Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 214136 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #765 on: June 02, 2010, 03:15:57 am »

He probably means he has an embedded graphics chip (likely intel) instead of a proper graphics "card". They are surprisingly good at 3D these days. If they weren't, then none of "ACCUM_BUFFER, FRAME_BUFFER and VBO" options would work.
The "standard" mode is the default because it is the best choice for the largest number of people. The 2D modes use SDL's drawing, which I think is software. Unless you have a serious imbalance between the power of your cpu and your gpu, they should be slower (especially the not-async one). IIRC Partial is very similar to the new standard mode.

Legacy is DF without the new graphics code. i.e. it should be even slower than "2D" in the new one.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: June 02, 2010, 05:03:15 am »

31.04 is also without partial printing, which means every mode is slower than usual, though some more than others. It's already fixed in 31.05, though.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Huw_Dawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: June 02, 2010, 07:24:12 am »

If 30.05 is actually going to have all that stuff in Baughn, we are going to have to think of a megaconstruction for someone to build in game in yours and Toady's honours.

Or, you know, do a donatathon DF livestream.

Because other than the unkillable FBs and no worldgen options to reject worlds if they do not have all 4 major races at the year 1050, I've not no major problem with 2010.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 07:26:50 am by Huw_Dawson »
Urist takes over shop
Materials he has not
Pants now adorn halls

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 02, 2010, 11:19:10 am »

Any idea if any of the military problems will be eased in 31.05?  Either that or a clearer set of explanations on how to circumvent the problems would be nice. 

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 02, 2010, 11:26:54 am »

It'll be nice if the window resizing bugs in Windows are fixed in the next version... it's kind of disappointing not being able to stretch out the map on my widescreen monitor.  Of course all optimization and bug fixes are appreciated. :)

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 02, 2010, 11:30:34 am »

It'll be nice if the window resizing bugs in Windows are fixed in the next version... it's kind of disappointing not being able to stretch out the map on my widescreen monitor.  Of course all optimization and bug fixes are appreciated. :)

If the graphics merge is tidied up in 31.05, I'd say there's a pretty good chance resizing will work too.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: June 02, 2010, 11:40:39 am »

He probably means he has an embedded graphics chip (likely intel) instead of a proper graphics "card". They are surprisingly good at 3D these days. If they weren't, then none of "ACCUM_BUFFER, FRAME_BUFFER and VBO" options would work.
The "standard" mode is the default because it is the best choice for the largest number of people. The 2D modes use SDL's drawing, which I think is software. Unless you have a serious imbalance between the power of your cpu and your gpu, they should be slower (especially the not-async one). IIRC Partial is very similar to the new standard mode.

Legacy is DF without the new graphics code. i.e. it should be even slower than "2D" in the new one.

Actually, as far as I know, my PoS computer doesn't even have an integrated card. Please, can we have a donatathon for me instead?  ;)
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: June 02, 2010, 12:04:47 pm »

It must have some sort of video output, unless you're running it headless and sshing into it to run things :P

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 02, 2010, 03:11:35 pm »

I know I've had it for a while, but the very first thing I noticed was that my fps went from around 30 to approximately 70. Good work, Toady!
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

koitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: June 02, 2010, 04:06:55 pm »

Please, can we have a donatathon for me instead?  ;)

Bummer timing -- I just gave away (you read that right) my "old" GeForce 9600GT.  Had you posted this a week ago......  :-(  I tend to give away hardware I don't use any more (to folks who can use it) rather than sell it,
Making life hard for others since 1977.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 02, 2010, 04:24:54 pm »

If the graphics merge is tidied up in 31.05, I'd say there's a pretty good chance resizing will work too.

actually, I got resizing to work. don't resize until the game is loaded, and you've unpaused it.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 02, 2010, 04:39:28 pm »

Please, can we have a donatathon for me instead?  ;)

Bummer timing -- I just gave away (you read that right) my "old" GeForce 9600GT.  Had you posted this a week ago......  :-(  I tend to give away hardware I don't use any more (to folks who can use it) rather than sell it,

Well if you ever have some extra hardware laying about, please think of me. By the end of summer I'll have hopefully saved up enough money for a nice computer. I'm looking towards around $800 dollars.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Wideman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 02, 2010, 04:45:45 pm »

DAMN i wish i lived in the US everything seems to be cheaper over ther your petrol, your diesel, your COMPUTER HARDWARE :/ its not fair .... I wish the UK had a low cost for living :/  for an  decent computer like with an i7, 4gb ddr3 1600mhz ram, a few 1TB hdds and a 480GTX its around £1000 when i last checked any way :( 
hmmmm you should be very afraid.... The computers around the world have eyes and ears and theyre plotting against the human race in theyre binary chants

Corbald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 02, 2010, 05:53:10 pm »

If you know the right people, and can get stuff at cost/below cost. You could easily build that system for half that price!

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 02, 2010, 06:16:49 pm »

I'm getting the "GL Error" problem too. I'll try it with graphics turned off and see how that works: it's a small price to pay for now to not have to deal with the acid rain bug.

Edit: Working fine with graphics off. I'm having the site finder problem already mentioned, but I found a decent site manually (obsidian layer!) so I'm good for now.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 11:35:39 pm by InsanityPrelude »
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 55