Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4594 4595 [4596] 4597 4598 ... 8158

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8854655 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #68925 on: January 08, 2014, 11:58:51 pm »

I'm sad that I've caught up on that Goblins webcomic someone recommended here a while back.  It's been surprisingly fun and inspirational.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68926 on: January 09, 2014, 12:01:20 am »

I look at culturally conditioned racism (learned behavior, VS instinctual racism) with a kind of wry sympathy.

The poor fools suffer TERRIBLY under the doublethink. I can't really help them though. Overcoming such conditioning is something only they can do. I wish them the best, and continue to spread awareness. The people with learned racism are often victims you see-- they have parents or authority figures that are in the "evil, willfully racist" category, poisoning their minds from a young age.  It should be illegal, but part of having the virtues of freedom of speech and expression, is having the vices that go with it. The price is eternal vigillance.

Allecat:

The basic impulse is the same: "Not like self, shun". Skin color is arbitrary, as is gender, language, hair color, or even how big a nose is.

The underlying mechanism is what I am referring to here. It's basically the same mechanism that makes being uncomfortable around disabled people, or to ignore the homeless, or be sexist. The mechanism is "natural". It, however, is not "acceptable."

Since we seem to be discussing this from the lens of your own anectdotal experiences, instead of more openly as a general observation, let me ask you an enlightened question.

When you were playing "cooties tag", did you approach adults the same way you did other children? 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 12:06:27 am by wierd »

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68927 on: January 09, 2014, 12:16:25 am »

It should be illegal, but part of having the virtues of freedom of speech and expression, is having the vices that go with it.
I don't think it should be illegal to say racist things. I think it should be illegal to act on racist thoughts, (and it already is, to a degree) but I will defend to the death anyone's right to say whatever idiotic crap they can think of with legal impunity. That said, you shouldn't be able to hide behind freedom of speech just so you can say hurtful things. If you're spouting hateful remarks at work, the company should be well within their rights to fire you. If you call a black person the n word or tell a woman to get back in the kitchen, they are well within their rights to chew you out for it. Freedom of speech does not mean the ability to say what you want without consequence, it just means the ability to say whatever you want and not be arrested or fined for it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68928 on: January 09, 2014, 12:20:39 am »

No argument; I was referring specifically to the harm done by telling willfully destructive and false things to children, to purpetuate a cycle of hatred.

The child cannot escape the parent, nor punish them.

It's a different category from 2 adults slinging slurs.

This is an intractible problem. Look at the institutionalized seeds of hate sewn in, eg, religious teachings. (For some doosies, look up jewish levitical rules, or fundementalist shia fatwahs concerning "goyim" and "infidels" respectively-- in christianity, it's about "sinners" and "heathens".) Everything about such teachings is harmful to the current social climate, as they actively create division and disunity. How do we reconcile their right to their beliefs, with beliefs that cause ethnic or religious division of this nature?

That's what I was getting at. The willful continuation of a feature that is known to be deleterious, for the sole purpose of ensuring its purpetuation, as a social identity in the face of the currently emergent one. Do we have the right to strip them of faith, or belief? Do we have the right to not be victims of those faiths or beliefs? How do we reconcile?

Intractible.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 12:28:54 am by wierd »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68929 on: January 09, 2014, 12:22:22 am »

(unrelatedtocurrenttopic)
Apparently I crossed a time zone somewhere and forgot about it. I had planned to go to bed at 9 so I could get a solid six hours of sleep. I was going by my laptop's clock, but if I had checked my phone I would have seen that it was actually 10. Yaaaay 5 hours of sleep :/
(/unrelatedtocurrenttopic)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #68930 on: January 09, 2014, 01:39:25 am »

I will mail you coffee. I will need somebody to ship it, however. I'll ask the only trucker I know.

Hey, Sirus, would you be able to deliver some coffee to Sirus for me?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68931 on: January 09, 2014, 02:19:29 am »

I found out that the manufacturer of my headphones sells replacement cords, yes finally i can use my expensive good quality headph-

Out of Stock.

Dammit.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #68932 on: January 09, 2014, 02:54:19 am »

Nope.

I grew up in Utah with almost 0 racial tensions. I've been in South Carolina for a year but seem to have been mostly insulated from the particularly egregious racists.

Oh.  Step-grandma's a former Nazi living in rural Missouri.
Please be exaggerating...

If you had a relative alive in Europe (regardless of country) during this time, there's a damn big chance they were a Nazi sympathiser, or at the very least agreed with them about Jews and race. This goes for the US too (remember - Nazi Germany's eugenics program was co-funded by American Dollars). It was just how the climate were; the only real difference between Germany it's neighbours was a Hitler to channel all that racism and hate into action. Racism and anti-semitcism only became bad after Nazi Germany had become the Enemy.

It is the great shame of the western world, but t needs to be remembered that that was who our grandparents were and what they thought.

of a minefield, though, since she occasionally sticks her finger in my face and demands to know if I wear makeup.  Or if I died my hair brown, since I was a blond toddler

You'd think she'd know that that's what happens to like 89.3% of all blonde children. Of all the dozens and dozens of blonde children I grew up with I can think of only five that stayed blonde, and one is more of an extremely light reddish colour and two are what I think English calls "dirt blondes". Everyone else grew into different shades of brown.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:59:54 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68933 on: January 09, 2014, 03:18:43 am »

I had blonde-brown hair until I was six months old. It didn't turn brown. It turned jet black.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68934 on: January 09, 2014, 03:31:04 am »

In all my earliest photos I had light brown... Now I have dark brown. Well that was exciting.
Anyway my grandparents came here during world war 2 as refugees. My fathers father was an Austrian jew, and got the fuck out as fast as he could, while my mothers father was Hungarian and didn't agree with their side of the war, so got the fuck out as fast as he could. Look there was a lot of fleeing involved and they figured 'Why not go where nobody even really wants anyway?'

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68935 on: January 09, 2014, 03:40:42 am »

If you had a relative alive in Europe (regardless of country) during this time, there's a damn big chance they were a Nazi sympathiser, or at the very least agreed with them about Jews and race.
Having grown up in Germany with people around who were alive at the time and having talked with plenty more, I can confirm this. The ones most affected in their thinking by Nazi ideology are the ones that grew up during Nazi rule, because they got the full indoctrination in school and (pretty much mandatory) Hitler youth. In the generation roughly born before 1925, ie the generation that actually committed most of the crimes, many people became pretty disillusioned due to experiences during the war. Among people born later, roughly after 1930, the racial indoctrination stuff had a more lasting impact. Not that they are/were all still convinced Nazis, but they seem to know more of the clichéed racial prejudices and have learned how to identify a persons racial purity by the shape of their skull and cheekbones.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:43:40 am by XXSockXX »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #68936 on: January 09, 2014, 03:56:36 am »

I feel like I'm at the computer waaaay too long these days =_=

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68937 on: January 09, 2014, 06:33:24 am »

Worry not, all is well. Stay, and listen to the songs of cyberspace. It is your real home. The net is father. The net is mother. The net is life. Forgo the restrictions of your weak flesh, and transcend it's limitations to become one with our glory.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #68938 on: January 09, 2014, 06:35:15 am »

Worry not, all is well. Stay, and listen to the songs of cyberspace. It is your real home. The net is father. The net is mother. The net is life. Forgo the restrictions of your weak flesh, and transcend it's limitations to become one with our glory.
M A K E  U S  W H O L E  A G A I N
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68939 on: January 09, 2014, 06:35:59 am »

dehumanize yourself and face to 011010010110111001110100011001010111001001101110011001010111010001110011
Pages: 1 ... 4594 4595 [4596] 4597 4598 ... 8158