Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 310989 times)

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, I'm still playing that older version of fortress defense (where fiend spiders were a piece of cake) and am currently trying to roast me a Jotunar siege.  Only, they aren't roasting!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only thing that has ignited is the leather breastplate the leader of the Jotunar attack is wearing.

I know they're supposed to be fire and magma immune.  But I don't see that they have the [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] tag that dragons do and read on the wiki that it should affect creatures and items that are normally immune to fire.  What can I do to make them vulnerable to fire for future sieges?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Might have to do with the following tags:

[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
      [COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]
      [HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
      [IGNITE_POINT:NONE]
      [IF_EXISTS_SET_MELTING_POINT:15000]
      [IF_EXISTS_SET_BOILING_POINT:20000]

The last four especially.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have gone into the raws and set HeatDam_Point and Ignite_Point to 15000.  While it won't affect the Jotunar already on the embark and in the trap, will future attacks use that number or will a new world have to be genned for the change to take effect?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

I have gone into the raws and set HeatDam_Point and Ignite_Point to 15000.  While it won't affect the Jotunar already on the embark and in the trap, will future attacks use that number or will a new world have to be genned for the change to take effect?

They will at least affect new spawns if they don't already affect the ones on map.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Woo, finally got the forums to actually accept my registration! So, I've got a whole list of things from my current 42.06 fort running FDII Rv18.

Sieges are sometimes failing to path towards my fortress correctly. Not sure if this is due to vanilla siege behavior or something that can be fixed with raw modding, though. It appears to be an unwillingness to abandon a dead squad leader. Had several siege forces of Hellfire Imps park themselves at the map edge for several months, despite an invitingly open entrance. At least three of these stuck sieges were ambushed immediately upon arrival by a simultaneously arriving force of Warwolves, War Elephants, or Frog Demons. After sitting at my map edge for several months killing my FPS by roasting the occasional passing Emu and lighting the entire surface forest on fire, they quietly left.

I think my latest invading force of Hellfire Imps is, in fact, led by a horse. Said horse currently appears to be random-walking rather than pathing towards my entrance, but that could change, and at least they're moving. That said, I haven't noticed the horse being spurred yet, so there's a pretty good chance of it being scared off upon noticing one of my numerous distracted tree-roosting emus or keas if it doesn't manage to get tagged soon.

Also, I think you made a mistake with the graphics raws. I haven't checked all the raws carefully, but it appears as though you offset all the weaponed sprite positions by 1. Remember, in the sprite sheet there's no separate image for recruits and default, they both share the position 0 image, and the position 1 image is wrestlers.

Spurring is an endless source of entertainment, though the fact that it shows up as a Combat report in the log is slightly annoying. A large animal population combined with lots of visitors means constantly rechecking the logs to see if the latest red C is an animal being spurred or actual combat. Is it possible to make it count as sparring for purposes of reporting instead? Anyway, I've had a weremoose mobbed to death by a flock of dozens of tame Keas, as well as the entirety of two (passage-linked) caverns explored as the result of a pair of tame Peregrines chasing a Crundle for years. My first crop of Cave Crocodiles is nearing maturity as well, which ought to be fun.

Some FD races seem to have issues claiming and/or using beds. I've noticed some of my Nagas and Badgermen taking naps on the floor of my dormitories despite dozens of unclaimed bedrooms both location-assigned and unassigned and sleep-assigned barracks. The barracks in question are outdoors and roofed with green glass retracting bridges though, so they may be affected by the inside/outside characteristic. Possibly related, many of my FD race mercenaries are rather obstinately refusing medical care. Badgers seem to be particularly prone to this, I've had many with multiple broken limbs, open wounds, and raging systemic infections continue training until they died of infection years later.

Some FD races may be too small for their weapons. I first noticed it when my Naga mercenaries refused to equip assigned Longswords. Not sure if it applies to invaders though, and I haven't checked to see which races have oversized weapons available to their entity entries. Notably, I believe Nagas are in fact too small to use Pikes, Halberds, or Longswords (Adult size 50k vs 62.5k/62.5k/52.5k required respectively, all of which are available.

Regarding naturalization, I've yet to acquire any FD races as anything other than Mercenaries so far. I've had a few Naga and Tigerman scholars visit, but not petition though.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Woo, finally got the forums to actually accept my registration! So, I've got a whole list of things from my current 42.06 fort running FDII Rv18.

Congratulations! I'm glad to see you are enjoying the mod, and I appreciate your detailed feedback. I'm still giving what you've said some thought; I'm considering your suggestions while I plan the next version and see how to resolve the bugs/potential flaws you brought up. The posts of this mod's users literally affect the content of each version.

Sieges are sometimes failing to path towards my fortress correctly. Not sure if this is due to vanilla siege behavior or something that can be fixed with raw modding, though. It appears to be an unwillingness to abandon a dead squad leader. Had several siege forces of Hellfire Imps park themselves at the map edge for several months, despite an invitingly open entrance. At least three of these stuck sieges were ambushed immediately upon arrival by a simultaneously arriving force of Warwolves, War Elephants, or Frog Demons. After sitting at my map edge for several months killing my FPS by roasting the occasional passing Emu and lighting the entire surface forest on fire, they quietly left.

This is indeed a vanilla pathfinding bug. I assume Toady plans to fix it when he makes the sieges more dynamic in the future.

Also, I think you made a mistake with the graphics raws. I haven't checked all the raws carefully, but it appears as though you offset all the weaponed sprite positions by 1. Remember, in the sprite sheet there's no separate image for recruits and default, they both share the position 0 image, and the position 1 image is wrestlers.

I'll take another look at it this weekend perhaps; life is killing me right now. If someone can confirm whether or not the sprites are incorrectly offset, that would help a great deal.

Spurring is an endless source of entertainment, though the fact that it shows up as a Combat report in the log is slightly annoying. A large animal population combined with lots of visitors means constantly rechecking the logs to see if the latest red C is an animal being spurred or actual combat. Is it possible to make it count as sparring for purposes of reporting instead? Anyway, I've had a weremoose mobbed to death by a flock of dozens of tame Keas, as well as the entirety of two (passage-linked) caverns explored as the result of a pair of tame Peregrines chasing a Crundle for years. My first crop of Cave Crocodiles is nearing maturity as well, which ought to be fun.

It might be possible to make the interaction not show up in combat logs; I'll have to do some research into that. Other than that, I like to see the !!!FUN!!! that results from berserk carnage.

Some FD races seem to have issues claiming and/or using beds. I've noticed some of my Nagas and Badgermen taking naps on the floor of my dormitories despite dozens of unclaimed bedrooms both location-assigned and unassigned and sleep-assigned barracks. The barracks in question are outdoors and roofed with green glass retracting bridges though, so they may be affected by the inside/outside characteristic. Possibly related, many of my FD race mercenaries are rather obstinately refusing medical care. Badgers seem to be particularly prone to this, I've had many with multiple broken limbs, open wounds, and raging systemic infections continue training until they died of infection years later.

I've had this happen to fortress citizens as well whose personalities made them love fighting and have high discipline. It might be a vanilla behavior that affects mercs more because they tend to be less skilled and armored and thus more injury-prone.

Some FD races may be too small for their weapons. I first noticed it when my Naga mercenaries refused to equip assigned Longswords. Not sure if it applies to invaders though, and I haven't checked to see which races have oversized weapons available to their entity entries. Notably, I believe Nagas are in fact too small to use Pikes, Halberds, or Longswords (Adult size 50k vs 62.5k/62.5k/52.5k required respectively, all of which are available.

Maybe I'll double the size of Nagas in the next version, along with altering their names. That should handily solve the problems you mentioned and make them a little more fun to boot.

Regarding naturalization, I've yet to acquire any FD races as anything other than Mercenaries so far. I've had a few Naga and Tigerman scholars visit, but not petition though.

Checking the raws, I think FD races can currently only come as mercs, it seems.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:21:40 pm by darkflagrance »

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I'm playing an absolutely fascinating fortress here. My dwarf civ is dying (king in the first year yayyyyy!) though I still get migrants every once in a while. That being said, I'm close to a very strong badger man civ, and I get TONS of badger men. So many they are my whole military, minus squad leaders.

There does seem to be a minor bug though. They are all showing tired in the wounds screen, despite owning rooms and sleeping in them. This even goes for ones who aren't actively training and just camp out in the tavern. Any idea why that might be? 

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

So I'm playing an absolutely fascinating fortress here. My dwarf civ is dying (king in the first year yayyyyy!) though I still get migrants every once in a while. That being said, I'm close to a very strong badger man civ, and I get TONS of badger men. So many they are my whole military, minus squad leaders.

There does seem to be a minor bug though. They are all showing tired in the wounds screen, despite owning rooms and sleeping in them. This even goes for ones who aren't actively training and just camp out in the tavern. Any idea why that might be?

One possibility is that they are avoiding sleep due to taking care of other needs or becoming in engaged in sparring/debate/entertainment. Tiredness might also be accumulated from sparring simply by virtue of it being combat, and maybe badgermen are more likely to engage in it than vanilla dwarves. Any other mercenaries showing this problem?

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Allright, here is what I know:

1. I am only getting badger men as mercs, so this is confined to them as a data set.
2. They are sleeping in their bedrooms which were assigned to the tavern. This does not remove tiredness for mercenaries assigned to a squad (I think, still testing).
3. Mercenaries not part of a squad seep to sleep everywhere just fine, including in dormitories and on grass.

More to follow as I figure it out.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Allright, here is what I know:

1. I am only getting badger men as mercs, so this is confined to them as a data set.
2. They are sleeping in their bedrooms which were assigned to the tavern. This does not remove tiredness for mercenaries assigned to a squad (I think, still testing).
3. Mercenaries not part of a squad seep to sleep everywhere just fine, including in dormitories and on grass.

More to follow as I figure it out.

This might be a vanilla bug, if mercs don't use their beds to actually sleep.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Allrighty, still working on figuring out what's going on here. A few more observations:

1. I can confirm they are using the beds to sleep. They go into their (tavern assigned) rooms properly, and go to sleep on the beds. I made sure a couple weren't interrupted, and they stayed tired after they woke up.

2. There have been forgotten beasts, so there is a chance this could be some kind of syndrome? I think it's unlikely since they were a long time ago and none of the impacted badger men have any beast related stuff on them, but further testing is required to rule it out 100%.

3. My best guess is once a badger man merc arrived in the fort they just become unable to get the benefits of resting for some reason, since the new arrivals do not have this problem... but I haven't been super specific about keeping track of how long they have been here. I'm doing that now though, so I should generate some data.

4. I'm waiting for one to apply for full citizenship to see if that fixes the issue. More to follow when that happens.

5. I was attacked by eighty raptor men riding horses. I'm trying to picture that, and it's not working.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Allrighty, still working on figuring out what's going on here. A few more observations:

1. I can confirm they are using the beds to sleep. They go into their (tavern assigned) rooms properly, and go to sleep on the beds. I made sure a couple weren't interrupted, and they stayed tired after they woke up.

2. There have been forgotten beasts, so there is a chance this could be some kind of syndrome? I think it's unlikely since they were a long time ago and none of the impacted badger men have any beast related stuff on them, but further testing is required to rule it out 100%.

3. My best guess is once a badger man merc arrived in the fort they just become unable to get the benefits of resting for some reason, since the new arrivals do not have this problem... but I haven't been super specific about keeping track of how long they have been here. I'm doing that now though, so I should generate some data.

4. I'm waiting for one to apply for full citizenship to see if that fixes the issue. More to follow when that happens.

5. I was attacked by eighty raptor men riding horses. I'm trying to picture that, and it's not working.

Maybe it's related to noise propagation? I remember in earlier versions things like construction, mining, smoothing, or workshops would create noise that would disturb sleep/leave a bad thought. I need to find some time to do some science of my own. Maybe posting the save would help.

Also
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:30:07 pm by darkflagrance »

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stupid question but I don't have time to figure this out because the wife and kid both just got sick. What is the utility for uploading a save again? Don't want to put a bugged mod save into the master bug tracker and have Toady end up wasting his time poking at it.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Um. Don't mercenaries remain mercenaries forever without petitioning for citizenship, or has that been changed in 0.43?

Anyway, if it's not a noise issue, it sounds like a forgotten beast syndrome is the likely culprit. Syndromes can have permanent effects that persist even after washing off all dust/extract/blood/whatever. My last fort had my entire spear squad permanently feverish and blistered for well over a decade, though without blood loss or any other effects, due to taking on a Deadly Dust-laden FB. This is despite them passing through a Dwarven Bathtub in my cavern access hallway. I believe there's a DFHack script or plugin that lets you check syndromes on a unit. I've had issues with mercenaries refusing to use beds and napping on barracks floors, but I don't think I've ever spotted one that was tired after resting.

Presumably you can toss the zipped save up on dffd.bay12games.com, though a third-party file host like mega.nz or something may be better.

As for the sprites, I'll recheck them all in a few days when I have the time and inclination.

Regarding FD races as visitors, I've had Tigermen, Pandashi, Naga, Furies, Badgermen, Ferric Elves, and War Elephants show up as mercenaries. Scholars are a bit tougher to remember, but I'm fairly sure I've seen Tigermen, Pandashi, Naga, Frogmen, Ferric Elves, and Badgermen. The only FD entertainers I've seen are a pair of Frogmen that arrived as part of a performance troupe that included a Ferric Elf and a couple of humans and goblins. Also, I've now seen Badgermen and Pandashi necromancers; a single one of the latter leading about three dozen assorted zombies led to my current fort reaching a low of two surviving dwarves before eventual recovery. It turns out a Martial Trance-capable necromancer that's larger than a dwarf is significantly more difficult to assassinate than a vanilla necromancer. Various FD races were also represented in the zombie horde.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Stupid question but I don't have time to figure this out because the wife and kid both just got sick. What is the utility for uploading a save again? Don't want to put a bugged mod save into the master bug tracker and have Toady end up wasting his time poking at it.

Create an account here and then upload a file. It will give you a link you can then post.

Actually, if you can just send me the gamelog.txt file that might be enough to see if a forgotten beast cause it via syndrome.

I'm personally waiting until the weekend to test. My current job requires me to work till 7, and it takes me almost 2 hours to get home...

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 80