Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126605 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6615 on: July 08, 2012, 06:39:24 pm »

Decided to try the "bring ore and fuel instead of finished products" embark strategy to see how well I'd do with it.

Embarked in a decent spot, looked around, assigned a few missing labors, then unpaused so they could get to work.

Only to have an alligator leap out, maul a llama's head (still wounded a year later), try to rip of the left foot of one of the two Farmers, and killed one of my two female dogs before I was able to punch it to death with six dwarves (and two dogs chewing on it).  All on the 1st of Granite.

A normal embark, I would have had four weapons to use on it.  Instead, I have to resort to an unarmed mob to try and bring it down.  I've no idea how I managed to get away with so few injuries.

Sure, blame it on the lack of weapons. I remember a guy complaining that he had an alligator kill multiple embarks/reclaims worth of dwarves (and he bought 2-4 armed ones each time, I think).

Aligators are incredibly brutal.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6616 on: July 09, 2012, 04:22:13 am »

Break into caverns
Set up mining operation for slate

Just out of curiousity: why were you mining for slate?
I don't remember. I was probably using it for floors.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: July 09, 2012, 04:23:30 am »

Every time for the last 27 worlds i've generated. not once NOT ONCE have i gotten flux without an aquifer.... argh. Of course my attempts to work through the aquifers result in this as well. I've read all the wiki articles.... still can't get through an aquifer.
I've broken through aquifiers twice using the cave-in method.

Lurking Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: July 09, 2012, 02:52:13 pm »

This is the most effective member of my "military".

>:(

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #6619 on: July 09, 2012, 04:58:34 pm »

In the last days of my fortress i was messing around with mass pitting of caged prisoners. I was dropping them into a hole so they got softend up then letting my dwarves finish them for fun.

I had a healthy dwarf pounding on the skull of an unconcious troll with a bronze flail "bruising the fat" until the dwarf collapsed from exhaustion. Then woke up and resumed the pounding until exhausted again. This cycle repeated for a while.

Also giant birds are bad-ass. I had this troublesome goblin pikeman that killed several dwarves and war animals. It had moved on to murdering some human traders, a pet cougar of mine came up behind it and clawed it in the head but couldn't get through the helm.

Then a giant pet loverbird waltzed up, put the goblins arm in a lock, broke it, then proceeded to beat it to death. it was epic.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: July 09, 2012, 06:49:32 pm »

Decided to try the "bring ore and fuel instead of finished products" embark strategy to see how well I'd do with it.

Embarked in a decent spot, looked around, assigned a few missing labors, then unpaused so they could get to work.

Only to have an alligator leap out, maul a llama's head (still wounded a year later), try to rip of the left foot of one of the two Farmers, and killed one of my two female dogs before I was able to punch it to death with six dwarves (and two dogs chewing on it).  All on the 1st of Granite.

A normal embark, I would have had four weapons to use on it.  Instead, I have to resort to an unarmed mob to try and bring it down.  I've no idea how I managed to get away with so few injuries.

Sure, blame it on the lack of weapons. I remember a guy complaining that he had an alligator kill multiple embarks/reclaims worth of dwarves (and he bought 2-4 armed ones each time, I think).
Oh, I'm blaming myself, not the alligator.  He was just stopping in to see if we had any lunch for him.  I'm the idiot dwarf that though embarking with the materials to make needed tools (weapons are tools) instead of the tools themselves was a good plan for Untamed Wilds. :D

The fort has just started its third year (embark 1 Gr 1001, and its now Granite 1003) and things are much better now.  I haven't run into another 'gator, but lots of kea men, giant ravens, etc.  I've even managed to imprison my vampire after only a single lost woodcutter (a low skill one, out of six, at that) because I forgot to see about sequestering her earlier.  She apparently earned 200 days in prison due to the murder, but I don't plan to remove the iron bars from her cell any time soon.  :o  :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

LordRandomness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: July 11, 2012, 01:04:05 am »

Well, I was attempting to channel a cavern lake into the magma sea to surround a super-fun ore vein I happened to find there so I could mine it out. This scheme encountered several problems:

- First attempt: Channel a single hole over the sea. Result: Hole immediately plugs with obsidian, nothing else happens.
- Second attempt: Accidentally mistake "7/7 water" for "the tile above 7/7 water" and immediately dig into it. Result: flooding of my stairwell. Fortunately I had the foresight to have the stairwell a decent distance from the fort proper, so I was able to construct a wall before anything flooded.
- Still during the second attempt: Discovered that you don't actually need an up staircase on a given level to allow water to flow up from that level due to pressure. Result: second stairwell attempt, due to being dug entirely of up/down staircases, contacts a flooded area and starts taking on water as well.
- Third attempt: Channel out multiple bits of the floor above the magma sea, then flood the channeling chamber with water. Result: Water occasionally spreads diagonally, leading to obsidian being generated and immediately caving in. This messes up the whole casting process by flinging magma up to the level above, creating obsidian plugs that prevented the tile below them being properly solidified. This then cost me several pieces of super happy fun time ore thanks to them still being adjacent to magma.
- Still during the third attempt: The miner that poked a hole in the caverns decided that the best way to flee the ensuing flood was UP THE STAIRS, INTO THE CAVERN LAKE. He immediately began drowning, but miraculously stopped when enough water was drained from the lake. He even managed to make it ashore!

An unrelated mishap occurred when I was trying to build a magma pump for one of the sea's pipes: magma crab shot the worker, who instead of fleeing decided to stand there and get pelted. When he finally dodged one? Boom, straight into the magma.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: July 11, 2012, 09:07:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wow. Epic dwarfiness!

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: July 11, 2012, 10:04:56 pm »

I made a miscalculation while channeling my moat that would have been filled using the ocean waves. It ended up flooding my entire fortress through my farms from the bottom up because Urist McMason was too busy making thrones and staring at the staircase waterfall to build the fucking wall.  >:(
Nothing reminds me more of that scene from American Dad where the firemen are too busy staring at the fireworks to put out a burning house.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:07:43 pm by AlexaiZ »
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: July 12, 2012, 07:19:25 am »

I'm planning to obsidianize the magma around a candy spire. There are no traps in the deepest levels, since my defences I'm building there assume trapavoid creatures. I dug a large room, with downward staircases on the tiles above the magma. I haven't hooked up the water supply yet. A fire imp came up and the first I knew of it was a hauler cancelling a job in the staircase between the top fort and the forges. Facepalm!

I ordered my military to attack it, and they just stood around saying they couldn't path to a valid target. There's definitely a clear path, but apparently dwarfs can't path into smoke tiles. I discovered that little fact, when the imp reached the top level caverns and a !!marksdwarf!! who got toasted just stood in the fire tile ignoring any orders to move away.

Overall I lost two cats, two haulers, the marksdwarf and an axelord who dealt the imp a killing blow without getting caught in the flames but then dropped dead on the walk up to the top fort.

The fort is now on the edge of a tantrum spiral. Having a corpse burn away to nothing apparently counts as decaying as far as bad thoughts are concerned. The last time things got bad, the axedwarf - the one who died this time - tore a cat apart with his bare hands and punched a speardwarf's brains out.

DrunkenCaveOgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6625 on: July 12, 2012, 02:19:10 pm »

[/URL]
[/img]

Just realized I didnt tame these guys before I abandoned

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: July 12, 2012, 02:41:50 pm »

This is the most effective member of my "military".

>:(
Who won?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: July 12, 2012, 10:34:52 pm »

I'm guessing the baby.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: July 12, 2012, 10:36:01 pm »

Badass baby.

Ironlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: July 13, 2012, 01:24:18 am »

Degel Talulolin Draws setches of:  Skeletons, Shining Bars of Metal, Cut Gems. 

...(a little while later)...

"Degel Talulolin, Smith has created Dezremothlest, a nickel crutch!"

::)

Not as amusing as a civilization named "The Syrup of Man".   I daresay that's almost naughty. 
Other monsters crowded around me, continually attacking.  I treated them politely, offering the edge of my razor-sharp sword; but the feast, I think, did not please them.
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 729