Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126683 times)

cvaneseltine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8730 on: August 14, 2014, 11:32:21 pm »

He may eat one of his constituents every three months, but you can't ague with his "Free Hot Cinnamon Rolls For All Dwarves" political platform.

Truth is, as long as he kept taking out kids in the privacy of their bedrooms, I had no problem with it.

Then he decided to snack on the unconscious fisherdwarf in the middle of the hallway, in front of eight witnesses. It was a bit egregious.

He's still the militia commander, but he's in jail. A walled-up jail.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8731 on: August 15, 2014, 02:18:10 am »

+quartzite statue of Commander Dumat Stokednumbers+
This is a finely-crafted quartzite statue of Commander Dumat Stokednumbers the dwarf and dwarves in quartzite by Miner Ushat Kanzuntir. Commander Dumat Stokednumbers is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the appointment of the dwarf vampire Commander Dumat Stokednumbers to the position of militia commander of The Blue Lance in the early summer of 251.

...you KNEW?  You knew and you elected him ANYWAY?

facepalm.

Sorry mate, but YOU appointed him. The dwarves merely gather around these appointed nobles to see if there's free beer (or the above mentioned cinnamon rolls)...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8732 on: August 15, 2014, 08:38:42 am »

Couple of forts ago...

Military embark.  1 pick, plenty of coal/iron/flux, no food, 2 silver ore, 1 stone, and 1 coke.
No skills for the dwarfs.

Get setup, draft the two dwarfs into an active squad, ready to begin making the two full sets of steel armor my early military would need, when it hits me...
Anvil...

Resign myself to waiting for the first caravan.  Set my dwarfs to task.
Make axe out of wood.  Chop trees.
Set plant stockpile.  Gather plants.
Set wood stockpile.  Make pots/spiked balls for trade.

Forget that not only am I in an Untamed Wilderness biome, but my untrained, unarmed, unarmored military dwarfs are still active.
Find the first corpse dead, in the south.  Second to the northeast.  Down two dwarfs who took it upon themselves to chase down and beat up a Giant Tick. 

I press on...

Had designated the entire fortress by hand, leaving my miner to get to work on it.  Dining halls, workroom, tower-based bedrooms, grand entrance hall, two farm levels (one above-ground, one below).  Didn't realize anything is wrong until the "Urist McDirtDigger has been missing for one week" message.

I had used ramps throughout the design, and made him dig out the adjacent walls as well...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:51:09 am by RocheLimit »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8733 on: August 15, 2014, 10:20:22 am »

Just had a gob invasion in the first spring of the second year.  Defenses weren't even close to ready and my crew of military personell had just stated training.  The goblins charge the fort... see the dead werebeast corpse in the bottom of the river, the siege breaks, and they flee.

Worst goblin invasion.  Ever.

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8734 on: August 15, 2014, 05:33:13 pm »

Just had a gob invasion in the first spring of the second year.  Defenses weren't even close to ready and my crew of military personell had just stated training.  The goblins charge the fort... see the dead werebeast corpse in the bottom of the river, the siege breaks, and they flee.

Traditionally dead bodies impaled and put on display for ones rivals was a method to deterr attackers.. Looks like this method is alive and well in dwarf fortress now : )

int_ua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8735 on: August 15, 2014, 06:13:22 pm »

Have anyone seen goblin recruits fight with each other [after killing a kobold that was running away]?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8736 on: August 15, 2014, 06:31:08 pm »

Traditionally dead bodies impaled and put on display for ones rivals was a method to deterr attackers.. Looks like this method is alive and well in dwarf fortress now : )

Actually, with the way discipline works right now, it would be viable to sprinkle corpses around in tactical locations to keep invaders away.

Now... to figure out if I can weaponize it somehow.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8737 on: August 15, 2014, 07:46:19 pm »

Actually, with the way discipline works right now, it would be viable to sprinkle corpses around in tactical locations to keep invaders away.

Now... to figure out if I can weaponize it somehow.

Just put the corpse behind a door or gate and a fortification. Then you can reveal it to the enemy at will. Bonus points if you get them frozen in terror between a few sets and kill them with siege weapons.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8738 on: August 16, 2014, 02:54:14 pm »

I'm working on fine-tuning a chute into magma for corpse disposal, I'd started with a stair shaft down 8 levels, then fortifications dug into Lava.  Problem is, contrary to what I'd read, stuff thrown onto the stairs tended to land on the stairs instead of falling down into the lava.

So I dig a stair-shaft down next to the pit and order the stairs over the lava channeled out.

Checking on progress a bit later, I find a steel pick in the lava.

No bet on where the miner stood when he dug that channel.

//Torrenal

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8739 on: August 16, 2014, 03:26:08 pm »

Started building a large pump setup to help dam a river, just before I put the last pump in, winter sets in and the river freezes... all those machines built and all I needed to do was wait for the freeze

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8740 on: August 17, 2014, 02:30:51 am »

THe elves came, and offered their quota of 100 trees.

One Hundread.

I'm inclined to try finding 100 trees to cut down before their next visit - might not be possible  :P
Nor would I know what to do with all the wood.

//Torrenal

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8741 on: August 17, 2014, 05:56:12 am »

Spend literally an hour and a half planning out super extreme awesome fort layout including elaborate defense systems... Dig out 3 tiles of it and AQUIFER!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8742 on: August 17, 2014, 07:06:56 am »

That right there is why I nuke aquifers as soon as I download the game.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8743 on: August 17, 2014, 09:18:29 am »

That right there is why I nuke aquifers as soon as I download the game.

If you take their existence into account before building a fort, they can be very useful. Otherwise, they are annoying.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8744 on: August 17, 2014, 02:10:43 pm »

My problem has been the bedrooms...

About half the time, after I designate my first set of 20 bedrooms for digging, it's interrupted half way in with a cavern discovery.   I've since taken to sneaking in a few extra levels before the first cavern layer.

//Torrenal
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 729