Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Lets Play Dragonball T, a module for ToME3  (Read 25876 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Dragonball T, a module for ToME3
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2013, 07:55:50 am »

1) Healing in general.  I know the first aid skill exists, and acupuncture is
possible to level up, but what do they do?  Is there any sort of instant-heal methods?

* First aid and blood coagulant stop only bleeding (Be sure to have some way of dealing with bleeds before you go to Muscle Tower, or else you may occasionally step on traps that do ~500 damage before you stop bleeding.)

* Acupuncture fixes all "conditions." Stat loss, bleed, fear, blind, slow, stun, poison, etc. The delay effect described in the item description is not implemented, so don't worry about that. Use is instant.

* Zheng gu shui causes you to regenerate. Quick check...looks like 3hp every turn until the effect wears off.

* Senzu beans will instantly heal/cure anything and everything short of death. Get them from Karin.

* Chi regeneration (ability not skill) restores a variable number of hp/turn based on your settings limited only by how much chi you can feed it. However, it appears that no trainer in the game teaches it. It should be possible to learn it by using a dragonball wish.

* Chi healing instantly restores hit points in adjustable increments of 100, but Kami is the only trainer. Unfortunately he's not easily accessible in the current version because the Nyoi-bo is unobtainable, and even if you do get to him, it's probably unrealistic to convince him Mr. Popo to let you see him unless you're at least level 40 or have released Demon King Piccolo. Of course, you could always use a dragonball wish to learn chi healing instead of training it.

You've mentioned techonmancy as broken.

what else is broken about it?

What works:
 * Disassembly
 * Sewing kits (though Joesephine's store is bugged and she won't sell them to you. But they're easy to find.)
 * Learning recipes, both via blueprint and disassembly
 * Basic construction of electronics and stuff

What kind of works, sort of:
 * Some recipes apear to be bugged. Maybe. The first time I tried it, it failed on me. But I've checked again since, and I've yet to see the error I got the first time I tried it.

What doesn't work at all:
 * Viewing recipes once they've been learned. This means that while you can learn recipes and build things...you can't actually see what materials you need. Note that recipes are randomized for every character, so you can't just look up what materials you need. You'd pretty much need to figure out what types of material something needs and just carry a whole bunch of them and hope for the best.
 * Ego enhancement: this is the most important part of technomancy. Being able to disassemble batteries and turn the parts into, for example...a megaphone...just isn't very useful. The real point of technomancy is to allow you to, for example, disassemble a studded shirt to learn how to make studding, then apply the studded enhancement to all your other armor to give you huge resistance. Or, learn the high capacity enhance from one item, then make all your flame throwers, megphone, laser pointers etc all high capacity rather than having to get lucky and find these things already enhanced.

Speaking of which...have you applied the ego item workaround described here? If you haven't, I highly recommend it.

rate dexterity higher than constitution is because I personally prefer not
to get hit than to have a large reservour of hitpoint to take hits from.

That's a valid strategy, but note that it will work more or less well depending on where you are. Firearms and explosives ignore AC and their damage is only reduced by resistance. So, armor that might make you nearly immune to damage in Mr Satan's estate isn't going to help you much in Muscle Tower.

I've also noticed that the Chi power that allows travel between worlds is gone (based upon the help files saying it's broken and the fact that the guy who is suppose to train interplanet teleport was mentioned as impossible to meet),

travel between worlds is gone

Interplanetary teleportation is not the only way for a chi practitioner to travel between planets. It's just faster.

As for technomancy, since it turns out it does work after all, I've tested via debug mode and yes, I was able to build a spaceship. However, there appears to be a very silly bug that prevents spaceships from traveling through space.

So yes, there are several valid to get off world that appear to work just fine. Don't read the following spoiler unless you want to be spoiled:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm wondering if our discussion about this game should perhaps be moved to a
topic in "Other Games", since we're no longer discussing a "Let's Play".

I'm toying with the idea of releasing an unofficial V091a branch that fixes a couple minor problems. If I do, I'll make a new topic for it. How about give me a list of the half a dozen or so bugs you'd most like to see fixed, and if they're easy fixes I'll consider it.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2013, 08:06:16 am »

It just feels like an oversight to make a game based on mostly Dragonball
and not to include the obvious cool ability right there.

It was not an oversight. It was deliberately considered and the decision was made to not include it. Just like, for example, the decision was made to not allow Boss rabbit to turn the player into a carrot. If you don't like that, *shrug* I'm over it.

you would be surprised at what feature actually hooked me on this (until I couldn't continue through the game because I sucked at it).

...actually...

Lets just say that the feature is rather transparent.

...that was my first guess as soon as you said it. During the peak of DBT I had one player in particular who very specifically went out of his way to invoke that particular condition as a character build choice.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2013, 03:02:18 pm »

the decision was made to not allow Boss rabbit to turn the player into a carrot

Wait what!?!  :-\

They at least gave him something thematic to replace that I hope.

The more I hear about this mod the less impressive it seems.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:07:43 pm by Neonivek »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2013, 03:25:51 pm »

ouch that pretty harsh 
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2013, 04:06:40 pm »

I am getting the impression that Lord Bucket made this game/mod.

As otherwise what I said would just be distant critique but I am getting responses that suggests I am striking close to home.

Which had I known I would have more then tempered my statements.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 04:08:12 pm by Neonivek »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2013, 04:18:28 pm »

I am getting the impression that Lord Bucket made this game/mod.

As otherwise what I said would just be distant critique but I am getting responses that suggests I am striking close to home.

Which had I known I would have more then tempered my statements.
ya LordBucket made the mod not sure why he/she stop though.

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2013, 04:20:15 pm »

Ahhh, now the responses I am getting are a bit more obvious.

I appologise for the way in which I criticised the game.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 04:38:38 pm by Neonivek »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2013, 04:41:40 pm »

I don't know, 'you're arguing with the mod's creator' was sort of unsubtle. :)

I think it's a lot like Aurora - LordBucket chose to create the Dragonball world to play around with, and allowed other people to also play along. However, he's also the creator of this world, and if something is too difficult to implement given its rarity in the world, it didn't get implemented.  It also sounds like this project was not fully completed, and the most available version is several builds back from the last build he did create.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2013, 04:45:25 pm »

I don't know, 'you're arguing with the mod's creator' was sort of unsubtle

No I really didn't know. I got hints with how Lord Bucket responded but I chose to ignore it since it could have just been someone who really liked the mod hating anyone who voices even the slightest bit of disapointment or disapproval (which is common).

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2013, 06:35:00 am »

I hope you are being sarcastic here.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2013, 07:12:18 am »

Now now we already got after him no need to throw more salt in the wound  :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2013, 01:19:39 pm »

There may be another bug that sort of makes up for Burma not being available for marriage: Lunch respawns after marriage (at least after marriage to Oblong).  So it might be possible to remarry her.

EDIT: Unable to test, she disappeared before I could find her.

Taking things out of capsules also seems broken, athough my character has no science skills.

I've "died" at level 29, and am at North Kai's planet.  Unfortunately, I don't know any jokes, and I can't leave (exit stairs are broken, I think).  I decided to "suicide" the character, because I wanted the character to go into the high score instead of wizarding.

Also, I was reading the various notes, and came upon Dr. Gero granting the player Android Enhancements.  Is that implemented?  I'm assuming he's in the Red Ribbon Army Camp.

I also noticed that one can possibly gain Dragon Balls by killing friendlies.  I can't find the command to attack friendlies.

Speaking of Dragon Balls, I had two dragon ball sixes.  On a related note, items placed in the house are identified.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2013, 03:50:35 am »

Speaking of Dragon Balls, I had two dragon ball sixes.

Known bug. Was never fixed even in the final release. It shouldn't interfere with summoning the dragon. Checking the code...you only need seven dragonballs. It doesn't care which.

Given the amount of effort it would take to fix this and that it doesn't interfere with gameplay, I'm not going to worry about it.

items placed in the house are identified.

Engine limitation. Nothing I can do about that.

I can't find the command to attack friendlies.

Hmm. Looks bugged in this version. Help files say that - and + are "force specify attack" but they appear to not work. I'm able to use technology items and chi attacks to cause damage to friendlies, but they don't become hostile like they're supposed to. I suppose if you just want to kill them, use ranged tools and abilities and they'll just stand there and let you.

aking things out of capsules also seems broken, athough my character has no science skills.

Works fine for me. Though encapsulated items don't properly label themselves as encapsulated. Testing it now...I 'u'se a capsule, it queries me for an object, I choose the set of streetclothes in my inventory, it correctly tells me that the item has been encapsulated, I check inventory and the capsule is gone and the clothes now weight .1 pounds (though it should say it's encapsulated and it doesn't), I try to 'w'ear an item and choose the streetclothes and it tells me I have to remove it from the capsule first, I 'u'se item, and it correctly gives me the streetclothes as an option, I select the streetclothes and it asks me if I want to remove it from the capsule, I say 'y'es and the streetclothes once again weigh 5 pounds and the capsule has been returned to my inventory.

What's the problem?

at North Kai's planet
I don't know any jokes

There are multiple solutions. The easiest one is...

I can't leave (exit stairs are broken, I think).

I remember that bug. I'll see what I can do about it.

Also, I was reading the various notes, and came upon Dr. Gero granting the
player Android Enhancements.  Is that implemented?

Dr. Gero is in the game, but his dialogue appears to be unfinished and it looks like enhancements are not accessible.

However, he's part of the Android arc, which occurs after finishing all Red Ribbon Army zones. Unless you can find a way to trigger the Trunks' time travel quest line...which appears to be disabled in this version for some reason...the only way to even see Dr. Gero's lab is to finish the RRA arc, which involves clearing some level 40+ dungeons.

Not much after that is implemented. If you can kill Commander Red, that's pretty much the end of the game right now.

The game progression is:

Rabbit Hole (Levels 1-5)
Sewers (Levels 5-9)
Mr. Satan's Estate (Levels 10-15)
Ninja Warehouse (Level 15-21)
Dojo Destroyer quest (Levels 20-23)
Orinji Temple (Levels 17-23)
Muscle Tower (levels 21-26)
Namek (Levels 24-50)
Uranai Baba's House (Levels 25-26)
Underwater Caverns (levels 31-36)
Pilaf's Fortress (Levels 33-40) (Not implemented in this version)
RRA Supreme headquarters (Levels 40-46)
The Volcano (Levels 46-50)
Dr. Gero's Lab (Levels 80-100) (It's there, partially implemented...but if you get here you've already beat the game.

Though the above numbers are stated dungeons levels rather than what you'd necessarily actually do while playing. For example, personally I've been playing a bit since V091 resufaced, and I routinely skip the sewers and Orinji temple, and I typically avoid challenging Jaqcque, Charleton and Hatsumi at their stated levels. And whatever levels you are when you are, you're probably going to gain closer to 10 levels by the time you've finished it. Progression will vary a lot depending on build and how familiar you are with the game, but personally, my mine has typically been more like this:

Levels 1-5: Kill orange belts in town
Levels 5-16: Mr Satan's Estate
Levels 16-28: Do Dojo Destroyer and World Tournament fights
Levels 28 until I die: Muscle Tower

Muscle Tower seems to be really hard in this version. It's a low to mid 20s zone, but it's been killing me even at levels around 30. But I've been doing it without using senzu, so that's probably the problem. There also appears to be a bug that prevents headgear from granting blindness immunity, which is very inconvenient. I'll take a look at that.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2013, 10:41:00 am »

As long as the Dragonball work, I and everyone else should be happy.

Items being identified when placed in the house certainly isn't a bad thing.  The items stay unidentified when they're removed, so it doesn't allow the selling of unidentified items: It just lets the user see what their options are.  I call it a perk of home ownership.   :P

Specificially, I has an error when I tried to uncapsule the capsule boat that I bought at capsule corp.  Could be my lack of sailing skill?

Thanks for the help on the North Kai.

For Muscle Tower, I was thinking of equiping an infantry helmet and flak jacket.  From what I can see, it would give me 70% ballistic resistance.  I was already using a character with high constitution, and that seemed to help a lot.  I might also have my next character learn accupuncture prior to visiting Muscle Tower, so I can cure blindness instantly.  I've also had luck just attacking blindly: Most of the early enemies still insist on attacking in melee, so I can still kill kill kill even when blind.

Also, I'd like to mention for the other readers of this forum that Muscle Tower is the stand-alone RRA HQ, the one accessable by land.  I didn't figure that out until I had a character save and exit while in Muscle Tower.

Thoughts on Ghost Weapons:

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2013, 12:32:44 am »

As long as the Dragonball work, I and everyone else should be happy.

Well, most I've managed to find in a single game is four, but short of playing through an entire game, so far as I can tell, they do work. They drop normally, and all the scripts seem just fine when I execute them in debug mode. Shenron shows up, whines at me then grants my wish. Though the wishing code is a bit less refined in this version that it was in later versions. Just be sure to ask him for advice rather than just jumping in. You only get three attempts at a properly phrased wish before he gets annoyed and leaves.

I has an error when I tried to uncapsule the capsule boat that I bought
at capsule corp.  Could be my lack of sailing skill?

Looks like there are several unrelated bugs at work here. I've improved handling in my local copy in case we release a patch, but it's still not perfect.

infantry helmet and flak jacket.  From what I can see, it would give me 70% ballistic resistance.

...oh, I see. I've been shopping at the gun store, not the military surplus store. No wonder I couldn't get any ballistic armor. Yes, that should increase survivability immensely.

might also have my next character learn accupuncture prior to visiting Muscle Tower, so I can cure blindness instantly.  I've also had luck just attacking blindly: Most of the early enemies still insist on attacking in melee, so I can still kill kill kill even when blind.

Yes, that will probably help, since blindness immunity doesn't seem to be working.

Muscle Tower is the stand-alone RRA HQ, the one accessable by land.

...well, yes. The one surrounding by snow and mountains rather than the one surrounded by missile turrets.

Thoughts on Ghost Weapons:

Yes, that will work. Also, confirmed just now that artifacts carried on death stay with you in the afterlife. Anyway, it would be less of an issue except that for some reason regular artifacts don't seem to drop in this version. There's a bunch of artifact gear you've never seen. Only dragonballs and quest-related artifacts seem to be dropping.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8