How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270330 times)

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #300 on: August 31, 2009, 06:00:38 am »

* could not download that HEAD file
* quitting DF kills my X

Not sure what you would need to debug this. As this should never happen (an app shouldn't be kill X when crashing), it is probably an OS problem.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d15
« Reply #301 on: August 31, 2009, 06:04:20 am »

40d11 does work perfectly but i wish it was faster however i do not believe d14-15 will work properly with vista. it freezes randomly closes and wont resize. i cant printscreen it so i will diagram the window.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

its a green window with tab preview while i tab.

out of curiosity could you make a version without screen resizing but with everthing else (possibly exempting zoom too) so i can see if that's the case?
No.. no, I can't. It's too woven in.

However, does it still work badly with black_space on? I may have, uh, forgotten to test with it off.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 31, 2009, 06:04:48 am »

Just tried 40d16..

At first, it didn't run. Did show up in task manager though, dwarffortress.exe using 45% of a core.

Changing [WINDOWED:PROMPT] to [WINDOWED:YES] or [WINDOWED:NO] both solved this problem.
So it seems the problem here is associated only with the prompt. I'm not a programmer, but could it be that you start up your graphics engine too soon, maybe the prompt needs basic windows something? (Just an uneducated guess)

It runs fine for the rest, although I have no speed improvements compared to original 40d. No speed loss either though.

I warmly applaud for the zoom function.  :)

Only one thing: [BLACKSPACE:YES] no longer works. I tried fiddling with the resolutions, but no matter what I try, I get those ugly stretched tiles. How can I get my blackspace bars back so my rooms are square again? (I don't use grapchics packs. My monitor is 1280x800)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 31, 2009, 06:14:32 am »

* quitting DF kills my X

Probably related to intel driver.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 31, 2009, 06:41:27 am »

Martinuzz:

The GL engine is not started until after you click yes/no, so that's not it. Interesting that the message box wouldn't show up, though; it uses some very basic windows functions. I'll take a look at that code again.

Also, please post your complete init.txt.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 31, 2009, 06:56:49 am »

Didn't change anything below that.. On other note, setting [SINGLE_BUFFER:NO] causes bad screen flickering.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 31, 2009, 07:29:40 am »

Ah.. are you sure it isn't working?

The 800x600 font is not a square font. In fact, it's about as far from square as you get; it's got a 2.4 aspect ratio.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 31, 2009, 11:37:50 am »

after quite a bit of fiddling around and a reminder that zoom now works i can play d16 :)
Back to Mafia with me!

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 31, 2009, 11:39:42 am »

My apologies for not getting to any fixes or improvments this time around.  The only thing on my bug list was a crash that I could never replicate.  I will be testing for it again with D15.  The only improvment that is on my list as being required is closing the multi-macro infinite loop condition.

Regarding the Mac issue with Backspace, I didn't add Delete to the default a while ago because I figured at some point we would be able to cursor around in the notes, inserting and deleting characters in the middle.  If we get to that point we will want to have distinct backspace and delete keys.

The other reported matter was using Shift+Add for SecondScroll PGDN.  This again is something I can not set the defaults to handle.  The defaults have to use the Unicode translation on + for the SecondScroll Down.  The Shift+Add key combination maps to the same as + through the Unicode translation.  The bindings can be remapped to make the required distinctions, but doing so becomes more keyboard specific then the defaults can be.
Are there plans to add conditionals and loops to the macro function. Will this need to wait till the next release/Toady's approval?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 31, 2009, 12:13:56 pm »

I can't figure out what the difference between zoom methods 1 and 2 is, nor how I'm supposed to tell which one I'm using (I don't see anything change when I click the middle mouse button). Could somebody add an entry to the DF wiki or something?

I believe (based on limited experience with d13) that one mode changes the number of tiles in the grid, while the other actually zooms in on the grid. You can tell the difference as the first has the grey border around at all times, and the menu on the left gets longer as you "zoom out".

(P.S. Firefox spell check doesn't recognize grey)

Also,
- 800x600 tileset looking squashed. Fixed by having toady double its height. 1:1 aspect ratio is the only one supported now, and probably always.

Why'd you do that?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:18:18 pm by Sizik »
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 31, 2009, 12:16:17 pm »

Ah.. are you sure it isn't working?

The 800x600 font is not a square font. In fact, it's about as far from square as you get; it's got a 2.4 aspect ratio.

Quite absolutely sure. With normal DF, I use these settings:

[FULLSCREENX:800]
[FULLSCREENY:600]
[FULLFONT:curses_800x600.bmp]

and

[FULLGRID:80:40]

also, [BLACK_SPACE:YES]

I get no stretched tiles that way, and rooms are square when they should be

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 31, 2009, 12:23:30 pm »

I see.  ::)

The fact of the matter is, the 800x600 font is meant to be 80x25 at 800x600. When you told DF to use 80x40, you were in fact stretching it. Well, compressing it.

May I suggest you use an actual square font if you want square tiles?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 31, 2009, 12:40:42 pm »

Uhmm. Before there was an init option to set grid size, I just used [BLACK_SPACE:YES] with the 800x600 bmp.
BLACK_SPACE is what stretches / compresses the font..

The only difference that [FULLGRID:80:40] makes from the standard [80:25] that is that it removes the blackspace bars above and below, to show more of the play area in one screen.

But well.. If that's not possible in this version, I could download a square font.. Unless that means I will have to start using grapchics packs, which I don't want. I like the ASCII.

Where can I get a square font?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #313 on: August 31, 2009, 12:43:57 pm »

<3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 31, 2009, 12:59:22 pm »

Thanks!
Woohoo square rooms..
One thing however.. I took the 16x16 herrbdog font, but now I see gridlines, and walls are no longer continuous, but segmented.
Is that supposed to look like that?

Edit: I kinda like the dwarves with funny Chinese hats

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 64