Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 987

Author Topic: Bay12 Photo Share! Let's share photos and cool things.  (Read 1593283 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile

EVERYBODY SHUT THE HELL UP AND POST PICS LIKE YOUR SUPPOSED TO!!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange

I, for one, would have decided not to apologize for your overreaction and general hate-mongering.

Also, what exactly is wrong with Constructivism?

You don't have to surrender anything, the idea was to get the thread back where it needs to be.
Take it somewhere else. Don't be afraid to notify the rest of us though,
 I feel like flaming about anime right about now.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

do you enjoy abstract expressionism? what about russian constructivism? or even suprematism? it's legitimate to hate an art style, particularly when it's ugly

All of those things are pretty great and you don't know what you're talking about

also, i think you may have got me wrong, i may have phrased it in a confusing manner, i'm not saying that those stuff are ugly or that i didn't enjoy them, i actually do enjoy some, i was merely stating artistic genres that people don't relate as much as they do with manga, i was trying to show Bandages some art styles he could hate, if he failed at hating those i'd try showing him some more.

EDIT: to clarify, of those, i just don't enjoy abstract expressionism. i enjoy figurative expressionism, tough, and i often apply constructivist inspired traces in my art. i am also a communist, tough not a soviet lover.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:32:05 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile

Manga isn't quite the same as expressionism or constructivism, though. You can have a Constructivist Manga, for instance. Indeed, a Manga is actually just a graphic novel or comic book from Japan.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

it is often associated to a drawing style and aesthetic that i hate. i enjoy some mangas, but when somebody says *manga* i know they're referring to something i hate. also, i edited my previous post while you ninjaed me

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange

I wonder why you hate it though?
Because it doesn't look real?

I think they were trying to make the human face more expressive,
 the way they do to their electronics and other devices.
Almost like a purer simpler version of human appearance.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Well now this is interesting...  Someone imposes an image of something they like onto an image, thus seeing him as a manga-esque character, and then there's a great big hoohah that springs up about how it's not right to poo-poo a particular style because you don't like it.

Not only that, but there's also this fantastic argument that you in fact can't dislike an art style because, obviously, you just haven't seen the few fragments of it that appeal to you.

Yes, Askot was a bit politically incorrect in his manner of stating things, making it appear as though the style in question was in itself ugly, rather than him just viewing it as ugly (mind, this argument can be applied to ANY of the applications of the term).  That can cause a few more ruffled feathers than making the statement a clearer "I think it's ugly".

However, I have a hard time feeling sympathy for the other party in this matter due to the, quite frankly, horrible arguments that are being used to try and change his views.  Some of the comments brought up here are reminiscent of YouTube comments.

Although I personally do not care for the art style most commonly used in mangas and animes, I have no issue with the people who do enjoy it, so long as they don't try to rub my face in it.  But what I'm seeing here are arguments along the line of "you can't say you dislike it, because you haven't seen enough of it to find the parts that will make you like it".  This is incredibly fault logic, and I've heard it far too many times in far too many places.  As emotional beings, we have a disturbing tendency to gravitate towards this kind of rash statement.

If you make some kind of comment along the lines of "you can't dislike an art style", you must also agree that "you can't like an art style".  Attempting to enforce one without the other is ridiculous, as the argument that you should only consider the individual pieces within the art style can be applied to both sides of the like/dislike argument.  Mind you, I'm perfectly fine with the view that specification is preferable to generalization.  I just like to make it clear that it's perfectly acceptable to dislike the individual items, just as much as it is to like them.

However, I don't really think that fully applies here.  Yes, certain definitions of the terms Manga and Anime simply refer to general mediums, such as animated cartoons or graphic novels.  However, the commonly accepted and widely used definitions of these terms refer to specific art styles, with characteristics shared between the individual pieces.  Just as various musical genres and painting styles are grouped together based on shared characteristics.

If you happen to dislike those shared characteristics, I daresay it's quite possible to dislike that genre.  For instance, I dislike death metal and abstract art.  No, I have not listened to every death metal song nor viewed every abstract painting, and it's quite possible that there are one or two individual instances of each that I might enjoy, but I still dislike those styles due to the fact that I dislike the shared characteristics that make them up.

All in all, what I see here is just a disagreement between people who do like manga and people who don't like manga, communicated with a number of 'round-the-bush attacks and misunderstandings.  There's not much good that can come from this.

...and the first thing that popped into my head when I saw that last photo of him was "punk rocker".

EDIT:  Goddamn 9 freakin' replies while I was posting...  Sod it, I almost lost this post already, I'm not going to re-tweak the whole thing.  Doesn't look like the current issue has advanced much anyways.

Although I did forget to include that, yes, this really has no business being in a photo sharing thread.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

i also hate punk rock

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know what I don't hate?

I don't hate vests.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hate everything you like.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange

There are many styles of mainstream anime art,
 here are a few examples:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I bet the last and first one stick out most to you (Askot) as unpleasing?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

o have mixed feelings about vests.

I hate everything you like.
i like your avatar, and the shades it depicts

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's really just the way Japanese people draw cartoons.

Really.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

i like shin chan

and this
It's really just the way Japanese people draw cartoons.

Really.
is racist and untrue

edit:i feel i need to state this is a joke

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile

EVERYBODY SHUT THE HELL UP AND POST PICS LIKE YOUR SUPPOSED TO!!
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 987