Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126485 times)

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2775 on: October 10, 2010, 05:58:09 am »

I'm trying to learn how to deal with cages containing untamed animals.

What I did until now:

I designate a pit near my barracks, then assign one of the caged animals to the pit, and I watch for jobs cancelling due to the animal escaping, then I try to locate the animal in the crowd and send the militia after it.
This solution is clearly not satisfying, better not miss the job concellation announcement, and it can be dangerous. I had one of my animal handler's brain destroyed by a warthog, once.

What I'm trying to do now:

I build a room, locked with a bridge commanded by a lever next to the entrance.
I build some cages inside the room, link them with the lever.
Activating the lever should close the room and deconstruct the cages, then, I will station some miltary next to the entrance and pull the lever again to open the room and order the militery to kill the "escaped" animals.
What happens now:
1) Urist MacJobless arrives and pulls the lever.
2) The bonobo cages are deconstructed.
3) Urist MacJobless spots a deconstructed cage and enters the room to bring the cage back to the stockpile.
4) Oups, the poor dwarf will be trapped with the bonobos: quickly forbid the content of the room.
5) Urist MacJobless turns back.
6) The bridge raises just when Urist is on it and crushes him.
7) Facepalm.

Why is there such a delay between the moment the cages are deconstructed and the moment the bridge raises ?

And having to build those cages, link them and then pull levers is a bit annoying. Is there a better way to deal with caged untamed animals (I want to use them to train my soldiers, so atomsmashing is not interesting.)

By the way, Bonobos can be dangerous: one of them bit a hunting dog, shook him, and the lower body was separated from the upper body.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: October 10, 2010, 08:43:51 am »

Managed to flood out yet another starting outpost with a badly designed plumbing system.  This time I didn't give the water enough space at the bottom of the waterfall to spread out before entering the drainage.

The result was fortunately not complete flooding, because the drainage was larger than the inflow as is proper, but every level of the fortress with a waterfall viewport being flooded about kneedeep with water as the waterfall can't flow into the drainage quite as fast as it falls.

A couple months away and I already became Competent Fortress Planner (Rusty).

P.S.  As a result the group name for my next attempt is "The Smear of Failure"
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 08:49:24 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GenexController

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: October 10, 2010, 04:23:13 pm »

It has come the forgoten beast Akon Ongnoomag Xasnoszongosp a vicous forgotten creature made of steam, it rushes through the caverns depratley trying to find an entrance to the home of the unknowing dwarves above it's head. Out of frustration for not finding an entrance imediatly it goes into a rage and attacks the indigenous creatures of the caverns, namely a band of Old men and women, in seconds a volley of blowdarts from the indegiouness fly at the moster who growls menicingly, the darts innialate the monster upper body and the threat is no more. Yeah that really just happened lees than a minute ago....

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: October 10, 2010, 04:27:51 pm »

It has come: the forgoten beast Akon Ongnoomag Xasnoszongosp, a vicious forgotten creature made of steam, it rushes through the caverns deparately, trying to find an entrance to the home of the unknowing dwarves above its head. Out of frustration for not finding an entrance immediately, it goes into a rage and attacks the indigenous creatures of the caverns, namely a band of Ol(m?) men and women, in seconds a volley of blowdarts from the indigenous creatures fly at the monster who growls menacingly, the darts annihilate the monster's upper body and the threat is no more. Yeah, that really just happened less than a minute ago....
It seems that your steam monster. . .
. . .let off all his steam.
 8)
EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:14:12 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: October 10, 2010, 04:58:50 pm »

It has come: the forgoten beast Akon Ongnoomag Xasnoszongosp, a vicious forgotten creature made of steam, it rushes through the caverns deparately, trying to find an entrance to the home of the unknowing dwarves above its head. Out of frustration for not finding an entrance immediately, it goes into a rage and attacks the indigenous creatures of the caverns, namely a band of Ol(m?) men and women, in seconds a volley of blowdarts from the indigenous creatures fly at the monster who growls menacingly, the darts annihilate the monster's upper body and the threat is no more. Yeah, that really just happened less than a minute ago....
It seems that your steam monster let off all his steam.
 8)
He was a load of hot air.  ::)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: October 10, 2010, 05:02:48 pm »

I'm trying to learn how to deal with cages containing untamed animals.
[->bridge accident for Urist MacJobless]
And having to build those cages, link them and then pull levers is a bit annoying. Is there a better way to deal with caged untamed animals (I want to use them to train my soldiers, so atomsmashing is not interesting.)

I've improved the system by adding a corridor and a door to avoid next lever puller going into the killing room, and installed 4 warthog cages. Then I stationed 3 soldiers in the cage room.
As the lever puller was late, one of the soldiers (who was a militia captain) fell asleep.
When the lever was pulled, a warthog started kicking the sleeping militia captain, and apparently, this did not wake him ! And after a while, he got his brained jammed. <Facepalm>

I play version .31.14, so there are no goblins attacks; but obviously, I don't need them to have FUN...
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Tel_Janin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: October 10, 2010, 08:54:50 pm »

"Let's build a waterfall!"
"Great idea, let's make sure to have adequate drainage, though!"
"Good idea, let's do that. Now we have a waterfall system, let us hook up the pumps to the waterwheels!"

Urist McWeaver has drowned.
Urist McDyer has drowned.
Urist McPeasant has drowned.
A stray puppy has drowned. (x20)
Cog McMechanic has drowned.

"..."
"..."
"That's a pretty powerful waterfall, maybe we should cover more of the drainage sluice."

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: October 10, 2010, 08:59:09 pm »

"Let's build a waterfall!"
"Great idea, let's make sure to have adequate drainage, though!"
"Good idea, let's do that. Now we have a waterfall system, let us hook up the pumps to the waterwheels!"

Urist McWeaver has drowned.
Urist McDyer has drowned.
Urist McPeasant has drowned.
A stray puppy has drowned. (x20)
Cog McMechanic has drowned.

Only 4 Dwarves died? Well, and 20 puppies, but this is DWARF FORTRESS! Not PUPPY FORTRESS!...
That's a great idea!

*Off to make a game called Puppy Fortress*

"..."
"..."
"That's a pretty powerful waterfall, maybe we should cover more of the drainage sluice."
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: October 10, 2010, 11:54:53 pm »

My first taste of fun happened when i had a half-decent fortress running, a Hydra smashed down the fort's back door, started killing my Dwarves and then somehow a Blind Cave Ogre showed up in the fray (Which is odd because i was at ground level). I then realized i was a idiot for not training a army and keeping that exit unguarded.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: October 11, 2010, 06:08:34 am »

I giant arrived on my map and immediately started chasing one of my legendary guys ( first facepalm ). Apparently they had both the same speed, because they did at least around 7 full laps of the entire map going always the same path. Every lap I was yelling at the screen because the giant kept missing around 30 cage traps ( apparently he was vulnerable to them ) and my dude just wouldn't get inside so I could raise the bridge.

facepalm after facepalm after facepalm.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: October 11, 2010, 01:23:35 pm »

In one of my first 5 fortresses I used b -> j to build cage traps and then wondered why they never caught anything.
Cage traps are my magma.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: October 11, 2010, 08:17:06 pm »

Waitaminnit.

Are the [WET] and [DRY] tags necessary for aboveground plants?

Because if so, I just figured out why I haven't been able to find sliver barbs and sun berries ANY FREAKING WHERE despite the presence of feather trees/glumprong.  >:|
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: October 11, 2010, 08:41:31 pm »

Got a possessed jeweler so i was going to force him to use our more valuable pink garnets (60*), i had to manually forbid all the gems i could find, which left him only a few choices. So he snags the first one i missed, which he was carrying off to be cut as it just so happens, I forbid it and when he gets to the workshop he just drops it and goes off to get something else. I then unforbid it. When he comes back with the next gem (also forbidden for low value) He drops it and immediately begins using the sunstones he brought first because I unforbid them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

jackrabbitslim

• Bay Watcher
  • Erin go Bragh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: October 11, 2010, 11:25:08 pm »

One of my military dwarves loved silver. I wonder if he had happy thoughts as he was stabbed to death by goblins with silver pikes?
I may be insane but I'm not crazy

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: October 11, 2010, 11:27:56 pm »

One of my military dwarves loved silver. I wonder if he had happy thoughts as he was stabbed to death by goblins with silver pikes?

Urist McDead is ecstatic. He took serious injury recently. He enjoyed a Silver Pike recently. He dined in a legendary dining room recently.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 729