Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126525 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8790 on: September 01, 2014, 10:58:10 am »

Second ever fort. Great starting location. Optimized starting goods as much as possible.

Embarked, started designating the initial fort set up. Dismantled wagon and used logs for couple of workshops. Everyone busy...

Wait. Woodcutter is idle. I have designated a whole bunch of trees for cutting down, and Urist McWoodsdwarf is standing around doing naff all.

WHY????

Oh, hold on... Apparently, I needed one of those axes that I had removed from the embark list in favour of other stuff.

Damn it!
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8791 on: September 01, 2014, 11:43:07 am »

Second ever fort. Great starting location. Optimized starting goods as much as possible.

Embarked, started designating the initial fort set up. Dismantled wagon and used logs for couple of workshops. Everyone busy...

Wait. Woodcutter is idle. I have designated a whole bunch of trees for cutting down, and Urist McWoodsdwarf is standing around doing naff all.

WHY????

Oh, hold on... Apparently, I needed one of those axes that I had removed from the embark list in favour of other stuff.

Damn it!

You may or may not know this, but you can save a ton of embark points by bringing a few logs with you instead of the axes.  You use 1 log to build a carpentry shop, and then build 1 or 2 wooden axes.  They work every bit as good as metal ones for felling trees.  That will free up 60 points on embark for you.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8792 on: September 01, 2014, 12:54:08 pm »

So I updated my mods for 40.10.  All that is left is the items.

So I tested out my creautres, including the ones put up on DFFD.

I tested out the caccodemons, and it went well at first.  Then the very first caccodemon got kicked him in the head by an untrained dwarf and bruised his brain.

And I thought we made skulls thicker?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8793 on: September 01, 2014, 02:54:41 pm »

Before I started my latest fort I added a few minor reactions to allow for a little doctor training, some with a low chance to return some of the cloth/thread used as reagents in the reaction.

A few runs of the reaction later, with a significant amount of oddly focused cloth hauling, and I realize I might have made a mistake with the reactions products.

So now my fort has 10000 Wool Cloth and a Doctor with some seriously Legendary Suturing skills...

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8794 on: September 02, 2014, 05:51:56 pm »

My small volcano fort saw an engineering upgrade in form of bar and ore stockpile autoquantumization (which I like a lot). This time I decided to test a new theory by making a one-stop route directly atop the dumping stop. A dorf brings the hematite boulder, shoves it into the cart, it tilts and the boulder is dumped, surprisingly it worked.

Until the mining operations hit a minor pause. Which spiked the workload, and three boulders happened to be put in together. That somehow increased the momentum from a shove to high enough for the cart to skip the stop and slam into the opposite wall, obviously through the smelter the stockpile was feeding, making the furnace operator dodge it. Time after time. That was genuinely funny to watch. Then he dodged to the wrong side, fell through a hole and took a dive straight for the planet core. I laughed. I need a new operator now.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8795 on: September 03, 2014, 01:00:54 am »

My small volcano fort saw an engineering upgrade in form of bar and ore stockpile autoquantumization (which I like a lot). This time I decided to test a new theory by making a one-stop route directly atop the dumping stop. A dorf brings the hematite boulder, shoves it into the cart, it tilts and the boulder is dumped, surprisingly it worked.

Until the mining operations hit a minor pause. Which spiked the workload, and three boulders happened to be put in together. That somehow increased the momentum from a shove to high enough for the cart to skip the stop and slam into the opposite wall, obviously through the smelter the stockpile was feeding, making the furnace operator dodge it. Time after time. That was genuinely funny to watch. Then he dodged to the wrong side, fell through a hole and took a dive straight for the planet core. I laughed. I need a new operator now.

Usually a good idea to cover it up with a corner of the workshop.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8796 on: September 03, 2014, 01:24:10 am »

I decided to use a "release the hounds!" style defence, with cages full of dogs, giant and normal dingoes and wolves, plus some random snakes. This worked once or twice, but the last time I tried it, a giant dingo decided to go rogue and attack his fellow canines. There was a canine-loyalty cascade in all the dogs in that area. I'm not even sure how that worked.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8797 on: September 03, 2014, 01:33:42 am »

I decided to use a "release the hounds!" style defence, with cages full of dogs, giant and normal dingoes and wolves, plus some random snakes. This worked once or twice, but the last time I tried it, a giant dingo decided to go rogue and attack his fellow canines. There was a canine-loyalty cascade in all the dogs in that area. I'm not even sure how that worked.

Seriously?

Might want to post that up as a bug report.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8798 on: September 03, 2014, 01:55:50 am »

I think it may be a similar bug to the dwarves attacking each other in combat. I'll report it sometime, if anyone else can replicate it. Replication constitutes a bug, right?
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8799 on: September 03, 2014, 11:05:33 am »

Building a pump stack to fill a cistern for forges/smelters, then engraving the entire thing as "I'm never going to drain it, so I should get that done now" using two lvl 20 engravers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Almost lost one of them due to instant 0 happiness.

Up to that point I never knew magma could be considered 'Impertinent' or that it would smooth engraved stone.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8800 on: September 04, 2014, 12:45:48 pm »

I had a minotaur with a single combat report of 4 strangulations for about an entire season so I lifted the civilian alert thinking he was broken somehow. Sure enough someone walked straight up to the minotaur to pick up the corpse he was stuck stranguling and attempted to run while hauling a corpse. The minotaur was not pleased with me interrupting his corpse strangulation and proceeded to rampage on everyone outside. While the corpse gathering was going on I was going to gather all my troops near my entrance to deal with the minotaur. When he started to rampage I tried cancelling the previous station order with an order to remain in the tower. The archers continued pathing towards my entrance rather than double back. Now the minotaur is tearing apart woefully under equipped squishies and people inside are starting to tantrum. A soldier finally came along and placed his warhammer firmly in the minotaur's head.

I'm not on 40.10 yet, but was laughing and had to share. I just had a Minotaurshow up and catch the one poor Suturer outside the fortress. It should have been a one head-twist half-step pause before the fortress would have been thankful for the line of cage traps in front of the entrance. But what actually happens is the first attack of the Minotaur is to grab the Suturer by the (llama wool shoe) with her left hand, and it evidently came off, because the Minotaur has now been ineffectively beating the Suturer with it for a month.

I could be in trouble when the Elfs want to trade....

Already the 2nd single-minded minotaur story, love it.

Usually a good idea to cover it up with a corner of the workshop.

Vyro: You should've just removed all the push commands to begin with, they're not used on minecart auto-quantum stockpilers.
Borge: I think you mean with an impassable tile of the workshop. Which definitely isn't a corner on all magma workshops, iirc forgers had the left+right middle tiles as impassable (darker green ones when you're placing it).

So far my biggest facepalm in 40.x is bringing bituminous coal for some easy initial forge-work, but no anvil.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8801 on: September 04, 2014, 05:13:47 pm »

... I just embarked on a great site... But I forgot I'd gotten rid of my copper picks by accident... So now I'm stuck with an anvil, a bunch of cassiserite ore to make bronze, some jet blocks for a quick smelter-forge setup..... And no way to dig for the first 3/4's of the year. So I guess it's time for a wooden palisade... >.>

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8802 on: September 04, 2014, 07:53:46 pm »

I just generated my last three worlds with 100000 minerals when I intended to use 100. Then I wondered why the sites were so barren, and even on embark I couldn't get many metals or stones.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8803 on: September 04, 2014, 09:46:13 pm »

built a well directly over a built reservoir... and forgot about water pressure....

now water is spilling into my fortress and everyone is cancelling work because they're afraid of getting their feet wet...

whoops

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8804 on: September 05, 2014, 04:59:41 pm »

Yeah, I've had that experience before. Dig the channel for the well and discover that it's an artesian well. Oops.

I've gotten in the habit of having my cisterns fill through a diagonal pressure relief, and one level below the top of the cistern, so the top level never fills. It has slopes along one side going down into the water so dwarves can fish and bathe. It's an extra level of channelling, but it keeps things quite safe.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 729