Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4875 4876 [4877] 4878 4879 ... 8158

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8856777 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #73140 on: April 16, 2014, 04:39:39 pm »

Math is a shallow language. It's good for specific calculations, but it's relative simplicity is also it's greatest limiting factor. By itself, it has no context, meaning it lacks an entire dimension of meaning. 2+2=4, but what does it matter without knowing what is being quantified?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73141 on: April 16, 2014, 04:43:20 pm »

* Descan grabs popcorn for Vectors show.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #73142 on: April 16, 2014, 04:45:10 pm »

* Descan grabs popcorn for Vectors show.
* Furtuka  grabs some too.
It's FEF, not FEOF

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #73143 on: April 16, 2014, 04:48:36 pm »

* Th4DwArfY1 waits expectantly. And, because it's going, grabs some popcorn.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #73144 on: April 16, 2014, 04:51:22 pm »

Math is a shallow language. It's good for specific calculations, but it's relative simplicity is also it's greatest limiting factor. By itself, it has no context, meaning it lacks an entire dimension of meaning. 2+2=4, but what does it matter without knowing what is being quantified?
Mmmmm...foursomes.

What, that wasn't the context? >_>

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73145 on: April 16, 2014, 04:52:24 pm »

Mmmmm...foursomes.

What, that wasn't the context? >_>

Please tell me that's not how you take pleasure from maths... :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #73146 on: April 16, 2014, 05:08:42 pm »

Arithmetic, maybe. If you squint at it a bit.

Math, though, it's as deep and meaningful as anything. It's as much a way to express ideas as English, for sure. 2+2=4 just happens to be an idea about as deep as "The dog crosses the street" - which is to say, people have still found ways to explore and elaborate upon that statement in order to draw out depths you never even imagined were there.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73147 on: April 16, 2014, 05:10:52 pm »

I've yet to see a formula that can draw emotion from me like a poem.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73148 on: April 16, 2014, 05:13:10 pm »

eiπ + 1 = 0
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #73149 on: April 16, 2014, 05:13:48 pm »

Math can be deep and meaningful, but point is, it's not the same. It can describe the basic principals of the universe to those who have studied it, but not everyone can take the time to make the journey into deep math. Whereas many people practice language their whole lives, far fewer make themselves fluent in math.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #73150 on: April 16, 2014, 05:17:46 pm »

That's fair. I've also never seen a form letter that drew emotion from me like a poem, either. Your move :P

Although this guy gets me every time, but I'll concede that might just be my own idiosyncracies. Still, when it comes to being qualified to discuss math, I'm not the best. It's a lot like art to me, in that I like dicking around and sometimes get something nice but I'm not really skilled or familiar with the real terminology and rules that underlie the whole field.

EDIT: VECTOR!

Maximum ninja'd.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:19:19 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #73151 on: April 16, 2014, 05:44:59 pm »

If you think it is likely you will fail, or you doubt the value of SSY(Say Something, she says Yes), it's safer to simply cut your losses with SNY and SNN by merely getting over her. Trust me, this is how my love-life works, I know this stuff.

Trouble is, SN creates a lot of uncertainty, and for at least a few people invites long-term obsession and prolonged, terrible suffering. I had a similar problem not too long ago, and was just about ready to venture into Say Something territory, hoping that I'd get the SSN result and resolve the matter efficiently and effectively, but then realized that the SSY possibility, while remote and desirable at first thought, was nevertheless a possibility, and that I most assuredly couldn't be bothered to deal with it if it came up.

Granted, it's pretty easy to fix the game to most definitely get the SSN result and desired resolution, but that involves making a complete ass of yourself and deliberately sabotaging your love life, and if you're doing that, why even have a love life in the first place?
Well, as I said it doesn't hold for a minority of cases. Indeed that was what happened to me first time I used it, but eventually you adjust. And by adjust, I mean not have a love-life.

Why must everything be reduced to harsh, cold maths?

The human condition is quite incalculable.
If you can't calculate it, you simply need better math. The Universe can be reduced to math, and the human condition is part of the universe. Thus, it can be expressed with math.

Just wait until toady programs his random love-poem generator guys, you'll see. It'll touch you in places you didn't want to be touched.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73152 on: April 16, 2014, 05:58:35 pm »

It'll touch you in places you didn't want to be touched.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73153 on: April 16, 2014, 06:00:58 pm »

-snip-

Hehehehehehhehehe

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

MAHAAEDNJAJFS{OJSKNC:DLFSCDF:L MDF:NEOV E

*Splutters*
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:01:02 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73154 on: April 16, 2014, 06:03:08 pm »

I doubt you look at it and shed a tear.

You're... actually not correct about that.

My textbooks literally have tearstains and blood on their pages.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 4875 4876 [4877] 4878 4879 ... 8158