Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131029 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1050 on: February 04, 2010, 10:14:21 pm »

Building some quarters for the queen (when she arrives) at the top of the tower.
Constructors run out, but their inexplicable cave adaptation means that they were vomiting everywhere.

The reason for the aforementioned cave adaptation? I neglected to reassign my outdoor statue garden...
Not a serious facepalm, but it sure made me feel stupid.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: February 05, 2010, 11:19:06 am »

Making quarters for the King and finding that the rooms aren't up to royal quality.

Ok, I dig out the rooms making them a bit bigger, smooth the new walls, smooth and engrave the new floor tiles.

Still not royal quality, expand it again, still not royal quality.  Hit myself on the head and realize I didn't go into the room with 'q' and expand its boundaries to include the new areas that were added.

This is particularly facepalm because I seem to eventually forget and do it again in some other fortress down the line.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: February 05, 2010, 12:57:31 pm »

Building some quarters for the queen (when she arrives) at the top of the tower.
Constructors run out, but their inexplicable cave adaptation means that they were vomiting everywhere.
Hope she likes the colour green.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: February 05, 2010, 08:33:56 pm »

Was building a pump stack for a magma cistern. I remembered to channel under the impassable tiles so there was proper power transfer, etc, but for the pump output tile, rather than channelling it out from above to allow the above pumps to take it, I ramped the hole out from under - nothing special, it's always been my standard designating method for stacks. However, this time, I made three mistakes. The first was to ignore my usual OCD tendancy to remove all loose stone immediately to try and get myself to loosen up a little. I figured the magma would eventually melt all that stone away anyhow. The second was to not remove the ramps, which I didn't for the same reason of actively trying to rebel against my obsessive habits. The third was not walling off the space above the output tile of each pump layer. Why bother? It's not like any dwarf was going to jump in or anything.

Cue an hour later, real-time. I'm suddenly spammed with dangerous terrain cancellations. Thinking my power plant had sprung a leak, I zoom to the last dwarf to cancel and found them at the access tower for the pump stack. Why? Damned if I knew, but they were on fire, and died shortly after. I doublechecked the job cancellations to try and solve this mystery, and finally found it.

The dwarves were trying to clean the molten rock from the magma-filled pump stack.

The final destination of the magma hadn't been filled yet, so the pumps were moving fast enough that there was never actively a 7/7 block of magma in any of the tiles. However, the rocks got hot enough to switch into the 'molten' phase, and since I'd left the output space accessible from above, the dwarves were trying to path into the perfectly safe area to take the non-forbidden molten stone and clean it up. I immediately whipped out a d-b-f, but it was too late for the first few victims. They died in the heat while their comrades were carrying them to safety.

tl;dr I love Dwarf Fortress.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #1054 on: February 05, 2010, 09:00:51 pm »

My speardwarf is called
Uvash Syrupcrowded the Cunning Kin of Blankets.

I mean, honestly, how do you get a name like that? Eat during a siege and sleep during the next?

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: February 05, 2010, 09:57:27 pm »

I'm working on a "simple" pressurized magma trap for a gate entrance.  I'm planning on it being 5 tiles wide. 

I designed it very modular in 2x2 blocks that are going to be mirrored.

I built a prototype 2x2 block in order to test my theory and make sure one lever could control it all.

All the sudden there was more magma in the trap than I'd anticipated...  I'd forgotten a diagonal.

No problem, switch to empty trap instead of fill trap. 

Things stopped, but now there was too much magma in the trap for me to make sure it worked.

I sent Urist McRedShirtMiner to go channel out a couple squares to lower the magma levels.

Oh right.... My "empty trap" pump was causing the magma cistern to be pressurized. 

"Medic RedShirt" ran in to save Urist McRedShirtMiner who melted both of his feet off and then passed out. 

Locked the door on those two who were now on fire. 

Oh well, didn't need the room they were in... I can still test my trap if I flood the room they were in to 7/7 magma.

**Jeopardy theme**

Alright new improved RedShirt approved magma cistern full.  Test the trap again. 

Got extra magma again... Reverse the pumps...  Oh right... the place where the dwaves died is 1 level below the exit pump.  And because it used to be an obsidian farm the new level getting flooded is lined with fortifications. 

I did about 2 or 3 facepalms in there.  And now, I feel I am one step closer to the proper level of respect for pressurized magma.  On the bright side... The logic system I decided to use worked great..

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #1056 on: February 05, 2010, 11:44:24 pm »

One of my dog patrol leaders (read: single-squad crossbowdwarf in charge of a large pack of war and hunting dogs, mostly used for patrolling outside of fortress for thieves and snatchers) was caught outside with his dogs when a siege began, and while he survived unhurt, he lost just about all of his dogs (he had 12, I believe). He took this quite heavily and ended up throwing a tantrum at the local waterfall.

Taking out his anger on the floor grate he was standing on might not have been the smartest thing he's ever done. He survived, mostly because the river had recently been drained and was only 3-4 units deep, but bled to death shortly thereafter inside the fortress. Pretty sure he wasn't hurt from falling into the water, and I don't think there were troops near him when he died, but now that I think about it, it was probably the hammerer who did it. That ****** is going to find himself locked in his quarters soon.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: February 06, 2010, 01:29:41 am »

Decided to challenge myself a bit.  Found a magma pipe near a road and decided to set up a nice town for travelers to supposedly stop by in.  Progress has been slow, had expected to at least have a town hall built after a year but I've been busy.  Setting up the magma workshops has been slow, same with figuring out how to deal with the aquifer that is apparently present on a few different z-levels and entirely contains my flux stone.

Then a child got abducted.
Then a ambush showed up.  With two squads and crossbow goblins.
Thankfully, the humans were at the depot at the time, so I only lost three of my four wrestling recruits, a cat, and a war dog.  Pretty nasty attack for just being there for a year and a season... I guess that long andesite block road made the goblins jealous?

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: February 06, 2010, 05:18:04 pm »

I started a new fort because I felt like trying to make a volcano by carving away all the terrain around a pyramid and then pumping magma up through the top to pour down around it.

I embarked in a heavily wooded area, and set to planning out my volcano  Everythingw as staked out, and I planned to ramp away all of the ground I didn't need.

Now, I am aware that carving a ramp under a tree will cause a cave in, so I made sure to cut down all the trees that wwre in teha rea I was removing, and then I designated the entire swath as ramps.  This was after a near miss where I forgot I hadn't finished clear cutting and I have a cave in knock out both of my miners.

Anyway, I redesignate the entire swath to be ramped out, and my miners get to work, taikign breaks and stuff as them like, not moving too fast...

One of the saplings in the area I'd clear cut grew to full size and crushed one of my- now legendary, miners.

The worst thing is I knew that could happen, and I had taken steps to prevent it... and I hadn't saved in about 3 seasons and am only 1 year in, so it would have been a huge waste to save scum at that point.

Random peasant from the first immigration wave has inherited his pick.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: February 06, 2010, 10:27:58 pm »

Well in my new fort where i decided to tackle magma again(last time i failed horribly, but it wasn't the magma, it was like the world conspired against me using it), anyway two facepalms were had.
First, seeing as i don't want to overcomplicate it into fun i just dug out a room next to the pipe with and identical one above it, then in my rush to get industry going i leave the intake one tile wide and shut the door to the room, then i channel out from above, and just as the magma starts pouring in i realize i hadn't built any fortifications to filter out the imps *facepalm*
Then to fix this, i dig out another room, expand the one above then build fortifications and then channel out, all is working well by now.
A while after that some migrants come from the northeast corner, now they spawn there and just wait, all the while a huge wildfire is approaching them(the pipe is open air and i didn't completley walled it off by then so the imps got out), and nicely enough the dwarwes decide that it's time to get into the fort, and go trough the fire, all of them burning, now it wasn't a blow for my fort as it was somewhat established but dammit there were some useful proffesions there.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: February 06, 2010, 11:01:47 pm »

... nicely enough the dwarwes decide that it's time to get into the fort, and go trough the fire, all of them burning...

At least they didn't live long enough to serve as a "fuse" from the Fire Imp directly to your alcohol stash..

Well that might have been fun actually...

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: February 07, 2010, 01:57:56 am »

I've set up a toll gate for caravans in my fortress.

Whenever traders come through my chanelled out corridor to my depot, a set of bridges (connected to levers) seal them into the depot. I then trade with them, seize or offer goods depending on what they brought and who they are, and then I lower the gate leading out. It looks great, and is fun as hell to mess around with too.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Silvit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: February 07, 2010, 08:17:39 am »

letting my dwarves butcher fire imps.
those of you who haven't seen barrels of fat burn, its like booze except for a year.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: February 07, 2010, 11:31:22 am »

I set up an airlock system which never left a path between the fortress and the outside. It worked great for the wagons, not so much for the liaisons. I ended up building a second bridge for just the liaison to use, which I just know I'll leave down someday.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: February 07, 2010, 07:13:31 pm »

I decided that I needed to increase the size of my military, as 6 dwarves defending a fort of 110+ was rather silly.
Unfortunately, I forgot that the current military were all decked out in exceptional and masterwork equipment, and were all champions legendary pretty dang awesome demigods, and therefore did not switch them out to "on duty" before letting the newbies start sparring. With no armour.
Oh the Humanity Hilarity Dwarfity!

Now the rest of my population are tantrum spiraling because they're sad about losing useless peasants who were somehow friends with everyone in the fortress.
They are so busy squabbling that no-one is pulling the lever that closes the gates, despite the horde of Orcs outside, racing towards the entrance. And the military are dead, resting or imprisoned for murder. Great.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 729