Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The Woodsman  (Read 13701 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: The Woodsman
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2008, 07:33:00 am »

send him off to fight carp again   :D only this time have him use his axe lol
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2008, 12:47:00 am »

Sixth of Malachite, 1055

I found a kobold creeping around my food stores.  The dogs attacked it, but it managed to slash Saab's leg open before they brought it down.  The thing was just looking around, but if there's one there'll be more.  Saab isn't looking too good, and I don't know if his leg is going to heal up, but I know the kobold isn't going to grow a new leg, especially now that it's dead.

I don't like this.  With the unusually low number of animals out here, and this kobold rotting away near my house, I think I may have settled in exactly the wrong place.  For all I know, there may be a bandit hideaway just up the stream or to the east, and that thought does not sit well with me.

My hand is showing small signs of improvement, but it still throbs from time to time, like it is now.  

I'll have to speed up work on the house to get it finished before anything meaner than this simple thief shows up.   I don't like this...

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2008, 12:56:00 am »

yay more woodsman, glad you found it in you to carry on mate =)  the isolation ... it can drive a dwarf insane ...

As for the kobold ... his bones may make a handy weapon or some menacing armor you could use to frighten your prey ... though I dread the day the goblins learn of your location and send their own version of a "rescue" party   :eek:

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2008, 06:30:00 am »

Malachite Sixteenth, 1055

I have finished flooring over the area above the dining room, and it has become somewhat cozy inside there, although it is still only a sod floor.  I have started making a long table to go in there, as well as a few more chairs.  Eating with only one chair, even if I am the only one who will ever use it, is an unbearably melancholic experience.   To look even upon empty chairs would be better than to look upon a setting made only for one, with not even the hope of another dinner guest accounted for.  Although it is a foolish hope, and one that bears no chance of being fulfilled, it still feels better to try and trick myself than to give in and accept what truly is.  

I am within the forest, the forest is within me.  It is too quiet in here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2008, 08:27:00 am »

Timber Nineteenth, 1055

Well, that was exciting.

I have spent a fair amount of time building onto the second floor of the house, and I was in the process of collecting wood for the wall of what is to become my study, should I ever require one.

I had put a few logs in place, and then gone out for more lumber.  When I came back, there was a black bear sitting in the hallway!  It seems the beast must have smelled some of my food, and had come through the open door when I was out getting more lumber.

As soon as I saw the thing I immediately dropped the logs I had been carrying and went back outside, closing the door behind me.  I could still hear it rooting around in there, and I couldn't afford to let it get at my hard-earned food stocks.  I don't care how much that tallow stew has congealed, it's still mine.  Having only my axe at hand, I tried pick up a small shield I had worked on for just such an occasion, but my hand would have no part in it.

Taking a deep breath, I tried to calm my thoughts, and went back inside.

I found the beast in the corridor leading to my food stores, and readied myself for the fight to come.  Pax and Pandora had followed me in, their hackles raised and teeth bared in that primal show of defence.  I, too, felt my lips pulling back as my teeth gritted and my hand tightened its grip on my axe.  This was not going to be easy.

The bear saw us, and began lumbering slowly down the corridor towards us.  As soon as it was close enough, I decided that letting anything that big take initiative was probably going to be a bad thing, and so I hefted my axe into a ready position and charged with all my might into the beast, swinging my axe with as much force as I could muster.  As I came, the bear rose up on its haunches in preparation for a swift and powerful swipe with its claws, but I was too fast.  As I threw myself into the warm fur of the bear, my axe came down and buried itself deep, oh so deep, into the creature's chest.

Utterly taken aback, the bear simply stopped moving for a few moments, before its eyes finally rolled backwards into its head and its legs gave way as the massive hulking body of the bear went crashing to the floor.  Blood bubbled up from the bear's mouth, the very dark and very red blood that comes from the lungs, and it finally gurgled something which may have been an attempt at a growl, a roar, or merely a whimper of pain.  

Pax and Pandora rushed forward to rip at the bulky felsh of the beast, but it was already dead.  No amount of tough skin or willpower could keep the inevitable from happening, as more blood frothed out of both the creature's mouth and the new mouth I had carved for it in its chest.  Not wanting the creature to suffer any more than it had to, I pulled my axe free in a spray of blood from the now unplugged chest wound and brought it down on the bear's neck, cutting the head of cleanly.

I stood there for a moment, mulling over what had just happened.  A bear had come straight into my home, and I had fought with it instead of letting it have its way with my food stores, possibly leading to hard times come winter.  I had split its very chest open, as the spreading pool of blood could easily attest.  I had completed nature's second test, and I didn't even get scratched.

My hand throbbed in the cold autumn draft that flew freely into the house as I stood over the corpse of the mighty animal, the flow of blood already slowing as the shredded lump of flesh that was once its heart stopped its futile attempts at bleeding.  I let my breath out in a long, slow exhalation that turned into a small cloud of steam before my face.  Hard times had come, harder times were coming.  

I think I'll manage.

Necronopticous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Primary Colors
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

Awesome.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

I look forward to seeing him eviscerate bears with his bare hands.

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2008, 03:10:00 pm »

Brilliant!
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

Sweet, time to make some bear pelt socks!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2008, 02:33:00 am »

Moonstone Twelfth, 1055

I ran into another kobold today while chopping lumber.  The beast ran off before I could do anything about him, though.  This worries me greatly, as there is now a perfectly healthy kobold out there who knows that someone is living in these woods.  I can only hope that it runs into some creature that will be quicker in dispatching the kobold, as the knowledge of my whereabouts could prove to be a very bad thing if it got into the wrong hands.  A single dwarf out in the woods with a bad hand would be easy pickings for any bandit who pulled his pants on and went looking for him, and that's exactly the kind of attention I don't want following me around.

I had started back towards the house when I heard the dogs barking.  I started running, and found that Saab was chasing yet another kobold away, although his wounded leg prevented him from capturing the thing.  I spotted a third kobold making off with my good steel bolts, the only "real" ones I have.  I took out my axe and ran after the bastard, as losing those bolts would be a very bad thing indeed if more robbers were to arrive.

My legs, strengthened by the long hours spent hauling lumber and climbing around the walls during construction, were more than enough to allow me to catch up with the thief before he could get away.  The fight was over before it even started, and the little cretin lay on the ground, bleeding profusely from an arm severed at the elbow.  I would obviously have to take better care of my possessions, if more of these sneaks show up.  And I have a very bad feeling that they will.

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2008, 03:02:00 am »

protect the precious!

also, how bad is the hand kagus?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2008, 03:27:00 am »

Still broken.  No signs of improvement, but I'm trying something new.

All I have to say is this:   Those god damned migrants.

I recently got a batch of six migrants.  I conscripted them and sent them off to a watery death, no problem.  But then I noticed that two of the migrants were children.  And, as we know, children cannot be conscripted.

So I set up a meeting area near the river, in the hopes that they (and their blasted pets) would get sucked in and munched.  Well, one did, but that made the other one so miserable he decided he needed a meeting to make himself feel better.  He went over to the Woodsman's cottage (he's still sleeping in the brewery shack, and I recently set it up so I could try another go at healing that hand of his), and waited outside.  Well, he's currently not available, so the kid throws a tantrum.  On my training ammo stockpile.

That damn kid sends bolts everywhere, turning my wonderful stack of 40 bear bone bolts into 40 stacks of forbidden bear bone bolts, all of which will have to be removed somehow because they are practically useless for training purposes, since he will pick up one bolt, fire it, go back to his room to think about what to do next, find another bolt, pick it up...

I really, really wish that either Dwarf companion starts working for 38c in a timely fashion, or that the pop cap in the init.txt file actually starts doing what it's supposed to.

EDIT:  Oh, and since I had one of the dogs out and about to guard my meeting area (expensive stuff stash), he got pulled in and eaten instead of the second kid.    The kid who is now a no-adjective thrower standing in the middle of a massive aura of bone bolts.  

I may just have to revert to a save and see if it turns out differently the next time around.

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2008, 04:58:00 am »

Children are practically useless from the get go so I don't think it would harm the hermit challenge (besides adding somebody, free labor), but you could have it be some wandering urchin.  

Then when the kid grows up to something conscript-able,  send it fishing.  And say the kid decided to leave or something.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2008, 07:51:00 am »

I don't think so.  The Woodsman's not quite ready to recieve guests.  At some later point, certainly, but not yet.

Oh, by the way.  That tactic of placing food and drink stockpiles next to a wounded dwarf?  Doesn't work.  They'll still starve even though the food is just one tile away.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »

yeah, they won't do anything if wounded, that's why i was asking about the hand ... to my knowledge, the only way to survive is if they can survive until the next season and then you have a chance to heal, but until then, they wont do anything at all, just "rest" =(

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7