Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II  (Read 34345 times)

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2010, 03:21:56 pm »

I enjoyed Diablo 2.

Starcraft. Eh. I hate the fact that I can't use actual tactics and win.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2010, 04:40:30 pm »

Yeah, starcraft's tactics bear little resemblance to those of actual battles.  They are all about unit matchups, resource management, ect.  For more realistic tactics nothing beats the total war series.  It's very satisfying to pin down your enemy with infantry, flank with cavalry, and watch them rout.  Given DF's already present mental state system, I'm looking forward to some similar battle interactions one of these years.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2010, 04:53:27 pm »

The "demo" is a guest pass. Ask someone who bought a boxed copy for a guest pass, and you will receive a 7 hour "demo."

It's a good start but they need a real demo, one that anyone can download. They should include the tutorials, because, jesus tapdancing christ they're TUTORIALS, and 3-4 missions from the game, or some custom demo missions, and maybe if they are feeling generous a single multiplayer map, and you'd have a meaty, juicy demo, with rich zesty sauce.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2010, 12:19:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EHHH?! What he says there makes for a moar compelling argument towards it... But still, hard to say, since everyone on the Hyperion drinks.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2010, 07:02:19 am »

Bay12 being the dock could easily be a referance to BOTH DF and Alien.
He is a very Dwarfy fellow, but this game does have alien infested humans and terrifying aliens with long heads that can cleave a chest plate with ease.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2010, 11:12:56 am »

And he works drunk!

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2010, 01:52:11 pm »

If toady was profit-seeking, he'd have a lot more options than to just hope for donations :P
Dwarf Fortress DLC.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2010, 09:39:33 pm »

It's a good start but they need a real demo, one that anyone can download. They should include the tutorials
Starcraft 2 has no decent tutorials. Seriously, there's 9 of them, most take about a minute to complete.

The camera tutorial amounts to "move the cursor to the edges of the screen or click on the minimap". The tutorial doesn't even teach you how to ZOOM! (And yes, you can zoom.) Seriously... most disappointing tutorials ever.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2010, 09:43:05 pm »

The camera tutorial amounts to "move the cursor to the edges of the screen or click on the minimap". The tutorial doesn't even teach you how to ZOOM! (And yes, you can zoom.) Seriously... most disappointing tutorials ever.
Don't count on it.  I've seen tutorials that only tell you how to do something after you've done it.

Fabulously unhelpful.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2010, 10:15:05 pm »

He is a very Dwarfy fellow, but this game does have alien infested humans and terrifying aliens with long heads that can cleave a chest plate with ease.

He also states in one mission debriefing that he used to work on a mining planet, so that gives more evidence of Dwarfiness

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2010, 03:51:54 am »

He also states in one mission debriefing that he used to work on a mining planet, so that gives more evidence of Dwarfiness

Pretty thin evidence, mining is taking place everywhere, all the time, in Starcraft. Even man-made space platforms are inexplicably coated with half-moon-shaped deposits of minerals and gas deposits that always leak out of tripartite vents in the surface. Even the wrecks of old spacecraft have these deposits :) The god of Starcraft... is a miner. Or perhaps a Dwarf.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2010, 10:06:56 am »

How about both?
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

SilverLight

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2010, 12:53:36 pm »

Pretty thin evidence, mining is taking place everywhere, all the time, in Starcraft. Even man-made space platforms are inexplicably coated with half-moon-shaped deposits of minerals and gas deposits that always leak out of tripartite vents in the surface. Even the wrecks of old spacecraft have these deposits :) The god of Starcraft... is a miner. Or perhaps a Dwarf.

I called blizzard support and heard the Dwarf Fortress music as some of the please hold music.  Though it sounded better.  Like they had improved it somehow. Maybe it was my head playing tricks on me.  I was anxious to play SC2 and had just spent 45mins holding the line.  The help line guy knew nothing of DF, incidentally.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2010, 01:31:34 pm »

I called blizzard support and heard the Dwarf Fortress music as some of the please hold music.  Though it sounded better.  Like they had improved it somehow. Maybe it was my head playing tricks on me.  I was anxious to play SC2 and had just spent 45mins holding the line.  The help line guy knew nothing of DF, incidentally.

I'd say this is definite proof that someone at Blizzard knows of DF.

I wonder what the legalities are of them using the music like that? I'm almost certain Tarn didn't give permission (not to imply that he wouldn't); I doubt he knows...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2010, 01:41:55 pm »

This one's thorny, but if they remixed it, it's like a band covering another band. It's like OC Remix, or various Youtube remixes. It's not the original song.

Edit: The best thing Toady could do in response is ask Blizzard to simply acknowledge "Dwarf Fortress" somewhere in the mix. No copyright pain, no unwinnable/painful lawsuits, and a zergswarm of Google hits.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:51:01 pm by Eugenitor »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11