Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1108 1109 [1110] 1111 1112 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3563511 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Scumbag Steve Edition
« Reply #16635 on: October 10, 2012, 10:15:06 pm »

You guys get fun hallucinations! I get horrible wolves baying at my mind.

Probably not so horrible anymore though. I mean, it's just a dream, and If I feel utterly fan-fucking-tastic after them, more power to me.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16636 on: October 10, 2012, 10:15:14 pm »

* Scelly9 also has nothing like that
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16637 on: October 10, 2012, 10:15:29 pm »

..The only time I've ever hallucinated was....oh, last monthish when I was desprately afraid of my dreams, and stayed up for 72 hours at a stretch. That was....fun utterly fucking terrifying
Yeah, the visual snow thing was actually pretty terrifying for a long damn time. I couldn't sleep in the dark until my mid-teens, because there were giant multicolored amoebas floating in the room, presumably waiting to eat me. Lights back on please! With light, it's more of a multicolored buzz if you're not paying specific attention to it.

So i'm not the only one. You got any idea what causes that?
They've got no flipping idea, currently. May be genetic, may be onset, may be any dozen of things. May be several different things with similar symptoms. There's generally no major pattern (though there's several minor ones, especially among onset cases) among people with the condition. There's a general potential link with depression, but nothing definite. Me, near as I can tell it's genetic. Have had it since birth (or at least as far back as I can remember, so around early 3-ish), father reported the same thing and that his father had it, so... yeah.

Most I've picked up that's definite is that it's almost certainly neurological and not anything to do with the structure of the eye. So it's your brain gone funky, not your peepers.

I had to deal with stuff like that. Only it wasn't amoebas, it was bubbles and geometric shapes and it was awesome.
Yeah, it's those too, it just took me a while to stop being terrified and notice 'em :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16638 on: October 10, 2012, 10:22:18 pm »

programming as a thing always made me kind of go "Wat."
Wat, you say?

Oh my god, this is amazing. This is getting shared around the entire office tomorrow. It certainly doesn't belong in the rage thread.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16639 on: October 10, 2012, 10:24:21 pm »

Probably some diffrence of brain chemistry or something.

This is why I like tripping so much, and why most people I've tripped with freak out. I've got something different upstairs I believe.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16640 on: October 10, 2012, 11:26:31 pm »

..The only time I've ever hallucinated was....oh, last monthish when I was desprately afraid of my dreams, and stayed up for 72 hours at a stretch. That was....fun utterly fucking terrifying
Yeah, the visual snow thing was actually pretty terrifying for a long damn time. I couldn't sleep in the dark until my mid-teens, because there were giant multicolored amoebas floating in the room, presumably waiting to eat me. Lights back on please! With light, it's more of a multicolored buzz if you're not paying specific attention to it.

They've got no flipping idea, currently. May be genetic, may be onset, may be any dozen of things. May be several different things with similar symptoms. There's generally no major pattern (though there's several minor ones, especially among onset cases) among people with the condition. There's a general potential link with depression, but nothing definite. Me, near as I can tell it's genetic. Have had it since birth (or at least as far back as I can remember, so around early 3-ish), father reported the same thing and that his father had it, so... yeah.

Most I've picked up that's definite is that it's almost certainly neurological and not anything to do with the structure of the eye. So it's your brain gone funky, not your peepers.

I had to deal with stuff like that. Only it wasn't amoebas, it was bubbles and geometric shapes and it was awesome.
Yeah, it's those too, it just took me a while to stop being terrified and notice 'em :P
So i'm not crazy! Well, ay least not because of that. Geez, I was never scared of it or anything, I thought my eyes just sucked. Never noticed tham at night though. I always saw them in the sky.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16641 on: October 10, 2012, 11:54:24 pm »

So i'm not crazy! Well, ay least not because of that. Geez, I was never scared of it or anything, I thought my eyes just sucked. Never noticed tham at night though. I always saw them in the sky.

I'm not sure if this is a crazy coincidence, a bunch of concentrated hypochondria, or just something that happens to everybody but nobody talks about. Regardless, I'm there with you. BUBBLES!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16642 on: October 10, 2012, 11:58:02 pm »

I just get normal everyday hallucinations. They are fucking annoying. Stupid sounds and stupid boring but terrifying imagery.

My brain is impatient, and has a tendency to activate dream mode before I'm asleep. Sometimes before I've even gotten to bed. And always if I'm driving late at night. -_-

I guess it's kind of neat to be able to describe to people your "dreams" (if your eyes are closed) or your hallucinations (if they are open).

I really should bother to try a proper hallucinogen that isn't a dissociative at some point - I wonder if there's any effects I haven't already experienced (though probably combined in different ways)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16643 on: October 11, 2012, 12:20:27 am »

Couldnt be hypochondria. I wasn' ever scared of them. Hell, I played games where i would follow one and my vision would softly move to the left...

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16644 on: October 11, 2012, 12:24:35 am »

Couldnt be hypochondria. I wasn' ever scared of them. Hell, I played games where i would follow one and my vision would softly move to the left...

Well, hypochondria isn't quite the correct term, but it's the closest I could think of to what I was going for. Like hypochondria, but without the phobia aspect. Maybe closer to shared psychosis? I dunno. Pretty much, just one person mentioning something odd that happens to them, and then a bunch of other people saying "oh yeah me too!"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16645 on: October 11, 2012, 12:27:50 am »

That might be a floater, which is a different phenomena (though often concurrent~) and a fair bit more common than full blown snow. There's also those darting light things in the sky (E: "Blue-sky sprites") that's pretty commonly side-along with visual snow. Y'can check th'wiki page for a fair overview.

But yeah, not so much hypochondria as it not getting talked about much. From what I've seen, especially with folks that don't onset, it's not uncommon to be like twenty-something plus and not realize there's anything unusual about their visual interpretation of the world. I didn't even know it was abnormal until I was... twelve, thirteen? Something like. And then only because I was starting to get into meditation a bit.

But, from what I understand, the phenomena (or, more likely, set of similar ones) is somewhat uncommon on a statistical level, especially to a strong enough degree it's noticeable.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 12:30:28 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #16646 on: October 11, 2012, 12:31:26 am »

Well, hypochondria isn't quite the correct term, but it's the closest I could think of to what I was going for. Like hypochondria, but without the phobia aspect. Maybe closer to shared psychosis? I dunno. Pretty much, just one person mentioning something odd that happens to them, and then a bunch of other people saying "oh yeah me too!"
Alien abductions?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16647 on: October 11, 2012, 12:32:24 am »

That might be a floater, which is a different phenomena (though often concurrent~) and a fair bit more common than full blown snow. There's also those darting light things in the sky (E: "Blue-sky sprites") that's pretty commonly side-along with visual snow. Y'can check th'wiki page for a fair overview.

But yeah, not so much hypochondria as it not getting talked about much. From what I've seen, especially with folks that don't onset, it's not uncommon to be like twenty-something plus and not realize there's anything unusual about their visual interpretation of the world. I didn't even know it was abnormal until I was... twelve, thirteen? Something like. And then only because I was starting to get into meditation a bit.

But, from what I understand, the phenomena (or, more likely, set of similar ones) is somewhat uncommon on a statistical level, especially to a strong enough degree it's noticeable.
Whatever I have, its vertainly not that. A grey speck just floated past my vision. Many have coherent shapes and forms, with predictable patterns.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16648 on: October 11, 2012, 12:33:57 am »

Probably a floater. I have those, though they're difficult to see (can generally only see them in glare).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16649 on: October 11, 2012, 12:34:29 am »

Aye, that'd most likely be a floater. Those are actually somewhat common, from what I understand, and generally harmless.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 1108 1109 [1110] 1111 1112 ... 3345