Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126448 times)

JTH

• Bay Watcher
  • Selemat Pagi
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4815 on: August 01, 2011, 04:35:32 am »

As i was progressing wonderfully through my cave challenge fort, a very mean little forgotten beast showed up. I did not know that they exist on the first cavern level.

*snip*

Boy was i wrong.

Were you using the new Mars world generation?

Nope, dont even know what your talking about  :D. i am using the Dig Deeper GOLD mod though

It was a joke. Since the floor is all red (from dwarf blood I presume) and Mars has a similarly red surface, he made the connection. I laughed.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: August 01, 2011, 05:55:32 am »

>.>
Stone pots need stonecrafters, not masons.

Dehydrated dwarves will drink booze, but it takes them a long time to drink from a barrel and if everybody's thirsty you need enough for the whole fortress. Next time, make waterskins and put everyone in a squad. Refilling a waterskin takes a few ticks and not a few days like drinking from a barrel, and they'll fill up on water if there isn't enough booze.

Doh, I wondered what took the thirsty dwarfs of mine to drink that time. This is a nice advice to go for those tight booze situations.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: August 01, 2011, 03:32:48 pm »

There is one caveat with waterskins though -- a dwarf will take three units when refilling the waterskin. If you're starting with a bunch of thirsty dwarves with waterskins and no water to tide them over, two units per dwarf are going to be taken out of circulation. This doesn't really matter initially. If you don't have enough booze to satisfy a bunch of dwarves with waterskins, then you won't have enough barrels to satisfy a bunch of dwarves without waterskins (unless all your barrels have five units of booze in them when they come out of the still, maybe). Once everybody is carrying booze, however, the status screen ceases to be an accurate measure of how much drink is available.

Running out of barrelled booze won't kill anyone if there's water available, but three drinks of water is enough to make a dwarf start suffering from sobriety. Still, it's worth it to have a 90-dwarf fortress go from roughly a dozen drinkers at a time to one or two.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Mister Dirks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: August 01, 2011, 04:53:24 pm »

It was a joke. Since the floor is all red (from dwarf blood I presume) and Mars has a similarly red surface, he made the connection. I laughed.

Oh i see, now i feel stupid :/
Every village = Farm plots
Vegetables grow and wither...
Thats about 100 tiles of dead food...

NECROMANCY, RAISE THE VEGETABLES!
WE WILL RULE THE WORLD THROUGH HEALTHY GOODNESS!!

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: August 01, 2011, 05:43:52 pm »

Hey, guys. You know those military-based forts that never got attacked and therefore got abandoned year two-ish? Well, I decided to make a megaproject, and I went to turn off invasions in my init folder so I could make it in peace.
Yeah, you can guess what happened next.
*facedesk*

Aatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: August 01, 2011, 06:55:37 pm »

When I first started: not realising that one needs to build both down and up stairs, then trapping a miner in hole with no idea how to get him back <.<

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: August 02, 2011, 02:43:17 am »

Every fort that I build I build with Defenses in mind, namely traps. So the game goes on, anyone that comes even close to my fort needing to go through roughly 1000 attacks from my traps, and not dodge off the very narrow platform only to fall to your doom. Dozens of goblins, an ettin or two, all fell to the large number of traps. I also sealed off the caverns so I wouldn't have to worry about FB and other nasties from below. Needless to say, I was more then a bit lax about my military.

Then the megabeast came. *Facepalm*

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: August 02, 2011, 12:56:36 pm »

dimple cups dont give food, booze, or clothing.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: August 02, 2011, 03:47:04 pm »

Finding out that dimple cups don't provide booze or food from a Face Palm thread...
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: August 02, 2011, 04:15:12 pm »

Having planted dimple cups every possible time for some 15 fortresses withouth realizing they dont give booze or food. And then finding out from a facepallm thread...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:01:37 pm by Mobotium »
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: August 02, 2011, 11:21:13 pm »

^ Absolutely hilarious.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4826 on: August 03, 2011, 02:47:37 am »

Yeah, I usually go for "make 3x3 plot for everything, plant everything" ... then find out that my plant stockpiles were taken over by Dimple Cups, Blade Weeds and Hide Roots after few years.

Then it is time to start milling/dyeing operation.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: August 03, 2011, 10:38:17 am »

Building a Convoluted and perfect water system to channel and cleanse the water of toxins should it become contaminated, only to discover my "Aquifer" was the tile under a pond.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

ctone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: August 03, 2011, 11:42:46 am »

Finding out that bridges can be raised and not just retracted. This killed 2 of my forts before I found out.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: August 03, 2011, 12:08:51 pm »

Finding out that drawbridges break when trying to crush a squad of mounted sieger.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 729