Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 38

Author Topic: Cavebrands  (Read 66573 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cavebrands
« Reply #270 on: June 09, 2010, 11:20:39 am »

I marked the HFS with a big, juicy "DIG HERE" designation underground. Leads you straight to the fun stuff. Man, I sure was bored.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 10, 2010, 04:15:55 pm »

I marked the HFS with a big, juicy "DIG HERE" designation underground. Leads you straight to the fun stuff. Man, I sure was bored.

I made sure to stay the fuck away.
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 10, 2010, 06:25:34 pm »

I made sure to stay the fuck away.

I'm going straight for it, right after I get some other stuff I want dug out first.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2010, 10:45:30 pm »

Doomed. It'll all end in tears.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2010, 11:59:00 pm »

Unleash the fun.  The halls miss their skeletons.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 12, 2010, 01:31:51 am »

Um, er, ah...  This could end badly.  As in, catastrophically bad.  Irrevocably bad.

Excellent!

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 12, 2010, 04:27:56 pm »

Trading has begun, I am using most of the items that were not made here in Cavebrands (I suspect past Overseer's greed and "taking" the items from caravans)

A crafter has been possessed!

and he claims a Jeweler's workshop
 took him a while to get all the materials but he finally started making whatever he was making.
=================================================================
Updated game to .06 and got the new version of Dwarf therapist.
==================================================================

Major speed increase. I am liking this.

I think I found a glitch, in the job manager when you make a new order and put down "ben" traction bench comes up,
about 20 times and all are the same. Just the same, not even wooden or anything.

Finally the artifact is made:

Worth 109200 dwarf monies. Whoa that's a lot for a barrel. It is also the most expensive artifact we have other then the adamantine ring.

Well we traded a lot of items that would be useless for most of the dwarfs, items that we got from outsiders one way or another, for lots of food, mostly turtle and other items I found important.

Also I am putting the legendary gem cutter to good use by making him encrust bolts with diamonds.

Also we seem to be in another wood shortage.

=================================================================

Mid autumn.

We have started digging at the "dig here" location.

Small problem

hmm "well I guess if you can't go through it, you most go under it!" - dwarfish proverb

Well going under it seems harder then I thought. There is magma everywhere. I guess I must think in a much larger way.

========================================================================

After a few tries it seems impossible to go through the magma. I think I am going to need to make some metal pumps......

Well our legendary gen setter seems to hate doing anything involving gems because even with all labors disabled, except for gem cutting and setting he always finds something else to do. First he decides to chain an animal. Then bring items to the depot. Then Drink. Party. Eat. Sleep. I HATE THIS DWARF. I guess now is a good time to figure out the burrow system...

First try, marking the un-built workshop and a few tiles around it a burrow and then adding the dwarf to it. Nope now he has no job.
There will be no second try, instead I will just let him do those none-labour tasks first and then make the workshop and then work at it.
I think I might of found the problem. The workshop is to be made out of tin bars, and even though it says gem cutting or setting it might need metal crafting or something. Changing his labor tasks as needed.

*few seconds later*

IT WORKED!
Well I think I found another glitch unless when I wasn't paying attention someone with gem cutting set up the workshop but for a brief 10 seconds when I was checking any updates to threads I find important, the workshop was done. GLITCH = UNSURE

Great now the gem setter is making bronze bars, the trouble I go through to encrust some bolts with diamonds.

If the dwarf wasn't legendary+5 I would of killed him by now... even if it was legendary+4

========================================================================
19th limestone early autumn

The traders left, autumn is going by to slowly

=========================================================================

More updates coming up.
Trying to find a way into the adamintine pipe is proving to be very difficult, I am thinking of using pumps and some very brave dwarfs if I get enough time to attempt my crazy idea.
Also the shortage of wood is making me consider using some of that very nice wood in the caves and caverns....

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 12, 2010, 05:51:05 pm »

I find it amusing that the "dig here" designation with a line through it says "die here". How true.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 12, 2010, 06:25:47 pm »

Crundles everywhere

They are sabotaging my idea to get more wood and find a way into the adamantine pipe. I don't think the military is strong enough to fight them. (One dwarf that has red everywhere, who is in a bed unconscious, and a axedwarf.)

I count 14 crundles. Hmmm 1v14... The odds are not good enough for me to try.

Our need for wood is becoming greater everyday...

Jackpot!

Also digging around didn't work very well seeing as all I found was gold and then more semi-molten rock I can't dig through.

==============================================================================================

Mid autumn

Today is a day to be remembered, we actually have idlers. The 4 lazy dwarfs are not working because of the lack of wood and that all their professions require wood. Time to give them some hauling jobs :P

============================================================================================
Late Autumn most of Autumn went by nice and easy until this:

Yes a goblin Ambush
Wait whats this!?!?! I can't seem to find the "dwarfs go outdoors" order. This is not good. Pulling the lever and assigning all dwarfs to some random burrow inside the fortress

Luckily the dwarf in that picture was smart enough to run inside, the dogs I stationed outside seem to be good distractions.
Great now a dwarven caravan has just arrived, hopefully the goblins will go into the traps and not to the caravans

Caravan V.S 7 goblins
Well it seems to be a fair fight seeing as there are 9 dwarfs plus one of my military dwarfs against 6 goblins and 1 dwarf that is with the goblins.
Oops I mis-counted it seems there are only 5 guard dwarfs the others are just merchants, but we are still winning the fight after some of the goblins got injured by some stone-fall traps.

Well the goblins are dead, our one military dwarf barely got into the fight and didn't even get a kill.

Also now looking at the forgotten beast it seems to have found some water

It's still heavily wounded.
===============================================================================================

Trading has started

also our one military dwarfs combat skills after about 6 months of solo-training

Also a picture from the traction bench glitch I mentioned earlier

Is there any difference?

============================================================================================

I am taking a break for today, my turn will (hopefully) be done tomorrow.
Winter will be here in about 6 ingame days.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 12, 2010, 08:45:43 pm »

Also this post has 100% more update:

Well as I was talking with the traders I asked for some assorted items, including logs.

Not this again... The traders are still there but it looks like the traps can handle them. I will send our one little military dwarf to see if he can pick off one or two that will be injured by traps.

Also wile all of this is happening we are peacefully discussing trade agreements.

The traps scared the goblins away, but one had his throat sliced and is crawling on the ground, waiting for

Our one and only military dwarf.

The goblins armor proved strong but I know he will die after a while...
GOD DAMN IT after a few days of hacking away, the goblin woke up, injured Duke Nukem and then ran away. The duke is now resting from a brown injury.

hmmm it seems that goblin equipment is usable by dwarfs in this version... that's useful.

=======================================================================

Well I traded for most of the trader's items so all is going well. Again I was using items obtained from outside the fortress, most of them are goblin giant cave spider silk clothing.

Now I am also going to make a quick trip into the caravans with a few woodcutters, haulers, miners and Duke Nukem to get some precious wood. There are giant toads near by but hopefully they will leave us alone. And if they prove hospital lets hope they can't destroy the doors I put down.

Well the plan went kinda well

As you can see our friend the giant stone scorpion wanted to come and pay us the visit but that dwarf was able to put up a wall fast enough to stop him. I will keep on cutting trees and then putting up walls to stop it from coming to close.

again it comes close...

and again, it just never learns.
============================================================
I am really liking the burrow system, without it I would have made an easy way for the forgotten beast to get in and kill everyone but with it I have much more control over the dwarfs and the order they do things in.
The rest is coming by tomorrow

Also current Stats:

Sorry for the double post but anyone know what building I use to assign a room as a hospital?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:19:28 pm by DFNewb »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 12, 2010, 10:54:00 pm »

"We want anvils, top priority. Bring as many as you can."
"Well, we'll have to price them at 225%, then."
"Make it 207% and I'll throw in a few severed goblin intestines."
"It's a deal!"

Also, can you explain the burrow system and what you know of the military system in the thread for future overseers?

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 13, 2010, 09:05:15 pm »

First event of the middle month of winter, our greatest warrior died from not getting any water while resting in his bed, lightly injured from the goblin that escaped. Today is a sad day for dwarfkind. Maybe having no idlers is not such a good idea because then there is no-one to feed the injured.
===================================================================

Another ambush, the date is 19 of the last month of winter, I have a feeling the next overseer will get to deal with the goblins. The winter is and probably will end up being every boring.

Also the military screen is pretty easy to use, the burrow one is as well. From what I understand, the dwarfs assigned to a burrow have to always be, or be going to a part of the burrow and eat, sleep, drink, work, relax, pretty much do anything, in the burrow.

That's a woodworker that was caught outside and is being mobbed to pieces. The second death of my term as overseer.

Whats this!?!?! The woodworker is sure to die, but the goblins didn't finish him off. (he is at the yellow X) I guess that in the new version goblins show mercy. That or he will be taken as a slave...

Never mind, the goblins just retreated after a few fell to some traps. Guess they still don't show any mercy.
Also the dwarf died in the end with both his legs cut off.

=======================================================================

With only a week left of my term as overseer, I think I should note down some things.
I had plans for some siege engines to be built in the little building I made near the entrance for extra defense. The parts need more wood to be built but the building is ready. 
Other then that I have a large amount of work orders still set and I placed some (N)otes around the area to help future overseers out.
Also the fortress really needs wood.
Link to save:  http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2503
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:09:45 pm by DFNewb »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 13, 2010, 09:06:52 pm »

There's no link.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 13, 2010, 09:10:04 pm »

I was waiting for the file to upload, it's there now.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 13, 2010, 09:12:02 pm »

Oh, okay.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 38