Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - !Open Source! 3D Visualizer - 31.25-34.11 Support  (Read 367074 times)

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you tried running it under Opgengl?. That sounds like a shader issue, but almost all cards should support the shader for Ogreseer. Anything with Dx 8 or 9 support which has been around for a few years now.

OpenGL still causes a crash. I can only use directX3d9. I am using an old XP PC, so I only assume my graphics card is too outdated.
[/quote]

It very well may be, try updating the drivers from manufacturer's website if you can find any new ones, and good luck with that =P On old PC's I hate to change anything if their working.......
I voted for BANANA!

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, yeah. Your Intel 82945G Express card seems to support "Vertex Shader 2.0" and "Pixel Shader 2.0" -- IIRC we used a few Shader Model 2.0a features in our shader.

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam

Hmm, yeah. Your Intel 82945G Express card seems to support "Vertex Shader 2.0" and "Pixel Shader 2.0" -- IIRC we used a few Shader Model 2.0a features in our shader.

Ah well, thanks. Its still usable, so not a big deal. After going through my Ogre log, I noticed the program flips out and crashes when it tries loading the skybox? Anyway I can just tell it to not bother?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:10:58 pm by Lucelle »
Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After going through my Ogre log, I noticed the program flips out and crashes when it tries loading the skybox? Anyway I can just tell it to not bother?

I don't think so... the skybox is more integrated than just being a box coloured with a shader, there's a lot of support stuff on the C++ side. What is crashing, exactly? Just shader compilation stuff, or the whole program?

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam

After going through my Ogre log, I noticed the program flips out and crashes when it tries loading the skybox? Anyway I can just tell it to not bother?

I don't think so... the skybox is more integrated than just being a box coloured with a shader, there's a lot of support stuff on the C++ side. What is crashing, exactly? Just shader compilation stuff, or the whole program?

Ogre log
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm seeing some "not supported" messages too, so I don't think I can fix this anyhow.
Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ogre log

I'm seeing some "not supported" messages too, so I don't think I can fix this anyhow.
Well, don't worry about the exceptions, those are impostors generated by the vegetation. The veggie paging library does that, apparently. The only "not supported" thing in the blurb you posted is from our triplanar shader (which is what all world geometry is drawn with). AFAIK there isn't a way to get that working on just Shader Model 2.0.

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam

Ogre log

Well, don't worry about the exceptions, those are impostors generated by the vegetation. The veggie paging library does that, apparently. The only "not supported" thing in the blurb you posted is from our triplanar shader (which is what all world geometry is drawn with). AFAIK there isn't a way to get that working on just Shader Model 2.0.

Alright, I figured as much. Thanks for your help.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I seem unable to download this. For some reason, it downloads at a rate of about 5kb/s, and then quits about 5 minutes in.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sexy Mustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MORE SCREENSHOTS!!
These are all of Skyscrapes http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53814.0 and I in no way take any credit for the construction of such a glorious megaconstruction.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I seem unable to download this. For some reason, it downloads at a rate of about 5kb/s, and then quits about 5 minutes in.

Try again today? DFFD can be slow sometimes. I'll upload a copy to our google code site as well.

There hasn't been a terrible amount of movement behind the scenes recently -- I've been pretty damn busy, even on the weekends, so I haven't actually gotten any more code written. I have, however, done a lot of discussion with other people in #dfhack about geometry generation techniques, and how to overcome our information limitation if we do attempt to implement a dual contouring approach. There's a lot of crazy math behind some isosurface extraction techniques, and I've been reading a bunch of academic papers trying to wrap my head around everything and formulate a way to bring it all together in a way that works with DF-style data. We're pretty convinced that there will be some estimation and fudging involved, but of what type exactly we're not yet sure. If anybody's interested in more details about what I'm working on with geometry generation, let me know.

Since it's going to be a while before the next major release (I don't see dual contouring being conquered soon), I'm going to put out a maintenance release in a bit. Mostly to address what was noted above regarding mouse grabbing and screenshots (spacebar to grab/release mouse, p/printscreen automatically dumps window contents to a file). I may throw a few other small things in there as well. I don't foresee buildings and stairs and such showing up again until after I'm happy with the geometry generator, so we can get consistent procedural generation going across the board.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile

Wow, those look great!  I particularly like how precarious the 1 tile microline walkway looks on that bottom shot.  I may have to design a few things with that rendering in mind.

With the caveat that I know this is a long, long way away, I have a feature request for the next major release: glass.  I imagine glass is the kind of thing that can, with transparancy, reflection, and refraction, take up as much processing power (and time) as you would like to throw at it.  But even a basic placeholder (with maybe a glinty texture) that allowed to differentiate glass from other constructions would be amazing.  Stonesense, I think, does a really good job with this.  Aren't green glass constructions completely opaque in some circumstances?
At last, she is done.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's one of the things we're addressing with the new isosurface extractor. None of PolyVox's default extractors support transparent voxels -- you can't arbitrarily define a hard boundary between different kinds of voxels. Right now, if we were to just detect materials and set things as transparent, you'd see straight through the mesh (definitely not what anybody wants).

While I'm writing our new dual isosurface extractor, I plan to put in conditions for boundaries between different types of voxels. That'll let us have boundaries show up between transparent voxels and nontransparent voxels (or even between different types of transparent voxels), so there'll be a few extra faces rendered that prevent holes in the mesh.

Anyways, point is: the next release that contains the new geometry generator will by design have transparent water and glass.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can somebody help me out on this? I'm trying to get Overseer to display my fort, and it keeps doing this:

Those are constructed walls there--they should be connected across z-levels to make pillars; they aren't. What's going on here?

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, that's some funky geometry. Can you upload the DF save (not the .dfmap) somewhere for me to play with?

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, here's the save--
http://www.2shared.com/file/mWUrUQxR/region2.html

The region in the photo is below the surface, about fifty to ninety z-levels down. The large empty area is not a glitch; it was mined out to make room for the large building.

Edit: I should have remembered to say I've had this happen in other forts before, and that I'm playing DF2010.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:48:35 pm by Callista »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 53