be reckoned with it seems!
Also can potentially change plans. If we want we can simply leave as without it's capital we surely can't expect the craterous glazes to join in a war!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 14, 2023, 06:01:32 am »

Burt would go for some alcohol since he has a better chance to get it here, after that he'd sit and watch what ever performer that's around.

He is glad to finally be in a place that isn't a ruin.

Burt will try to get a hold of some rings as he quite likes shiny bobbles.

He gives a simple greeting.

The king is probably hiding in here because he's probably just as likely to be killed outside as he is here.

There isn't much point in turning over the artifact since the place is under occupation.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2023, 05:29:30 am »

Yeah im wondering if it might be fun to help work out an insurrection? Also dangerous. Even if there’s only one cold hunter he could probably kill every single person in the city lol

Otherwise our next stop is a vault to gather weapons and armor!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 16, 2023, 03:04:21 am »

Helping place the king back in his proper place sounds like it could be fun, but we probably would need more members of the party to agree to do it before we should try.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 16, 2023, 09:07:37 pm »

The party gets off the ramp at the population center of the city and the hustle and bustle of life assails the senses:
Traffic running around and about the smoothed tunnels
Peacocks pecking about looking for food overturned from carts
A prophet doomsayer walks up and down screaming of the end of everything
A poet seeks to hand out copies of his work to passersby while reciting lines
Two horses, that clearly escaped their pen, wander off down the hall as you hear a distant voice likely shouting for them
People keep speaking of rumors of a famous spy called Dang, hiding within the city somewhere. From the goblin lands, although his race is not mentioned.
What is your reaction to the city?

Galtran, amazed by the sights and sounds, is entranced. He wants more of this place. So much opportunity, places to show off his fighting skill, and people in need of heroic deeds. In fact all of this is a bit overwhelming and Galtran takes respite in a nearby tavern for part of the day.

Helping place the king back in his proper place sounds like it could be fun, but we probably would need more members of the party to agree to do it before we should try.

Agreed, though helping the king does seem rather foolhardy until we scope out this fearsome militia captain who is currently in control of this place. So, perhaps we could recruit some lesser warriors into our midst, so as to take the first and heaviest attacks - cannon fodder, you know?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 18, 2023, 01:57:05 am »

Agreed, though helping the king does seem rather foolhardy until we scope out this fearsome militia captain who is currently in control of this place. So, perhaps we could recruit some lesser warriors into our midst, so as to take the first and heaviest attacks - cannon fodder, you know?

"Gathering some warriors to help us here is good idea especially with what we'll be running into with the next few stops on our quest."
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23