Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 103037 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #450 on: May 15, 2023, 09:29:47 am »

It doesn't even need to be true or false to be of immense benefit to Ukraine. The fact that the immediate response isn't "of course that's bullshit" but is instead "hmmmmmm" after months of mercenaries and defence ministry stooges accusing the other of leaking their positions to Ukrainian artillery means that even if no one has ever broken ranks, the ranks are already broken by mistrust and paranoia

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 15, 2023, 01:11:11 pm »

Belarussian president Loekasjenko admitted that the Russian aircraft and helicopters were indeed shot down were accidentally shot down by Belarus.

EDIT: I read it wrong, the fact that he admitted it was an accident, Russia still denies that any aircraft were shot down.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 01:17:36 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 15, 2023, 01:17:40 pm »

Belarussian president Loekasjenko admitted that the Russian aircraft and helicopters were "accidentally shot down" by Belarus.  ;D ;D
Fixed that for you!

...uh, could we get back to linking things?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 15, 2023, 01:45:55 pm »

What, Lukashenko has got better to be able to make such pronouncements?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 15, 2023, 02:02:41 pm »

What, Lukashenko has got better to be able to make such pronouncements?

He appeared in public today and he looks and sounds... not healthy.

But I am not sure that his death would be beneficial, it may accelerate the annexation of Belarus by Russia
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 15, 2023, 02:25:01 pm »

Belarussian president Loekasjenko admitted that the Russian aircraft and helicopters were indeed shot down
Interesting. Quick google to double check that also suggest that:
The respected Russian news outlet Kommersant reported on Saturday that a Russian raiding party comprising an Su-34 fighter-bomber, an Su-35 fighter and two Mi-8 helicopters had been shot down in an ambush near Klintsy in Russia's Bryansk region.

It said they had been due to attack targets in the Chernihiv region of Ukraine, directly over the border.

So I assume we are talking about These Mi-8:
The Mil Mi-8MTPR-1 Hip-H is a stand-off jamming system that remains outside the range of enemy air defence weapons to grant effective screening for the attacking tactical aircraft or combat helicopter packages as they are penetrating the enemy air defence system
Which gives credence to long range AA. I heard a rumor that it was another newly imported advanced weapon system.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 02:26:35 pm by jipehog »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 16, 2023, 03:29:53 am »

6 hypersuperubersonic Russian missiles were shot down over Kyiv this night. At least it is what Ukrainian Armed Forces claim
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #457 on: May 16, 2023, 04:44:24 am »

But I am not sure that his death would be beneficial, it may accelerate the annexation of Belarus by Russia
More realistically, Luka refused to engage his army in the Ukrainian conflict, despite Russian very untactful insistance.
If he dies, his next in line may not have the same strengh of will and may take his orders directly from the Kremlin.

In the meanwhile, Bakhmut counter siege is now in full swing and is looking good for the AFU

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 16, 2023, 10:43:16 am »

6 hypersuperubersonic Russian missiles were shot down over Kyiv this night. At least it is what Ukrainian Armed Forces claim

This is huge, if true. The first one could have been just a lucky break, but 6 out of 6 shot down would be great. Not so superuber as everybody feared.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 16, 2023, 10:45:02 am »

With Patriot missiles, of all things. I'm sure they've gotten updates over the years but its still 30 year old tech at its base
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 16, 2023, 11:12:39 am »

The upgrades are such that it would probably be more accurate to rename the thing at this point. The modern version doesn't have that much resemblance to the Desert Storm-era system other than the name.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 16, 2023, 11:35:22 am »

The headline is that '18 out 18 Russian missiles were shot down in Ukraine this night', including: 6 Kinzhal missiles, 9 Kalibr missiles and 3 ballistic missiles total.

That seem a bit too good to be true. Also there is a video claimed to be of said patriot system, showing it expanded its whole magazine (over 15 launches that I counted) and then couple of minutes later it look like it was hit. The Russian headlines suggest it was coordinated attack on the Patriot system and that it was destroyed.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 16, 2023, 11:40:17 am »

Hm, we'll just have to see if any more hypers get intercepted or through. The lack of boasting from Russia about the hypers would be confirmation enough.

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 16, 2023, 11:56:20 am »

The headline is that '18 out 18 Russian missiles were shot down in Ukraine this night', including: 6 Kinzhal missiles, 9 Kalibr missiles and 3 ballistic missiles total.

That seem a bit too good to be true. Also there is a video claimed to be of said patriot system, showing it expanded its whole magazine (over 15 launches that I counted) and then couple of minutes later it look like it was hit. The Russian headlines suggest it was coordinated attack on the Patriot system and that it was destroyed.

I read about the one possibly destroyed Patriot system only now. I guess it comes down to if Russia can sustain firing that many missiles to destroy one AA system. Or maybe the Kinshals were targeted at one Patriot system each, and only a single one hit successfully. But I guess we won't really know one way or the other for certain. I do hope the Kinshals are not as uber as Russia claimed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 11:59:54 am by Ganondworf »

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 16, 2023, 12:08:45 pm »

There are some propaganda games, yesterday Russia have claimed it took down 6 storm shadow missiles and now claims it destroyed the patriot system, which they use to argue that they can handle sophisticated Western weapons in Ukraine.

Here is a video (no idea if authentic, not the type of account i would trust) https://twitter.com/RadarFennec/status/1658287607938162690

The count of launches is closer to 30, spread between several locations (how many interceptors patriot launcher can hold 8? 16?) at the site and what looks like one hit. If the patriot system was targeted it make sense they expanded its arsenal and if the list of Russian missile downed is correct that is a good exchange.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 12:13:01 pm by jipehog »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 143