Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3550403 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1050 on: March 16, 2009, 03:46:18 pm »

That's what I mean by your assumption is flawed. Using your example, people here aren't saying that obsidian is worse than steel. It's equal if not better. Thus, +21 to +20 on a knife scale (obsidian vs steel).

I'm saying that even though it MAY be equal or better in terms of use, it's not as reliable: +21 (with .25 chance of breaking) to +20 (obsidian vs steel) using your silly example.

So even if you may rather have a +21 blade to save your champion (who for some reason can only be saved with a +21 blade of hellfire doom), you risk a .25 chance of it breaking off and killing him by accident or something. Since the guy can for some reason by saved with a 1 point difference in knife quality, it's valid to assume that anything equal or better than a 1 point difference in knife failure, even if he can change the knife when it breaks, will kill him.

Therefore, it's better to go for the one that won't break on you. Since the game as we know it won't tell you whether your knife (again, for some reason) is not good enough to save your ailing champion, there's no point in guessing who deserves better knives and who doesn't because it's a logistical nightmare.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 16, 2009, 03:46:39 pm »

... ok, I see your point, but you're missing the point of the estoc. It's primarily a thrusting sword, with less-well-sharpened edges. But the point of it was the point, its main thrust was thrusting, &c. To claim that it was left unsharpened is rather ignorant. Points need sharpening, too. On top of that, it would be useless as a blunt club, as you claimed swords were.

It seems you're using a different definition of sharpness than anyone else. Please remember that the difference between a thrusting and cutting situation is merely the cross-section of the wound. A tip is sharp; a blade is sharp. These are generally consequences of one another.

As a note, swords generally kept their cutting edges to prevent opponents from grabbing the blade, and for fighting unarmored opponents. Indeed, the German nobility (a military elite) kept their longswords 'til much later than the 1400s, despite advances in armor. It seems to me that this was not simply for tradition's sake. There are plenty of plates detailing how to use longswords against opponents with armor in the fighting manuals put out by the masters of the day.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 16, 2009, 03:56:17 pm »

In technical terms, a tip is acute, a blade is sharp.

There's a vast difference between the two, in terms of their use, maintenance, abilities, etc. when applied to a sword.

And the estoc had no sharpened edges.

It certainly wouldn't be useless as a blunt club, or they'd have never made the bastard and two-handed versions.

Keeping a cutting edge to protect the blade from being grabbed is fine, but that's different than using that edge to penetrate armour. Not all swords were sharpened, though. A lot of them weren't, and a lot of them were used as big stupid iron clubs--with points, fine.

But if they hadn't had a use for them, as clubs, they could have easily just made spears, with less metal and less skill involved.
For they would be your masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 16, 2009, 04:03:08 pm »

ARG arguments about weapons no one here has touched

So, health care.  Will a hospital be designated from a bed, like the barracks is?  Since unclaimed beds already function like hospitals.

Do we get to pick a chief doctor, or does one come like a noble?  Do they get a medical corp like the Fortress Guard?  Because it would be nice to see dwarves who are actually dedicated to healthcare and not just peasants with no other jobs enabled.  (Who then hang out in the meeting hall all day, get elected mayor, and run into combat to retrieve a wounded guy for the first time ever.)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 16, 2009, 04:09:18 pm »

I'm more curious about the noncombative aspects of healthcare. Will dwarves get sick, terribly sick, and fatally ill? Will there be different kinds of doctors? How about a healing success rate? How long will treatment take and is it possible to conduct treatment over a course of time. I.e:

A dwarf has a cold. Goes to see doctor. Doctor gives medicine. Dwarf goes back to work. Dwarf comes back a week later for refill. Etc.

-or-

A dwarf breaks his leg. Doctor puts cast. Dwarf goes back to work with cast. Dwarf goes back for checkup. Etc.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 16, 2009, 04:13:34 pm »

ARG arguments about weapons no one here has touched

I've actually handled quite a few different types of medieval swords, and other weaponry. My dad was a professional sword-appraiser for auction houses for years. He owns, and I have owned, several medieval era swords, as well as Japanese katana and wakazashi, civil war era sabres, and fencing swords.

This is stuff I grew up with, studied, and have personal hands-on experience of.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 16, 2009, 04:18:58 pm »

I'm interested to see if a dwarf with a broken arm will get a cast/sling or something, and then go back to work with, say, reduced production speed.  Instead of the wound being completely unimpeding, or the dwarf just sulking around until it heals.

Actually, a bigger question, is the healing of breaks/mangles (or whatever the wounds are now), still tied to the season change.

This is stuff I grew up with, studied, and have personal hands-on experience of.

You have academic experience with antiques and historians.  Honest, for-keeps medieval combat is another matter entirely.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 16, 2009, 04:23:39 pm »

You have academic experience with antiques and historians.  Honest, for-keeps medieval combat is another matter entirely.

That's correct, but I think it gives me an informed and valid opinion.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 16, 2009, 04:33:41 pm »

I'm interested to see if a dwarf with a broken arm will get a cast/sling or something, and then go back to work with, say, reduced production speed.  Instead of the wound being completely unimpeding, or the dwarf just sulking around until it heals.

Actually, a bigger question, is the healing of breaks/mangles (or whatever the wounds are now), still tied to the season change.

Since Toady only started it today, I think it is too early to ask.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 16, 2009, 04:35:01 pm »

Soap Makers wont automatically go to the Army now.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 16, 2009, 04:36:27 pm »

Since Toady only started it today, I think it is too early to ask.

He has plans and notes.  I'm more asking in general though.  I don't expect a comprehensive answer, it's just interesting.

That's correct, but I think it gives me an informed and valid opinion.

I didn't mean to start an argument.  I just don't think many real medieval smiths or warriors put this much comparative thought into the weapons of the day.  I see it like cars are now - multitudes of different styles and theories, all offering barely marginal advantages over any other.  But what are most choices based on?  Personal preference and gut-checks.  I imagine the same methodology persisted back then too.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 16, 2009, 04:36:50 pm »

Hmmm...if we do get specialized health-care dwarves, I'd like to see them get a decent amount of money in the economy phase. Right now a dedicated 'doctor' is usually even poorer then the haulers.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 16, 2009, 04:51:07 pm »

I didn't mean to start an argument.  I just don't think many real medieval smiths or warriors put this much comparative thought into the weapons of the day.  I see it like cars are now - multitudes of different styles and theories, all offering barely marginal advantages over any other.  But what are most choices based on?  Personal preference and gut-checks.  I imagine the same methodology persisted back then too.

You're probably right about that. But that's part of the fun of the exercise: comparing all those different methods, and methodologies, to what might or might not have happened, 600-800 years ago.

My whole point was that a lot of times, people take what they see in movies--ninjas with sharp edged katanas, or Zorro cutting candlesticks in half with a rapier, or the lightsabre--and assume that the edge ruled everything.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 16, 2009, 04:52:46 pm »

Will Toady eventually add in wood weapons? Like the Poor Man's Mace?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 16, 2009, 04:56:31 pm »

Elves already make wooden weapons, so they're possible. They're just not Dwarf-made. More an elven thing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 1065