Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126661 times)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4020 on: March 10, 2011, 01:11:11 pm »

A hundred per dwarf. I eventually managed to fix it at least momentarily by assigning them in separate stacks of hundred instead of just changing the amount of the original (in the military/ammunation menu).

For some reason they didn't recognize more than a small fraction of the bolts as theirs. I suspect it might have to do with the fact I had forbidden some of the metal ones (which they presumably had claimed for the squad) and the squad didn't know how to deal with that.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Adramelech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: March 10, 2011, 02:34:55 pm »

One of my worst was definitely realizing the quick movement you could get from holding shift when moving around the map.
Boy, did that ever save time with tree designating.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: March 10, 2011, 04:26:31 pm »

Having a legendary axedwarf die to a human lasher with a silver whip...  >.<

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: March 10, 2011, 06:43:49 pm »

Abandoning two badlands embarks needlessly.

Reason?

There's no trees on the map -- clearly, the map is bugged, so let's abandon and start again.

...in a badlands.

With "Trees: NONE" in big red letters at the top of the embark screen. >.<

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: March 10, 2011, 07:05:43 pm »

With "Trees: NONE" in big red letters at the top of the embark screen. >.<

"What idiot chose this location?"
(whisper whisper whisper)
"Oh. Well. Right then. Let's find the caverns."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: March 10, 2011, 09:47:12 pm »

Made some hand-sized elbow spurs for a creature and forgot to make them out of anything. By the time I realised this blatant error I'd boosted the spurs considerably to get more kills from the arena mode combatants.

The resulting fountain of limbs was quite amusing to watch, even if it was over as quickly as a fireworks display.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kit temple

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The last elven miner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28:40 pm »

I once released a cage animal, A whole mess of them during an invasion..Good news was The miner caste surrived!,Bad news being i had to cave in the only entrance and now there trapped around groud with...something from the pits of the world..*cue dramatic music where dwarven miners are fighting to the death!"

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: March 11, 2011, 07:22:39 am »

The first few weeks of playing DF when I didn't know about how to make drinks, and everyone was going on tantrums because they didn't get their wine.

Also when I got two years int oa fortress and forgot that I started to make a farm. Yeah, that was... That was.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: March 11, 2011, 01:58:10 pm »

I just spent... I don't know... six months to a year with over half my dwarves burrowed inside my fortress after an ambush. I didn't realize until the next ambush that the burrow was still there. The migrants who arrived afterwards were the only ones allowed outside. That kind of explains how freaking unproductive this year was.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: March 12, 2011, 01:39:21 am »

I recently found out that the upright cotton candy stick hidden in certain maps shows up on the screen for linking upright spears to levers...
Stop that. No more clown references.

Bit late for that, old chap. clownite has entered the DF lexicon, and it has stuck
What if i said please?
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: March 12, 2011, 03:07:06 am »

I just embarked to a terrifying desert with only one military dorf.

He and the miner are the only survivors of the starting seven, both having a tantrum contest in the depths while the dozen skeleton camels chase my geese around the map.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: March 12, 2011, 10:52:51 am »

I just embarked to a terrifying desert with only one military dorf.

He and the miner are the only survivors of the starting seven, both having a tantrum contest in the depths while the dozen skeleton camels chase my geese around the map.

Why is that a facepalm moment? seemspretty natural to me

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: March 12, 2011, 12:56:33 pm »

Well, this one had me facepalming a good bit. My Duke decided to throw a tantrum. I decided to figure out why. Apparently, he was traumatized by a lesser's burial arrangements. ... This was odd because I had been very careful to prevent this from happening... Well, I guess not careful enough... It turns out that one of my mass graves has an artifact coffin in it valuable enough to be a stand alone Royal Tomb. 
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: March 12, 2011, 06:01:56 pm »

Well, this one had me facepalming a good bit. My Duke decided to throw a tantrum. I decided to figure out why. Apparently, he was traumatized by a lesser's burial arrangements. ... This was odd because I had been very careful to prevent this from happening... Well, I guess not careful enough... It turns out that one of my mass graves has an artifact coffin in it valuable enough to be a stand alone Royal Tomb.

Nobles are useless, period.

Well not actually useless since my baron still mines, engraves and even fights in the military... but he was less annoying as expedition leader, you know.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: March 12, 2011, 10:35:36 pm »

A facepalm of relief. The Goblin Civil War going on lead to 3 ambushes at once lasting about ten seconds. The only Goblin who eventually tried to attack got snapped up in a cage trap.

Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 729