Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22

Author Topic: Conservative Crime Squad  (Read 49302 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Conservative Crime Squad
« Reply #255 on: January 31, 2010, 12:16:39 am »

To be fair, even LCS seems to acknowledge that in an Arch-Conservative society, racial inequality wouldn't be mandated by law, but rather a result of society acting without affirmative action.

Thus:
Civil Rights would be renamed "Employment Regulations" with the following:
C+: Employers can hire those employees best qualified for the job
L+: Crackheads are given priority over honest Americans because they're "disabled"

For the C+, of course we all know this isn't how it would really work, but that's the party line.  For L+, there is a King of The Hill episode about just this situation.

Freedom of religion would probably be keep its name, but be phrased thusly:
C+: People of all religions are able to pray and organize wherever they want
L+: Acknowleging religion/diety/prayer in public is a felony

Again, the government under C+ doesn't stifle individual freedom to religion, it's the fault of the society that such discretion breeds that does so.

I'd suggest basing the death penalty in the Arch-Conservative paradise on pre-1970's Death Penalty usage (it was in the 1970's that the death penalty was restricted to crimes ending in victim death), where it is used in the case of violent felonies (including robbery).  Thus, I'd agree with the previous post about it not extending to every infraction of the law.

For programming purposes, I'd suggest that at C+ death penalty, that it is only applied when the CCS member's prison term exceeds one year.  Maybe even longer.  From my experience in starting the game in a C+ paradise, death penalty for everything only reinforces why such a system is stupid: If vandalism nets me the death sentence, why don't I just kill someone to make my point?  Just like the final result of LCS, the result of CCS has to be vaguely believable.

Necaladun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2010, 03:51:41 am »

L+: Crackheads are given priority over honest Americans because they're "disabled"
I really like the wording there.

I'd suggest basing the death penalty in the Arch-Conservative paradise on pre-1970's Death Penalty usage (it was in the 1970's that the death penalty was restricted to crimes ending in victim death), where it is used in the case of violent felonies (including robbery).  Thus, I'd agree with the previous post about it not extending to every infraction of the law.
The death penalty is a very big issue, mostly because it affects the player. For every infraction...well, if it's carried out, you'll have a very small population. Unfortunatly, it isn't unrealistic for it to be in place for sodomy, adultery, or witchcraft, or on a racial basis. These have all been used somewhere in the world in the last century. I know sodomy, adultery and witchcraft are still capital offenses in many theocratic type governments.

The other option is:
X Laws: The X Laws keep this country safe from terrorism.
(Repeat ad nauseum)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 31, 2010, 06:52:38 am »

Another thing to consider...actual gameplay. Arch Conservative laws that make the game more difficult will be useful to keep gameplay fun and interesting as you go.

The "optional but mandatory 50% church tithe" becomes a gameplay mechanic. Once the CCS reaches C++ for that issue, they are hounded by the church for the tithe.

"Death squads" offer something similar. At C++ death squads wander the streets and attack the squad for having old model rifles instead of shiny new ones. That sort of thing.

Platonic male on male contact being a crime makes people who carry wounded from failed site actions acquire anotehr felony.

The only penalty for any crime being execution (how dare you chew gum, time to die) once again, makes the later stages of the game more difficult.

Etc.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2010, 01:39:55 pm »

To be fair, even LCS seems to acknowledge that in an Arch-Conservative society, racial inequality wouldn't be mandated by law, but rather a result of society acting without affirmative action.

Thus:

For the C+, of course we all know this isn't how it would really work, but that's the party line.  For L+, there is a King of The Hill episode about just this situation.

Freedom of religion would probably be keep its name, but be phrased thusly:
C+: People of all religions are able to pray and organize wherever they want
L+: Acknowleging religion/diety/prayer in public is a felony

Again, the government under C+ doesn't stifle individual freedom to religion, it's the fault of the society that such discretion breeds that does so.

For programming purposes, I'd suggest that at C+ death penalty, that it is only applied when the CCS member's prison term exceeds one year.  Maybe even longer.  From my experience in starting the game in a C+ paradise, death penalty for everything only reinforces why such a system is stupid: If vandalism nets me the death sentence, why don't I just kill someone to make my point?  Just like the final result of LCS, the result of CCS has to be vaguely believable.

you're right, L+ needs to be a dystopia and C+ needs to be a fairly nice place to be.

I can't think of a funny way to phrase it, but one thing I hear complaints about from conservatives is that men aren't allowed to be real men and women aren't allowed to be real women.

C+ hardworking americans get what they earn.
L+ lazy welfare queens get rich off of other people money.

freedom of speech
C+ Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.
L+ (I can't think of a good way to phrase "anti hate speech legislation" that sounds right)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:55:25 pm by winner »
The great game of Warlocks!

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 04, 2010, 02:30:07 am »

I don't think it needs to so wacky and extreme. It ruins your suspension of disbelief since stuff like "not wearing 3 flags is punishable by death" is just silly.

Something like "American Flags are given more legal rights then citizens." is better, imo, since burning a flag could be punishable by death while shooting a homeless guy (unless they are a veteran!) could be punishable by a fine and community service.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 04, 2010, 04:22:24 pm »

Winner's got the right idea on the laws.

For the freedom of speech, we need simply look at foreign countries for Liberal infringement.  The term "political correctness" describes the trend in the 1990's to avoid saying thing in a way that would offend certain groups, extending the groups that could be offended past race and gender to encompass, at it's worst, everybody and anybody.  And then society fought back with South Park and related shows.

L+: Any insult of another is a crime.

Women's rights is a difficult issue to explain the Conservative Viewpoint.  While we can easily see how other countries deprive women not only of the right to work and vote, but of the very basic rights of survival, I doubt the United States of today could shift to such a condition being mandated by law.  Isn't one of the stars of the Arch-Conservative movement a woman?  (Palin) But, the Conservative Cause might be willing to remove many safeguards that protect women, in the fight for "equality".  But, since the "Employment Regulations" pretty much extend to the issue of women in the workforce, perhaps we can discuss the issue of "Sexual Harassment".  Personally, I think we need all the regulations currently on the books, but extend those regulations too far and you can see obvious problems.

Workplace Dating Rights:
C+: Employees are free to flirt, date, and marry.
L+: Looking at coworkers of the opposite sex is a felony/grounds for termination.

Edit: The major downfall of not having the CCS go all out for oppressing women is the loss of satirical value that would otherwise be gained by having female recruits fighting for the dehumanisation of women.  It's really a decision of whether the CCS game should go back to the roots of LCS of absurdity, or adopt the current inclination of the LCS with subtle satire.  It will probably fall upon the team that actually starts work on CCS to decide on the optimum balance.

Conservative Swine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 04, 2010, 06:23:41 pm »

What if the "Conservatives" try to install a Monarch or create a Presidential Dictatorship?

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 04, 2010, 11:08:05 pm »

What if the "Conservatives" try to install a Monarch or create a Presidential Dictatorship?
American conservatives would find that unthinkable to support. That doesn't stop them from wishing it when they're in power.

list to keep them compiled
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

another good link for material
http://www.closecombattraining.com/cctraining/startg.php?gclid=CODltrim2p8CFSEbawodeG34HA
a wonderful excerpt
Warning do not read this if you have moral ethical or religious reasons forcing you to cower helplessly while someone attacks you, your wife, or your kids
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:35:31 pm by winner »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 04, 2010, 11:13:02 pm »

In the losing condition of LCS where the Arch-Conservatives win, the president is crowned king, BUT in name only, with his title not being transfered upon death, and the Corporations essentially creating an Oligarchy to rule the country.

My thoughts are that it would go back to the tone that the future developers of CCS are pursuing.  In real life, I doubt even the Arch-Conservatives would want a dictatorship.  But it would be funny.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #264 on: February 05, 2010, 01:30:18 am »

Edit: The major downfall of not having the CCS go all out for oppressing women is the loss of satirical value that would otherwise be gained by having female recruits fighting for the dehumanisation of women.  It's really a decision of whether the CCS game should go back to the roots of LCS of absurdity, or adopt the current inclination of the LCS with subtle satire.  It will probably fall upon the team that actually starts work on CCS to decide on the optimum balance.

Did LCS ever have an absurd Liberal Agenda? I adjusted some of the wording on a few of the laws, but I don't think I toned them down. The only really substantive change I remember making was Animal Rights, and that was to make it more silly in order to justify a game mechanic.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 05, 2010, 02:17:43 pm »

Good point.  It was like 3-4 years ago when last I played Toady's versions.

Conservative Swine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 05, 2010, 05:11:53 pm »

American conservatives would find that unthinkable to support.

I know. That's why I put Conservative in quotation marks. If the game took place in Europe, real life Con's might actually want that.
That doesn't stop them from wishing it when they're in power.
I've never wished for King Bush or McCain. They were bad enough as President and Senator.

Did LCS ever have an absurd Liberal Agenda?
It's at least as absurd as the real life Liberal Agenda. :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:17:05 pm by Conservative Swine »

Necaladun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 05, 2010, 09:03:33 pm »

The issue's themselves, whether L+ or C+, from the CCS or LCS point of view, will always have some disagreement. I myself am extremely left wing, but support nuclear power, animal testing (And animals being treated like animals in general), global warming skepticism (not denial), and the right/responsibility to offend others with my views. This goes against the views of a hell of a lot of the naive hippy scum I know.

However, the L+ issues for nuclear power, animal testing, free speech, etc, I agree with being the way they are in the game. Even though they don't fit into my views, they are the view of most of the left wing. It seems especially hard to see in the US, where voting with the party isn't required. To confuse matters even more, the most right wing party (who have a decent number of seats) here is the Australian Liberal Party.

Plenty of conservatives seemed very annoyed about Palin, but she still is representative of C+ in many ways. A lot of political spectrum's I've seen have divided left/right wing and liberal/authoritarian.

So, to actually get around to my point:

Many American Conservatives have liberal views it seems (Gun ownership, for instance).
C+ seems right+authoritarian, and L+ seems Left+Liberal, for the most part. Dividing it four ways goes against the black and white spirit of the game. Does this agree with people's view of the game/issue divisions?

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 06, 2010, 01:07:49 am »

That doesn't stop them from wishing it when they're in power.
I've never wished for King Bush or McCain. They were bad enough as President and Senator.
it doesn't have to do with either right or left wing but a lot of problems wouldn't come up if people who had my type of views were permanently in power.

apparently you don't actually need closing quotes html just assumes them
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:40:51 am by winner »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2010, 07:55:12 pm »

Listening to Rush Limbaugh is pretty entertaining... especially after putting some time into LCS...

I think his radio thing's 'trademark' is "We allow people who disagree get on air and say their piece."

What that really means is "We screen the Liberals calling to put Rush down.  The smarter Liberals will never get on air, but the dumber ones, who havn't done any research to what they say and/or those who would just end up insulting Rush get on air."

Either way, Rush makes a lot of Conservative points.  He can be the Conservative Crime Squads mentor figure.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22