Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126600 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3045 on: November 13, 2010, 08:10:19 pm »

Playing in adventure mode while testing out an adventurer reactions mod.  I get ambushed my a grass assassin, a large modded preying mantis like critter.

I fight the beast and finally kill it.  Then on the last strike I realized why it was taking so long to kill.  I wasn't using my sword, I was using a +schist carving knife+.

Facepalm
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MacMahoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: November 14, 2010, 01:27:19 am »

Designating a corridor be dug and not paying any attention. (luckily) my legendary miner got to it first and I found that one of my adamantine strands is solid for at least 9 z levels.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: November 14, 2010, 04:17:59 am »

Where can I find this graphics set?

I think that's just with TrueType turned on.
Can't be. The tiles in the border don't exist in the default tiles.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: November 14, 2010, 09:09:25 am »

I recently lost 8 dwarves to thirst. It was the middle of winter and the lakes were frozen. I couldn't make any booze because all of the barrels were filled with food.

Every time I made one the idiots would immediately grab it and fill it with food.

I had to dig down to the caverns to get them water.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: November 14, 2010, 09:26:19 am »

A Goblin ambush just arrived, minutes after a previous one. Most of my surviving military is in hospital, so I decided I'd just have to lock the doors and wait it out, sacrificing the lives of the dwarves still outside, if need be. I managed to lock one, but, to my sheer amazement, A dwarf then opened the other and just... stood there. He wanted to see the goblins apparently, and he got his wish. Now the door is jammed with his corpse and the goblins are flooding in.  ::)

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: November 14, 2010, 09:56:22 am »

Round two of my water provision adventures. I had made an exploratory shaft to see how many layers of sand before I got to rock, then started digging out a basic room. Then remembered that I wanted a channel across my entrance and in so I could put my well there.

Placed my channel designation OVER the down stair.

I now have a large room full of water. Praise the miners!

However, my non DF playing little sister suggested a aquatic rehab, so hey! Not a complete loss. Just have to get my beds made and gather food so I can work on pumps and stuff.

Oh, crap. FP part two. That save got trashed when I was fixing my busted raws.

::)
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: November 14, 2010, 11:08:16 am »

trying to run away from
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in adv mode.

and accidentally breaking into an ocean through the bottem of my fort thinking i could handle the insane water pressure, 54 dwarfs, drowned almost instantly, and another 20 starved to death from being locked in they're rooms because the water was outside their door.
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #3052 on: November 14, 2010, 02:00:16 pm »

I recently lost 8 dwarves to thirst. It was the middle of winter and the lakes were frozen. I couldn't make any booze because all of the barrels were filled with food.

Every time I made one the idiots would immediately grab it and fill it with food.

For future reference: create a separate stockpile just for booze, and set the level of "barrels permitted" in the other food stockpiles to zero.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: November 14, 2010, 02:17:07 pm »

For future reference: create a separate stockpile just for booze, and set the level of "barrels permitted" in the other food stockpiles to zero.

Everytime I try to customize stockpiles, the dwarves won't put anything into them.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: November 14, 2010, 02:51:10 pm »

I embarked on a map which I assumed must be frozen all year round. I based this assumption on basically nothing. Then I began digging into the frozen underground river to harvest ice blocks. You all know what happened next. That fort didn't last long.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: November 14, 2010, 03:30:27 pm »

I dug into the ocean and forgot to seal it off. My fort encountered lots of Fun!
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: November 14, 2010, 03:36:06 pm »

A Goblin ambush just arrived, minutes after a previous one. Most of my surviving military is in hospital, so I decided I'd just have to lock the doors and wait it out, sacrificing the lives of the dwarves still outside, if need be. I managed to lock one, but, to my sheer amazement, A dwarf then opened the other and just... stood there. He wanted to see the goblins apparently, and he got his wish. Now the door is jammed with his corpse and the goblins are flooding in.  ::)

And that is why you should have two or even three lines of doors at regular intervals.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: November 14, 2010, 03:44:46 pm »

My best soilder just decided to fight the goblins while standing on the only bridge over the water. By now I would actually have been surprised if he did not. As normal he soon dodged into the water. For once I decided to actually try a rescue since there was only 5 soil tiles between my storage area and the soilder. The miners for some reason decided to priorities the rescue and the dwarf got out of the river with just a scare. all is good so far.

but now all my dwarves rush in to the slowly flooding storage area to put the booze the water is pushing around back into the storage area. *facepalm*
and the dwarf building the wall insist on working from the left side where he walls himself in if he succed (*facepalm*), but its never bellow 3/7 so he is always pushed away and I can't do the suspend trick *facepalm*
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: November 14, 2010, 04:05:54 pm »

So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: November 14, 2010, 04:16:44 pm »

If that kid reaches adulthood, train him into a supersoldier. He's got potential. Too much potential to be lost in a flooding accident.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:58:23 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 729