Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 214089 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #405 on: May 19, 2010, 04:22:44 am »

Especially in a laptop,  the hard drive or fans can cause signal noise.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 19, 2010, 04:29:42 am »

soft, almost inaudible noise
Wild guess here, but this may the result of some kind of electronic interference in your sound hardware.  See if you can replicate it with other games/applications.
Could be. I mucked around a bit, and it seems that it's always there, and DF makes it considerably louder. I seldom do anything graphics-intensive on this computer, which would explain why I never heard it before.
Good solution though would just be to turn off the speakers when you are playing or lower the volume of the speakers.
That doesn't work. They're internal speakers, so I can't just turn them off, and the volume settings do absolutely nothing. Not that it matters that much.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 19, 2010, 04:35:30 am »

One thing I did to eliminate the majority of the noise/interference in my laptop's audio (this may be different in versions of Windows past XP, but the principle still should apply):

• Open Volume Control.
  • Click Options -> Properties, make sure "Playback" is selected, then select all checkboxes and press "OK".
  • Mute anything that isn't necessary. In my case, this was everything aside from Master Volume (duh), Wave (might be called something else), SW Synth (might be called "MIDI" or something else), and PC Speaker (not that it's used for much). There are a lot of things you simply don't need: "CD Player", "Phone Line", etc. Just mute a bunch of stuff, basically, using some common sense, and if you happen to mess up you'll probably realize it, and judge what effect they have on the amount of interference. In my case, I could eliminate almost all perceptible interference by doing this.

Basically, the point is to eliminate whatever sources of interference there are that aren't actually doing anything, and some of the output stages you aren't using might be accumulating some from whatever surrounding electronics.

Also, amplifying a lot (as in having the master volume turned up high in the volume control) amplifies the noise too, so keeping the other volumes up high (say, leaving "Wave" or whatever it's called turned up to near-max/max and leaving Master Volume lower) can help, since you're doing less amplification of the signal (which then includes the noise).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

voneiden

• Bay Watcher
  • hngh
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 19, 2010, 04:45:29 am »

When the DF window is visible, the laptop speakers make a constant, soft, almost inaudible noise. They certainly shouldn't be doing that. I have headphones connected, and the laptop speakers should pretty much stay quiet no matter what. I find this absolutely baffling. It only happens when the DF window is visible on the screen, and updating; that is, not when saving or loading a game. It's quiet enough that I can ignore it, but still kind of creepy. DF sound is turned off from the init settings.

My guess: The noise is caused by the heavy work your GPU is doing, assuming you get the sound only in 31.04

You don't have any idea of just how much I envy you that your computer is good enough for you to be able to consider 40 fps abysmal. Sure, on my desktop, I usually get around 250 fps too and that's good, but on my laptop, 25 is the norm (even in the previous version). And it's still fairly playable, I'd say. I also haven't experienced anything that could be described as "interface jerkyness", maybe it's an unrelated issue.

7 idle dwarves at embark @40FPS means 30FPS once they get to work, 20 FPS with 20 dwarves and open caverns and at 60 dwarves it becomes unplayable - and in comparison to 31.03 on my (fairly old) machine that is abysmal. For a "speedup release".

Seriously, I'm playing with a fairly cheap laptop bought over an year ago (HP 6735s) and I'm able to kick 58fps with 57 dwarves. SHADER seems to work the best, but ACCUM_BUFFER and FRAME_BUFFER still give me a nice ~55fps. With 31.03 this would be unplayable for me ..

I don't know what is your definition of "fairly old", but even my old desk computer makes better FPS than this laptop. And that fella has an 8-year old GPU (radeon 9600), though the processor is a bit newer dual core.

Maybe time to move on from the 486dx4?

jonharson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 19, 2010, 05:26:34 am »

So i dug through the graphic library source a bit and made a version actually working with graphic. I attached the modified source here along with a pre-compiled library for Linux. I changed quite a bit of stuff wile digging as i think many would agree with me that this is messy code, but the main place to look is in textures.cpp::testTextureSize, am lazy and mostly only commented the check out (it's almost impossible for it to fail legitimately anyway). Enjoy and might the Schwartz be with you. Note that i only tested the 2D mode and wouldn't be surprised if nothing else work with this version.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:37:11 am by jonharson »

jonharson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 19, 2010, 05:27:48 am »

Now can i has a windows build pretty please?

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 19, 2010, 07:27:19 am »

Well, I have tried just about everything - I simply cannot play the new version (Legacy works fine, of course.) due to the horrid framerate, regardless of my init settings. I hope to god toady keeps up with legacy versions. I'd hate to have to stop. I know a new computer would probably fix this, but I simply cannot afford one. All I have is a T2082 Emachine with 1 gig of ram. It cant really run anything from after 2007. Im dealing with it, though.

Anyway, great job on the new version, again, toady, regardless of my issue. You did well on the merge.

I think that should run ok from looking at the specs. The only board I have with the via km266 is dead so I cant check. maybe somebody else can chime in that has similar specs.

i would defiantly check for updated drivers.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 19, 2010, 10:25:54 am »

It goes on so long! argh, why did you make it end year 1050!?
you can stop it whenever, you know. I think spacebar pauses it, then you can push Q (i think) to use world as it currently exists.

You'll have lots more megabeasts. That's either good or bad depending on your point of view, but it's something to be aware of when messing with worldgen.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 19, 2010, 10:35:38 am »

any megabeasts that would be killed in worldgen are megabests that don't need to be worried about

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 19, 2010, 10:48:48 am »

now I've had a chance to do some worldgen and play a little bit and I've noticed a couple of things.

After three or four worldgens and a number of embarks I'm still getting the "nothing to catch" thing, even with embarking with an experienced ambusher/fisherman/trapper.  I thought this was a confirmed bug that was supposed to be fixed in this release.  Has anyone else had luck catching anything with this release?

Something a little odd that might just be random luck, but after genning a few different worlds I've noticed it's virtually impossible to find an embark location without an aquifer.  One map I literally looked at every single tile and found only a half dozen or so without aquifers.  I haven't messed with drainage settings in the worldgen, but this is very different from the 40d versions.  Could this have something to do with the new underground system or am I just a victim of statistics and random number generators?
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 19, 2010, 11:21:31 am »

So it's not just me, huh? Aquifers do seem extremely common now. (But I think that was true in .03 too, so it doesn't really belong in this thread.)
Akur Akir Akam!

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 19, 2010, 11:22:04 am »

Something a little odd that might just be random luck, but after genning a few different worlds I've noticed it's virtually impossible to find an embark location without an aquifer.  One map I literally looked at every single tile and found only a half dozen or so without aquifers.  I haven't messed with drainage settings in the worldgen, but this is very different from the 40d versions.  Could this have something to do with the new underground system or am I just a victim of statistics and random number generators?

Just remove the aquifers entirely from your raws. It's what I did after running into the same problems.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 19, 2010, 11:23:49 am »

NO MORE LAVA RAIN! WOOT!  :P

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 19, 2010, 11:54:43 am »

A lot of aquifiers is a side effect of the new "islands" world generator. Go into "generate with parameters" and choose the other type to get the old land-goes-to-edge-of-world-with-few-aquifiers maps.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

armrha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 19, 2010, 11:59:06 am »

NO MORE LAVA RAIN! WOOT!  :P

I still get the lava rain on seasonal changes sometimes... The biggest problem I am having is the known-bug with the squad creation, though. I can't defend my fort! Which isn't that bad or whatever, but yeah, looking forward to the fix.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 55