Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 49029 times)

Binamrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2009, 02:42:59 pm »

Whenever I strike an ore vein I start digging only rocks belonging to that ore, so that I'll have an empty ore vein left afterwards that I usually engrave and use as a burial chamber for all the dorfs.

Also, I always kill the hammerer nobles and make at least one artificial indoors river in the fortresses that lack one, usually a few stories below the water level. In my most recent fortress, the water went down 16 levels before it got pumped up again. I used a total of 80 pumps.
Also my Captain of the Guard wants a suite but I can't assign him to any object.
Nevermind, turns out her upper body was missing.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2009, 02:56:13 pm »

^Just making sure, you can't grow tower-caps in an artificial river like that, right? I don't suppose so, any more than one would expect cave crocodiles to spawn in it, but it's worth asking.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2009, 02:57:53 pm »

^Just making sure, you can't grow tower-caps in an artificial river like that, right? I don't suppose so, any more than one would expect cave crocodiles to spawn in it, but it's worth asking.

Tower caps and underground flora can only grow if you have uncovered a natural underground river or pool. Once you have 'discovered' this feature however the tower caps and other underground flora will grow anywhere underground where there is water/mud.

Roland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2009, 07:54:14 pm »

Kill the hammerer, consort, and ruling noble. Keep the dungeon keeper and philosopher. Reward any dwarf in military service with a tomb with engraved walls. Engrave everything, obviously. The brewer gets some of the best of everything, along with the chef. Lots and lots of traps. Small "hit squads" composed entirely of Champions.

UndeadLenin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2009, 09:22:18 am »

Everybody gets wars wolves. Sieges are a depressing time for the soldiers.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2009, 02:42:29 pm »

I let elves live on the offchance that they'll bring decent booze. That's pretty eccentric, right?
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2009, 04:43:52 pm »

I let elves live on the offchance that they'll bring decent booze. That's pretty eccentric, right?
I let them live because they might bring awesome aminals, like tigers, eagles, or elephants. Besides, elves haven't actually offended me yet, so I see no reason to slaughter them outright.

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2009, 05:26:30 pm »

Hrm, lesse...

I seem to have this infatuation with great halls, and dining rooms. So I often build enormous main hallways (10+ tiles wide, the biggest running the entire length of the fortress it was in) where I carve nooks in the walls for statues and coffins to be used by rank and file dwarves.

The great dining rooms end up even bigger as I insist on having enough tables and chairs to seat the entire fortress.

I should really stop trying to do these when I only have the initial seven.

Speaking of the initial seven, my initial social/trader dwarf is always given the custom profession of 'Foreman'

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2009, 07:08:49 pm »

I let them live because they might bring awesome aminals, like tigers, eagles, or elephants. Besides, elves haven't actually offended me yet, so I see no reason to slaughter them outright.
My elves have only brought me wolves, alligators, racoons, deer and jaguars. Which is actually impressive, given that my eccentric player behaviour is stopping worldgen the year the first megabeast dies (and they're modded to be stronger as well), so they have barely any towns.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2009, 04:59:58 am »

I play as goblins.

Everybody has a phase where they want to play as humans, and when they want to build giant towering cities.

But who can say that they have a phase where they want to play as goblins?
ME
CONSTANTLY
24/7!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2009, 03:09:57 pm »

I play as goblins.

Everybody has a phase where they want to play as humans, and when they want to build giant towering cities.

But who can say that they have a phase where they want to play as goblins?
ME
CONSTANTLY
24/7!

Heh heh. Do dwarves' constant thirst for alcohol annoy you, too? Do you much prefer a race that eats the bones of their enemies, like me?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2009, 05:42:11 pm »

I like to keep most of my dwarves idle unless they're hauling stuff.  And they haul a lot of stuff because I like to keep all my corridors clear of stone.  That means almost all my dwarves are very tough. 

No fishing and no hunting.  It's a waste of time.  No plump helmets either.  All my food comes from berries grown on the surface and meat from trade caravans.

No cloth industry.  I hate cloth.  I buy up a little in case any of my dwarves get in one of their moods.  I keep my food and my booze in separate stock piles.  Sometimes I separate the meat and plants into separate stockpiles.

After my fortress gets on it's feet I like to replace a lot of my stone furniture with glass furniture.  I make all my statues out of either clear glass or expensive metals like gold, aluminum and platinum.  I import expensive metals when I can't find them and turn them into crafts for great profit.

My army consists of no more an no less than 6 dwarves, usually all marksdwarves.  I keep a max population of 30 to keep things from getting out of hand. 

I guess you could say I've found a good system for creating an orderly, productive fortress.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 03, 2009, 04:44:36 pm »

For some reason I seem to have decided that milkers make good nobles, frankly its not a bad solution, it gives the useless buggers something to do and the more useful dwarves are free to be useful.

That and every army I have must have a lemming squad with no armor and not always with weapons, and often no clothes. Give the goblins a bit of false hope before my heavily armoured champions decide to stop drinking for a few seconds. =D
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 03, 2009, 05:07:22 pm »

I typically end up with 30 or so idlers "on call" for when the caravan comes; one of these usually ends up as my mayor because even my children have goddamn superpowers from learning to talk so well.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 03, 2009, 05:21:48 pm »

I pretend dwarves can't go diagonally; even if it means I'll fit one less bedroom into a tower or something like that I'll never make the only entrance to an area be diagonal (with the sole exception of exploratory mining tunnels).  I also love to make multi-z-level rooms; my current fortress is a city in a 5-z level cavern that covers nearly the entire 4x4 embark.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26