Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698700 times)

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2550 on: February 21, 2010, 06:35:24 am »

Just did a checkout of the Stonesense SVN. Somehow, it manages to crash the Visual Studio 2008 linker. SVN revision is 680. I couldnt find a bug tracker on the google group so I just post here.

I didnt change anything, just attempted to run a build just after a check out (and running the cmake scripts).

Output:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Solved. I was a bit to literal when reading the compile guide. The allegro folder got a bad name:

Unpack allegro into the stonesense directory
(so you have a stonesense/allegro-mingw-4.2.2 directory)

mingw seems like a bad name when you compile with visual studio.  :D
Ill leave the post here in case anyone searches. If you use Visual Studio 2008, make sure that you have the folder:

stonesense/allegro-msvc80-4.2.2
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:42:36 am by mizipzor »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: February 21, 2010, 06:56:34 am »

actually, the cmake scripts are only needed for MINGW.

for MSVC, you just open the project file that's there.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2552 on: February 21, 2010, 06:59:24 am »

actually, the cmake scripts are only needed for MINGW.

for MSVC, you just open the project file that's there.

...which I totally missed >.< it compiles and runs fine now though so everythings great. :)

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: February 21, 2010, 10:51:46 am »

Any idea how to get this to compile with VC++ 2008 Express? when I try and build it after the convert it fails everytime.
 says something about png.h  not included or missing, or something along those lines only happens omn loadpng.h and uh... regpng.h ... I think.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 11:14:20 am by Kaelem Gaen »

Daimyon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: February 21, 2010, 02:13:58 pm »

Greetings all, I downloaded Stonesense today and- after opening DF and continuing to play, attempted to run SS and got an error.

"The Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click OK to terminate the application."

I've looked around a bit and all I could find regarding the error was OS's not starting up after being shut down before systems updates could be completed. I am using MayDay's tileset and nothing else, mod wise. Any ideas?

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2555 on: February 22, 2010, 03:47:04 pm »

Greetings all, I downloaded Stonesense today and- after opening DF and continuing to play, attempted to run SS and got an error.

"The Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click OK to terminate the application."

I've looked around a bit and all I could find regarding the error was OS's not starting up after being shut down before systems updates could be completed. I am using MayDay's tileset and nothing else, mod wise. Any ideas?

I get the same error (same hexcode) when I compile and run Stonesense from the solution file directly under the root (after its been converted to VS2008 format). Its before the first line in main() is reached so something must have gone terribly wrong. If I compile and run using the cmake scripts however, it works perfectly.

On an entirely separate note, Ive taken the time to import the entire svn repos into github. All metadata is preserved from commits so that proper credit is given. I just dont like the feeling of hacking away without version control. Since it takes quite some time to convert the tree, anyone else wanting git can happyily head over to my github.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: February 22, 2010, 05:05:49 pm »

looking at this again, it should be doable procedurally to mesh things into this sort of order. {[ITEM]->[GRASP/STANCE]/(extermity)->(connections toward body)} in order bottom to top, in back, STANCES before GRASPS
{[LOWERBODY]->[UPPERBODY]->[NECK]->[HEAD]}
{(connections from body)->(extremity)->[ITEM]->[GRASP/STANCE]} for the "front"ward bits.
(bodypart)->(equipment on that bodypart, UNDER->ARMOR->OVER->COVER) unless it has a STEP, in which case draw it after all those bps/equipments it STEPS over.

Shields would not work with it, though, nor would pincer-held items, nor prone/non-upright critters. hmm...shields are easily excepted. Pincers are just where one finds out GRASP parts need separating, and prones/not uprights can just be made to have their body draw order anterior to posterior or vice versa,like we're going distal to proximal or the other way when needed.

If you're trying to come up with draw-order logic that will work on any creature, I don't think that's practical.  People will inevitably come up with a creature for which it doesn't work (or they might just want to use a different stance).

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #2557 on: February 22, 2010, 05:14:05 pm »

If you want to use Stonesense with 40d17, you can grab the Memory.xml file directly from a DFHack repository.  It's working for me.

Here's the copy I'm using:
http://github.com/peterix/dfhack/raw/master/output/Memory.xml
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: February 22, 2010, 05:20:51 pm »

Question: At this point in Stonesense's evolution, is it entirely up to the users to fill out the last few missing sprites? Currently using a lot of metal ramps which are showing up as regular stone ramps; should I just go ahead and make my own, or will they eventually be forthcoming?

I'm also planning on recolouring the constructed stone object so that they look like the in-game colours ('realistic' looks bother me because then what looks cohesive in DF looks messy in SS), since I don't believe that's been released either, so I'll be posting that when I'm done and then asking for help on how to insert it into the game when I've finished with that.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: February 22, 2010, 05:29:13 pm »

This looks amazing.

What sort of FPS hit should I expect from this?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: February 22, 2010, 05:48:34 pm »

This looks amazing.

What sort of FPS hit should I expect from this?

depends on the refesh rate and your computer. DF would only be hit due to SS taking up a slight chunk of processing. i get about 2 to 14 fps hit with a 5x5 map with 100 population and minimal water and stone interaction.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: February 22, 2010, 05:53:18 pm »

Thats me waiting til I get a new pc then.

I generally GET around 14 fps under those conditions.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: February 22, 2010, 07:52:02 pm »

looking at this again, it should be doable procedurally to mesh things into this sort of order. {[ITEM]->[GRASP/STANCE]/(extermity)->(connections toward body)} in order bottom to top, in back, STANCES before GRASPS
{[LOWERBODY]->[UPPERBODY]->[NECK]->[HEAD]}
{(connections from body)->(extremity)->[ITEM]->[GRASP/STANCE]} for the "front"ward bits.
(bodypart)->(equipment on that bodypart, UNDER->ARMOR->OVER->COVER) unless it has a STEP, in which case draw it after all those bps/equipments it STEPS over.

Shields would not work with it, though, nor would pincer-held items, nor prone/non-upright critters. hmm...shields are easily excepted. Pincers are just where one finds out GRASP parts need separating, and prones/not uprights can just be made to have their body draw order anterior to posterior or vice versa,like we're going distal to proximal or the other way when needed.

If you're trying to come up with draw-order logic that will work on any creature, I don't think that's practical.  People will inevitably come up with a creature for which it doesn't work (or they might just want to use a different stance).
If I get it right it should be possible to get all the bilaterally-symmetric vertebrates with the one I was considering, if you have all limbs as branching off the spine. I don't think anything has radial bodyplans yet (I don't even know if it's possible in DF yet!)

I mean, if it's really too much trouble, you find the ones that don't work and give a custom draworder in the same place you define the attach points for parts, if you weren't using a full-size sprite per part to get them to be placed right simply.

I'm sure it won't be possible to make a good wrestling imager simply because it is possible to do crazy/impossible things with your joints and theirs, but most of the rest of the normal actions should be feasible.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: February 23, 2010, 02:07:13 am »

^If so, would the downside of people's modded, crazy creatures not fitting the model be enough to prevent a system like this from at least being implemented in vanilla?

Given that most people will start out playing vanilla, it might be a suitable goal to devote most attention to visualizing the things normally found in there, and while you would consider mods, they would be of lower priority.

I'm sure that modders can live with their unusual, bizarre creations happening to act in a slightly glitchy way.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: February 23, 2010, 01:09:55 pm »

Well the memory you gave me sorta worked, I'm getting yellow blocks in a lot of places.... is that a side effect of missing stuff or some change in the Memory.xml?
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 379