Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 857 858 [859] 860 861 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1623425 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12870 on: February 13, 2015, 01:29:25 pm »

Ok guys, I need you to tell me what you think about my character :
Spoiler: morgue.txt (click to show/hide)

It is my first Halfling that far in the game. It is my first Stealthy character that far in the game.
I've been leveling my skills like that for a bit, now.
I don't think I especially need more offense nor defense.
I think I could spend some XP in spellcasting to get the low level spells online, but it's not really urgent.
Any advice about this ?

[Note : I've won with a few "easy" characters, but that was long time ago]

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12871 on: February 13, 2015, 03:28:13 pm »

I'm happily exploring Pan with my DsMo of Makhleb and 15 runes, but I've run into a bit of a problem. Nothing can kill me anymore. The only things I still do fear are very late mummy floors in the Ziggurat.

Winning the game is out of question as I did die in my first Zig (killing four of my ghosts afterwards). Now, this run is more like testing various end-game possiblities. So, do you have any suggestions to make game harder without being crippled (not wearing armor, etc)? I' thinking about taking Orb with me onto next Pan run.

Only the late mummy floors? Have you encountered the late fire floors? Though I guess if you do attract those orbs one by one somehow it can be fine.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It really depends on your char and the spells you have, but I think the late mummy floors are more dangerous then the late fire floors, especially without necromuntation or being undead (for the lovely torment+mutation immunity).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12872 on: February 14, 2015, 01:12:49 am »

WTF... on my three rune, with Mr++++ and rF+++ I still took significant damage (like 1/3rd of health) killing a single orb, and this was on a troll with a LOT of health.

How do you not die instantly in that situation?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12873 on: February 14, 2015, 01:42:42 am »

I don't see any winning something like that.  That's one of those fights I'd high five myself for escaping alive.
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12874 on: February 14, 2015, 02:06:39 am »

Ok guys, I need you to tell me what you think about my character :
Spoiler: morgue.txt (click to show/hide)

It is my first Halfling that far in the game. It is my first Stealthy character that far in the game.
I've been leveling my skills like that for a bit, now.
I don't think I especially need more offense nor defense.
I think I could spend some XP in spellcasting to get the low level spells online, but it's not really urgent.
Any advice about this ?

[Note : I've won with a few "easy" characters, but that was long time ago]
You look pretty powerful.

You can ALWAYS use more offense and defense, especially offense.  A +4 weapon is mediocre for the point in the game you're at, and if you really can't think of any useful skills to improve additional points into slings could provide solid benefit.  Personally I've found low level spells to be largely useless lategame BUT I'm not good at playing magic characters.

Your lack of rF and rNeg could bite you in the ass later on.  Most of the places you'll want to go for your third rune have potential sources of torment (with the exception of the Slime Pits, which you probably want to avoid).  rF is great in general (better than the rC you have) and more or less mandatory for retrieving the Orb.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12875 on: February 14, 2015, 05:01:29 am »

Hum, good points about the enchantments and the sling.

I've enchanted my rapier up to +9, and found a +6 freezing Greatsling (I thought halflings couldn't use them -_- ) and brought it up to +9.
I spend a bit of XP in the spellcasting skills to get most of my spells in "grey" failure rate so I can cast them safely.

There is a Fire Dragon Armor that I could get in case I need great rF, but it will hamper my stealth...
and there is not that much rNeg available right now, but I'm still in Depths:1. Given how I "easily" cleaned a Conjurer vault there, I think I can handle most of the Depths (maybe not the ZoT entrance vault), so I have some XP to gather there :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:04:44 am by tompliss »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12876 on: February 14, 2015, 11:43:47 am »

That amulet of guardian spirit is going to get you killed. Every last one of Lugonu's escape powers depends on mana and you won't have any mana just when you need it most.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12877 on: February 14, 2015, 11:48:12 am »

Me ? I'm all with xom :D
Only things I need Mana for are my spells, but with 40+ failure rates, they're not really online for now, but mainly useful for skeletons and such ;)
Guardian Spirit amulet gives me an extra 20% health ;)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12878 on: February 14, 2015, 12:57:37 pm »

I'm happily exploring Pan with my DsMo of Makhleb and 15 runes, but I've run into a bit of a problem. Nothing can kill me anymore. The only things I still do fear are very late mummy floors in the Ziggurat.

Winning the game is out of question as I did die in my first Zig (killing four of my ghosts afterwards). Now, this run is more like testing various end-game possiblities. So, do you have any suggestions to make game harder without being crippled (not wearing armor, etc)? I' thinking about taking Orb with me onto next Pan run.

Only the late mummy floors? Have you encountered the late fire floors? Though I guess if you do attract those orbs one by one somehow it can be fine.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It really depends on your char and the spells you have, but I think the late mummy floors are more dangerous then the late fire floors, especially without necromuntation or being undead (for the lovely torment+mutation immunity).
No late fire floors for me, it seems. Mummies finally got me at 20th floor of sixth Zig. Exploring Pan with an Orb was a fun experience. The only downside? Absolute need to have rMut (hordes of malmutating monsters).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4599r455ng2mj9h/morgue-Laesh-20150214-203056.txt?dl=0 (too large for posting here)
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12879 on: February 14, 2015, 07:58:57 pm »

I don't see any winning something like that.  That's one of those fights I'd high five myself for escaping alive.
You take them one at a time, use consumables to distract them (you need to use *tons* of consumables (6-8 of those evokable summon items, and tons of healing from a wand of healing) and make sure you have rF+++ and rM.
You have to position yourself so too many can't attack you either, which the easiest (only?) way to do is to use controlled blink to escape, as its the only spell that lets you have some control over your direction with  -tele control.
You need a good way to recover your mana, either sif, a staff of channelling, or that crystal ball will do.
Most importantly, you need crazy good gear, level 27, strong enough powers to kill the single (or grouped) orbs quickly, and some really important utility spells.

Missing any of those makes it much harder, and quite possibly impossible. I honestly think late mummy floors are nastier, as they torment the hell out of you, and throw a trillion smites and summons your way as well, especially if you kill them too quickly.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12880 on: February 14, 2015, 09:00:08 pm »

I escaped those orbs with ~20 hp left by spamming fog scrolls and running to the exit. Turns out orbs are still way faster then you even with haste.

You take them one at a time, use consumables to distract them (you need to use *tons* of consumables (6-8 of those evokable summon items, and tons of healing from a wand of healing) and make sure you have rF+++ and rM.
You have to position yourself so too many can't attack you either, which the easiest (only?) way to do is to use controlled blink to escape, as its the only spell that lets you have some control over your direction with  -tele control.
You need a good way to recover your mana, either sif, a staff of channelling, or that crystal ball will do.
Most importantly, you need crazy good gear, level 27, strong enough powers to kill the single (or grouped) orbs quickly, and some really important utility spells.

Missing any of those makes it much harder, and quite possibly impossible. I honestly think late mummy floors are nastier, as they torment the hell out of you, and throw a trillion smites and summons your way as well, especially if you kill them too quickly.

Mummy floors got nastier when they changed it so kills by summons and enslaved monster also evoke death curses. What always really helped (also in the tomb) was to use enslave undead to turn all the guardian mummies to your side and let them bash the greater mummies.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12881 on: February 17, 2015, 10:39:13 am »

Starting as an Abyssal Knight, I survived long enough in the Abyss for Lugonu to excommunicate me. Time limit is 14725,0 turns. Now, to find a rune...

EDIT: Starting Abyss seems to be only one floor. I can't find portals leading deeper
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:41:35 pm by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12882 on: February 18, 2015, 02:11:20 am »

Yeah, I think it's a special abyss with only 1 floor, especially made so that you can't get the rune earlier than normal ;)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12883 on: February 18, 2015, 02:25:07 am »

Yeah, I think it's a special abyss with only 1 floor, especially made so that you can't get the rune earlier than normal ;)
Also, IIRC, the loot is standardized to floor 1, so that you can't find +9 flaming triple swords to start out with.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12884 on: February 18, 2015, 02:55:12 am »

Also I think that in trunk you can once again go deeper into the starting abyss and find the rune.
Pages: 1 ... 857 858 [859] 860 861 ... 990